Can i change the bogies on the pictured loco...

ianb26

I have an old Triang loco (my favourite actually) R159A/R250A built in Australia... Is it possible to change the bogies to the more modern type? I'm having trouble running it even on code 100 track, which I never had originally.

Your call, but my feeling is that these older items lose a little of their charm with every 'improvement'.

I have an old Traing Princess of similar vintage. Still on the original wheels, I have ground down and reprofiled the flanges just enough to work on code 75 when combined with a slight regauging. Nothing sophisticated, all done by eye and handwork using an old coarse tool sharpening stone, and pragmatic gauge adjustment (widening) until it ran smoothly. That way the thing still looks relatively original - and was I excited all those years ago when Dad produced it on my birthday - yet runs on a current layout; with DCC control which is the easiest thing to arrange on these old motors.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kevin,

Loved the article. It's given me an idea! That second B class you gave me is in slightly (not much though) better condition than mine, and after reading the article, I'm going to try and run one loco with 2 motors. Hope it works! Also thanks for the steam loco. It's not running as well as I would like , but it needs a clean up, and some of the connecting rods need replacing. Do you know what sort of loco it is? I will post some photos of it later for others to see.

Once again,

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Kevin,

Loved the article. It's given me an idea! That second B class you gave me is in slightly (not much though) better condition than mine, and after reading the article, I'm going to try and run one loco with 2 motors. Hope it works! Also thanks for the steam loco. It's not running as well as I would like , but it needs a clean up, and some of the connecting rods need replacing. Do you know what sort of loco it is? I will post some photos of it later for others to see.

Once again,

Thanks.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=1094

I think the 2 locos will work together, BUT I have to change the pickup connections. All my other locos go forward when the direction switch is set to forward, but the other B class goes in reverse!!! As for the steam loco, it is a French loco. It also needs new valve gear on one side.

Check out these links:

http://daveangell.co.uk/index.php?pg=l&cat=85

http://triangtrains.co.uk/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29782

http://www.elaines-trains.co.uk/index.php?pg=l&cat=7572

• RMweb Premium

I think the 2 locos will work together, BUT I have to change the pickup connections. All my other locos go forward when the direction switch is set to forward, but the other B class goes in reverse!!! As for the steam loco, it is a French loco. It also needs new valve gear on one side.

Ah, so one of the B Class runs in reverse.

First thing you need to do is work out which one is  incorrect. The way to do that is to use a multimeter and set it to read volts. When you turn on the controller, the loco should go forwards, when the right hand rail is positive. If you don't have a multimeter, a 9 Volt battery can be used, all you really need is to check which way around it runs. ALL OO/HO locos should comply with this rule.

Now to reverse one loco, now you've figured out which is wrong. Two ways to do this,

1/ is to reverse the wiring - to be honest not sure whether this works on this model bogie (because chassis could be live to one side).

2/ is to reverse the magnet (180 degrees end for end). However you must use a keeper plate to continue the magnetic circuit, otherwise the magnet can loose its magnetic force. This will cause the loco to run slow, no power & run hot - no good at all.

Either way will fix it, someone probably previously took it apart & incorrectly re-assembled.

ps did you get the magazine I posted you?

Edit to add. 'Forwards is when a model driver is sitting 'in the cab'.

• 3 months later...

What about putting the body onto a more modern chassis? Athearn "Blue Box" 6-axle units would do nicely; they have low-profile (RP-25) wheels, dual flywheels, all-wheel drive and pick-up and will run forever. Plu you can probably pick them up cheaply.

Archived