Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• 2 weeks later...

Aviemore finally has its first train running, very happy now.Only have the one loop running, just to do the sidings and engine shed. It's annoying how many times you have to keep fiddling track to get a smooth run before I was happy. Right.must now try and work out why my new chipped scotrail 170 won't work.

post-23658-0-84943800-1438371350_thumb.jpg

post-23658-0-51534300-1438371368_thumb.jpg

post-23658-0-99662800-1438371382_thumb.jpg

Aviemore finally has its first train running, very happy now.Only have the one loop running, just to do the sidings and engine shed. It's annoying how many times you have to keep fiddling track to get a smooth run before I was happy. Right.must now try and work out why my new chipped scotrail 170 won't work.

Pleased to see you have something running. Is that the Scotrail 170 that I chipped for you? I thought that we had it running on Neely?

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is a little update, I now have started the fiddle yard and will be building up the wooden supports at the back to support this. I have just ordered some dual frog juicers for my crossovers. Hopefully these will sort out the tripping that occurs here.(still learning the electrics as it is not my favourite bit). It is nice to be able to get some stock running at least on the scenic side. I Will be installing one of many servo point motors next along with finally fitting the nce controller plate( I will need two more for other end). Thanks to terry for playing his important part in keeping my 170 alive.

post-23658-0-97552600-1439660313_thumb.jpg

post-23658-0-90691600-1439660329_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update dcc point servos ordered and Dapol magnetic auto uncoupling strips. I was also naughty and ordered a new Heljan oo gauge Park royal railbus. This is a Scottish one with aviemore on the destination board. Just wish one is available in n gauge. First trial point motor was fitted yesterday with great success just need the rain to stop so I can cut some more boards for the fiddle yard and back scenery.

• 2 months later...

Well I have had a bit more time now the summer is over, I have put in a few more point motors and started the platforms. Unfortunately I have obtained a more detailed and correct track layout plan but I'm not far out. With the lack of space I have decided to leave it as it is. I have been finding more photos for research which is how I came across the plan. If I can get anywhere near to the images I will be over the moon ( anyone know anywhere to transfer slides to photos?). Need to finish laying track in the fiddle yard and make it bigger than I have currently.

post-23658-0-46579800-1445941460_thumb.jpeg

post-23658-0-72082800-1445941496_thumb.jpeg

post-23658-0-84599400-1445941601_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well not much has happened apart from having to move locations in the room it is situated. I have now painted the Highland footbridge and started marking the platform edges. I have also finished painting the Sheldon crane I made ( transfers in n gauge are so fiddly). Progress has been slow mainly to work commitments and finally finishes to my other layout hopefully for its first exhibition this year.

post-23658-0-02896400-1452159426_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Any progress updates? I'm looking to build Aviemore in 3mm/ft (14.2mm gauge) and seeing photos off this and the OO scale version look very good. Also does anyone have photos of Aviemore from the 1950s to the 1960s? I'm going off the trackplan posted on the previous page.

Please bear in mind that the track plan posted on the previous page is much compressed compared with the original and some changes were made to fit the space available.

You can see the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map that covers most of the station area here:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/82887444

Unfortunately the 25 inch mapping does not include all of the engine shed area.

Google Earth will be useful as the basic layout has not changed all that much over the years.  The main omissions are the bay platform sidings (now shops) and the loops and sidings where the Strathspey plaform is now.

Regards.

Please bear in mind that the track plan posted on the previous page is much compressed compared with the original and some changes were made to fit the space available.

You can see the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map that covers most of the station area here:

Unfortunately the 25 inch mapping does not include all of the engine shed area.

Google Earth will be useful as the basic layout has not changed all that much over the years.  The main omissions are the bay platform sidings (now shops) and the loops and sidings where the Strathspey plaform is now.

Regards.

Is there anywhere I could get a full trackplan? The Ordnance Survey isn't very good, I'm going to take it and try and fix it up to make it a trackplan.

Thanks for the info though

Is there anywhere I could get a full trackplan? The Ordnance Survey isn't very good, I'm going to take it and try and fix it up to make it a trackplan.

LMS Engine Sheds by OPC has a lot on the MPD area of Aviemore, including a detailed OS that covers the whole of the north end of the station.

http://www.lindatinkerrailwaybooks.co.uk/lms-sheds-6-highland but you can get it cheaper than this if you hunt around

All of the station buildings and engine have the original plans preserved on Am Baile.

Hello thanks for the interest in aviemore. I do have a better track plan that I would have preferred to use but trying to fit everything within 12 feet is a mission. I would have preferred it to be more prototypical on the south end. I will post the track plan when I find it and some more photos.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It has been along while not posting any updates. After two moves around the house aviemore is finally in its permanent home in the loft. I have been doing a couple of projects one is a railbus which needs another coat of paint and decals. I have the tomix chassis but this is in the progress of being Dcc fitted. I have also started on aviemore signal box please feel free to comment or add suggestions as this has more work to do on it. I also have the working signals made by mark Seward fantastic job but made my platforms look rubbish so they are being redone. Hopefully I can supply photos soon of the layout progress once I have some decent lighting fixed up.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Whilst the layout is slowly coming back together I have been concentrating on some of the stock to be used. I have been having a go at this 3D printed railbus from shapeways. I must say doing decals in n gauge is very frustrating especially when you don't get much time and two under gives want your attention. Well only windows, weathering the chassis and getting some aviemore destination boards done.

post-23658-0-63653800-1484596901_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well you only have yourself to blame for the lack of time, being all swanky and skipping off to the bright lights.....

I don't envy you your task of lining in 2mm. I struggle in 4mm!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Only if you bin the 2mm and move to a sensible scale! I've noticed that my eyes are getting worse, and I don't want to have to get Mr Magoo glasses to model with!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if this would help?

25 inch OS maps, albeit from 1901, but it may help combined with other sources?