RMweb

Trestle Supports

My new layout needs to be portable and I've been looking at adjustable trestles available at IKEA for £25 a time, with a maximum height of 93cm. Has anyone used these or is there a better alternative? I'd like the layout to be a comfortable working height which to me is about 4 foot, sorry to mix my measurements but I can only judge things knowing that a metre is 3'3"

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00225293/

You could try Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/telescopic-trestle/30312?_requestid=184508

these are metal, adjustable up to 1300mm / 51 inches.

Have you thought of making your own from wood? Not too difficult and can be done without even having to cut any joints.

Yea, have made them in the past but wanted something better finished than I could do. Worth a thought though.

I would endorse the screwfix ones, I have two that I use to support my N gauge 5' 6" x 3' 6" layout with two battens fixed to the stops on the top of the trestles, works very well.

regards

mike g

• RMweb Premium

I have four and currently only need only two (Aldii think metal adjustable height)

Make me a offer for two

Eftel

I've used the Ikea ones with no problems. I have them at their maximum height and they are very stable.

My layout is 2 foot wide and this sits easily on the trestles. They have little plastic plugs that fit in holes on the top surface to stop the layout moving, very effective!

I've used the Ikea ones with no problems. I have them at their maximum height and they are very stable.

My layout is 2 foot wide and this sits easily on the trestles. They have little plastic plugs that fit in holes on the top surface to stop the layout moving, very effective!

That's good to know, I need 4, a trip to IKEA seems on the cards - wish me luck in finding the exit.

Archived