Great Central Railway news

andyram

• RMweb Premium

Like the met cam dmu.

I have never been to the GCR but from what I have seen both in picture and on tv it looks like a place to have a great weekend.

Is the dmu a full 4 car of 2 driving coaches and 2 trailers, its the 1st time I have ever seen a 4 car dmu that is not made up of 2 x 2 car sets.

I have seen pictures of dmu's as 2, 3 and 4 car sets but never in real life.

It is a 3 car set with an extra driving car attached. It looks a bit odd to see the two driver's cabs at the end where the extra car has been added but I am sure it must have happened in "real life" sometime. Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is a 3 car set with an extra driving car attached. It looks a bit odd to see the two driver's cabs at the end where the extra car has been added but I am sure it must have happened in "real life" sometime.

It was formed of a DMBS - TBS - DMCL + DMCL as viewed in the above photo. The TBS being a buffet car within the 3 car set with speed whiskers, the extra DMCL was SYP and as someone pointed out, was topically displaying Windemere on the destination blind.

Extra cars were common to strengthen sets and bubblecars often took the place of a sets driving car if one was out of action.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Nice picture. Is it from this weekend? I thought the 8F and 9F were the rostered locomotives.

Thanks Andy, yes, that's right, taken today, light engine for the driver experience. I was expecting to see the 8F out and about too, but as far as I could tell it was the 9F, the Ivatt and the Class 33.

Still, it made for a marvellous sight and sound at Rothley. Good cup of tea on the platform too :-)

all the best,

Keith

[blimey this is my 1000th post on RMWeb!]

Edited by tractionman
  • Like 1

forget the footy, I'd rather be here:

attachicon.gifDSC_1504.JPG

a very sunny Rothley!

cheers,

Keith

Yep, watching 22 millionaires running about and occasionally  throwing themselves to the ground in a fit of pique (though not violently enough to displace their expensive coiffure) or, stood beside a railway locomotive - no competition in my mind Keith.

Guy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Further north on the old GCR:

News item in the Sheffield Star about a plan to reintroduce passenger commuter and steam services on the Victoria-Stocksbridge line.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/forgotten-sheffield-railway-line-could-be-revived-with-steam-trains-and-commuter-services-1-9270316/amp

It says the GCR has raised 8m to reunite the 18 miles of line from Leicester-Ruddington which is a nice thought. I wonder how reliable the rest of the news item is.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

News from the GCR about the upcoming 'End of Steam' weekends: 50 years since the end of BR steam event.

"First weekend - 4th and 5th August 2018. Revised timetable and reduced fares announced!

This weekend is the first of two to commemorate the final days of steam on British Railways, and an intensive gala timetable was originally planned for this special occasion.

The very hot and dry weather of recent weeks has greatly increased the risk of lineside fires, despite a limited amount of rainfall last weekend. As a result of the conditions and after discussions with the Fire Service we have devised a special timetable to provide a busy and interesting service featuring both passenger and goods trains with the maximum number of steam locomotive turns possible in these very unusual circumstances. Diesel traction will also feature to supplement the steam locomotives on show. The revised timetable is available on our website.

In view of these changes and as a gesture of goodwill we have decided to reduce the originally advertised fares, and our normal runabout fares will now be in operation on 4th and 5th August 2018. Visitors who have already purchased tickets online for the event will be contacted and the difference in price will be returned to them.

The event is now due to feature three steam locomotives including 70013 “Oliver Cromwell”, a Class 2MT (46521 or 78018), and Standard 5 73156 (subject to completion of new spark arresting equipment). Brush Type 4 1705, Sulzer Type 2 D5185, and our Diesel Railcar will also be in service.

Further details will be posted on our website throughout this week."

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

News from the GCR about the upcoming 'End of Steam' weekends: 50 years since the end of BR steam event.

"First weekend - 4th and 5th August 2018. Revised timetable and reduced fares announced!

This weekend is the first of two to commemorate the final days of steam on British Railways, and an intensive gala timetable was originally planned for this special occasion.

The very hot and dry weather of recent weeks has greatly increased the risk of lineside fires, despite a limited amount of rainfall last weekend. As a result of the conditions and after discussions with the Fire Service we have devised a special timetable to provide a busy and interesting service featuring both passenger and goods trains with the maximum number of steam locomotive turns possible in these very unusual circumstances. Diesel traction will also feature to supplement the steam locomotives on show. The revised timetable is available on our website.

In view of these changes and as a gesture of goodwill we have decided to reduce the originally advertised fares, and our normal runabout fares will now be in operation on 4th and 5th August 2018. Visitors who have already purchased tickets online for the event will be contacted and the difference in price will be returned to them.

The event is now due to feature three steam locomotives including 70013 “Oliver Cromwell”, a Class 2MT (46521 or 78018), and Standard 5 73156 (subject to completion of new spark arresting equipment). Brush Type 4 1705, Sulzer Type 2 D5185, and our Diesel Railcar will also be in service.

Further details will be posted on our website throughout this week."

Presumably, to be true to the whole concept of August 4th, there will be no further steam locomotives used on the GCR after this weekend?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Actually, it all happens again the following weekend 11-12 Aug to commemorate the actual 50th anniversary of the end of BR steam, hope we get some rain in between or there will be more diesels.....the Brush & Sulzer fleet is running well with Gronks appearing on surprising duties.

Then we have the Autumn steam gala, 4-7 Oct with star guests Bulleid Light Pacific 34092 City of Wells, and Thompson B1 1264.

It's all good. Friday I'm riding on a friends driving experience train.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...