Neil, who did the commission for you if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks

Hello scottystich thankyou , I sourced the plans of the shed online and had the measurements roughly checked whilst visiting on one of my many to aviemore. This was then sent of and done as a commission for me which has come out very well.

Afraid that wasnt me...that would be Doug who is part of the owning Trust for 828.

Lovely trip to Aviemore today to spend time with the family on the Santa special. Worth every penny and completely knackered. Little ones loved it and even the driver etc blew the whistle as we passed them leaving which the kids loved the driver liked it more when we pooped our car horn back. (Two scoops)?
Really wish you could get a model of 828 in n gauge.

• Like 1

Neil would it be possible to please get a couple of pictures around the shed?  ie the back and sides as well as the front please?

I will when I get to the club next so I can take some. I have not put all the clutter that is there at the moment it will be hard for anyone to see other than the operator.

Neil would it be possible to please get a couple of pictures around the shed?  ie the back and sides as well as the front please?

Speaking of the shed, you wouldn't happen to have a small but perfectly formed 'Ben Alder' stashed away in there somewhere?

I used to go ski-ing in the second half of the 60s from Aviemore (your layout would have to be significantly longer at the North End to feature our boarding house, but it was a Mrs Kennedy, whose crockery, weirdly, was all souvenirs from Devon!). You are really capturing the feel of the place. For just a little more authenticity if you have some 68-69 ish moments, try parking a small Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST on the East-most siding: it was there for a couple of years, presumably ex some distillery and awaiting what is now the Strathspey Railway.

The ritual after boarding house tea was to walk down towards the station in the gloaming and view the southbound sleeper, double-headed by 25s or 26s  (as they weren't called, of course, then). In my mind I see them sometimes as NBL Type 2s but I know that is a 'false memory' - another part of Scotland and some years before! Ah, to have been just a couple of years older!

Speaking of the shed, you wouldn't happen to have a small but perfectly formed 'Ben Alder' stashed away in there somewhere?

I used to go ski-ing in the second half of the 60s from Aviemore (your layout would have to be significantly longer at the North End to feature our boarding house, but it was a Mrs Kennedy, whose crockery, weirdly, was all souvenirs from Devon!). You are really capturing the feel of the place. For just a little more authenticity if you have some 68-69 ish moments, try parking a small Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST on the East-most siding: it was there for a couple of years, presumably ex some distillery and awaiting what is now the Strathspey Railway.

The ritual after boarding house tea was to walk down towards the station in the gloaming and view the southbound sleeper, double-headed by 25s or 26s  (as they weren't called, of course, then). In my mind I see them sometimes as NBL Type 2s but I know that is a 'false memory' - another part of Scotland and some years before! Ah, to have been just a couple of years older!

Hello lanchester I wish I could have a wee ben alder or a few other similar locos in there if they were available. I have seen photos of a wee Andrew Barclay stored away on what I believe would have been the old siding to the coaling stage. we stay up there a lot each year when time allows on the dalfaber estate but have now got somewhere in Dalwhinnie to stay. I do have on the layout a rake of sleeper stoke which two green 26's or 25's with sound. A few sacrifices had to be made to get the layout into the 14 foot I have now but to get everything in up to Dafalber drive and Dalraddy in the south would have easily doubled the length. 

Called into Aviemore yesterday and grabbed some snaps that might be off interest.

Thankyou this is an area I would love to copy inside in time. I have left the roof vent open at present so you can see inside at a future date.

I have got to try and find some similar lamps for the lighting first. I am happy the railway secured the class 31 it must be a great asset. I have a friend staying with us in August when we are in our home. How is would it be to get the 31 on a dedicated trip to broom hill for my friend who is crazy about hem? Or do we have to go down the same route as we did for our wedding?

Hi Neil

Yes it is great that the 31 has been secured and they were working away on it to get it ready for the running season when I was in.  As regard getting runs with it, im afraid I dont know how that would work or who is best to contact.  It is probably something that would have to be organised through the main office.  The 31 is out reasonably frequently so it may be able that he could coincide with a normal running day and get a trip.

Tim

Thankyou this is an area I would love to copy inside in time. I have left the roof vent open at present so you can see inside at a future date.
I have got to try and find some similar lamps for the lighting first. I am happy the railway secured the class 31 it must be a great asset. I have a friend staying with us in August when we are in our home. How is would it be to get the 31 on a dedicated trip to broom hill for my friend who is crazy about hem? Or do we have to go down the same route as we did for our wedding?

Hi Neil

Yes it is great that the 31 has been secured and they were working away on it to get it ready for the running season when I was in.  As regard getting runs with it, im afraid I dont know how that would work or who is best to contact.  It is probably something that would have to be organised through the main office.  The 31 is out reasonably frequently so it may be able that he could coincide with a normal running day and get a trip.

Tim

Thanks Tim

I will email Jill or the office to see what the chances are when we are up there.

Thanks for the help :locomotive:

• Like 1

I have taken more photos for you to look at. The main criticism I would have is making sure that the roofs over lap the whole structure. Mine were cut the same size pretty much as the letch of the walls not giving any overlap so I had to make those bits look good with ridge tiles etc. The thickness of the wood is plenty strong enough but care has to be taken if moving about. Hope the pictures help.

post-23658-0-31077700-1521753149_thumb.jpeg

post-23658-0-00668800-1521753163_thumb.jpeg

post-23658-0-22636300-1521753183_thumb.jpeg

post-23658-0-73046300-1521753199_thumb.jpeg

post-23658-0-83229300-1521753213_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Well the end is near. Just finished off a bit of road embankment and finishing up small jobs. Been worrying about lighting but I do thing that is now sorted. A huge Thankyou to Terry Metcalfe for helping out with my coal shed that looks ten times better than how I left it last. My son jack helped run in the locos ready for its first exhibition in may so I just need to sort out the line up and the rakes of stock that ran in March 1960. I chose that month as there was still a nice variety of locos roster from the shed. Two more signals also need fitting in along with some other tinkering bits including fitting a motor the the turntable but I have no rush for that at present.

post-23658-0-14414000-1522786247_thumb.jpeg

post-23658-0-56076700-1522786265_thumb.jpeg

post-23658-0-54863600-1522786293_thumb.jpeg

post-23658-0-91254500-1522786310_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Neil

How did you go about the painting?  Was it done by airbrush as it looks to be an excellent job!

Aviemore engine shed is here and I have taken many hours in getting the painting right. I hope this does the layout justice as this and the station are the main features.

Hi Neil

How did you go about the painting?  Was it done by airbrush as it looks to be an excellent job!

Hello Tim

Believe it or not I used a wilko small hand roller with a grey put in a tray then lightly rolled over not to heavy so it kept the detail in the stone work. I painted the odd stone work here and there by hand to break up the different colours. (no airbrush was used).

• Like 1

I have just been spending time finishing the back scene which i hope will make me feel better with the joins. I am now starting to look at how to control my working signals. i am going to have to position my servos a way from the signal itself as i am lacking space due to other motors. Has anyone come across a small 90 degree angle i.e meccano or metal kit that can be used? I have used the angle parts that you can get for the servos but i need to adapt a wire from this to the signal itself. Any help would be appreciated.