Wiring n scale Peco scissors

Xartrax

Hi,

Here is a simplified version of a layout I am building.

I am wiring a small n scale layout which will have 2 wired blocks or sections. Each block consists of an oval, one inside the other and parallel to each other. I use DPDT switches to direct power from either controller 1 or controller 2 to either of the two blocks.

I will use a Peco scissors switch to go from the inside oval to the outside and vise versa. I will use the Peco wiring instructions for 2 controller use. The scissors switch will be totally isolated on all ends with isolation connectors.

My question is: when wired as directed, will each of the straight through parallel tracks of the scissors switch be isolated? Such that two engines could operate at the same time, one with controller 1 on the inside oval using one straight through of the scissors and a second with contoller 2 on the outside oval using the other straight through?

Another way to put it is, wired using the directions, will each of the straights be electrically independent of each other when the points are all set to run straight through.

The result I want is the same as using 4 turnouts (2 turnouts running from one parallel track to the other and the other 2 turnouts running back from one parrallel to the other. Each of the pairs would be isolated with isolation connectors so that each parallel track would be electrically separate. (See attached)

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks

Tim

• RMweb Premium

As no-one who knows from experience (I don't :scratchhead:) has ventured a reply yet, I will say the picture of the scissors in the Peco catalogue appears to show breaks in all the rails leading to the frogs at the ends of the diamond - so I assume so!  And if I had one of these and it didn't do what you want it to do, I'd be pretty p'd off, as it seems to me to be to be a fundamental necessity for this track formation.

Best of luck ..... 

• 5 months later...

Hi

Peco state in the instructions that you need a 4 pole change over switch. They supply one and I'm sure the instructions supplied with the scissors explains how to wire it all up. If you're using dcc it gets easier because you could use a frog juicer - expensive but it works.

A search reveals this thread (and whether to follow 'best practice' or not. I suggest you do).

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46810-dcc-friendly-mods-for-peco-55-finescale-points/

Except that topic has no mention of the Scissors crossover that is the subject, hence my suggestion to search for Scissors, which brings up this one which has the requested info.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/34896-peco-scissors-cross-over/

Regards

Archived