As part of a larger project in 7mm I was looking for a NER signal box kit that would stand up to close scrutiny by being as true to prototype as possible. That's inside as well as out! After a thorough trawl through the market place and a not inconsiderate amount of deliberation and procrastination I've come to the conclusion there isn't anything out there and that I'm going to have to go it alone.

Now. I set to with plasticard and balsa and after various iterations quickly lost enthusiasm and sat on my hands for a while. Then, a few months back, the good lady (with a view to future shop opening) suggested designing a kit. We'd been praising the new Lego ranges' instruction booklet my 5 year old is steaming through; even through it's notionally aimed at 7 - 14 year olds and 'what ifs' started being bandied about.

So that's where it has all started. We've now decided to take a belt and braces approach to producing a kit of the highest order; a 26 lever NER box based on the Melton (East Yorkshire) prototype. Well I say based, it will be that box in 7mm with tolerance allowed for personal choice of cladding. 

Thanks to Mick Nicholson we have some actual measurements/ drawings and detail photos to work from. Block instruments next. I'll keep updating as things progress...

post-14090-0-65008000-1433324425_thumb.jpg

I shall follow this topic with great interest as at sometime in the future I will need to produce a 7mm Hull & Barnsley signal box for the Hull & Barnsley c.1908 themed layout that I'm in the process of building. It's good that you have Mick Nicholson as a source of information and inspiration.

Dave

'The game's afoot!'

After the sourcing of some fantastic internal box shots (ahem), I've commissioned a prototype development in 7 and 4 mm. I am currently working on how best to present the instructions; I'm wanting to go down the exploded diagram route rather than a purely descriptive narrative. 

The overall aim is to produce a top quality kit that will satisfy me as a modeller, cover the overall production costs and stop me wingeing there isn't a decent NER offering out there!! All being well I should have first draft in a couple of weeks.

post-14090-0-34697000-1433880485.jpg

Have you found any period photos of the rear wall yet showing the fireplace? This is a thread I will follow closely as I have a part built box but its never progressed through lack of infomation.

Here you are: this is Hessle Haven. I'm sure Mick Nicholson won't mind me posting this for your reference. The item at extreme right is a floor standing notice board with coat hook to the rear.

Copyright ownership is entirely his; look he even mopped the floor before taking the shot! Must have been expecting someone.

post-14090-0-34342200-1434276768_thumb.jpg

We had a first proof prototype/ pre-production meeting today. I'm really pleased with how this box is looking. 

A few tweaks and a slight amendment to guttering and drainpipe arrangement was needed for the roof to be removable. Otherwise it is as per the original; brick bonds, timber work, sizes are as per measurements taken by Mick. The interior roof beam detail, picture rails and even the locking bar access door are all there and crisply reproduced. We're etching some wooden veneer to allow a bespoke floor to be installed. The roof trusses will be removable to allow access to the interior.

Here are a couple of images of the 7mm first draft. 4mm should be up to this standard in a week's time.

post-14090-0-54655100-1434632855_thumb.jpgpost-14090-0-31946800-1434632874_thumb.jpg

I managed to extricate this pic of the interior before the camera battery gave up. Picture rail shelf, sliding windows and fireplace aperture showing.

We're working on amending the ridge tiles to be more like the 'lipped' variant as per the prototype photographs and improving the detail on the locking room door and locking bar access hatch.

post-14090-0-76831500-1434879594_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well since my last post things have been rather hectic. The 7mm kit has now been rescaled to 4mm and a mock up produced. Some tweaks to both kits have been made such as making the locking room windows symmetrical in arrangement to the running lines elevation and the ridge tiles lipped as per S4 box prototype. Again trying to adhere to the best detail ethos the 4mm box's features are as per its larger cousin, so positional sliding windows, removable roof, beamwork, picture/instrument rails, fireplace, opening doors at both floors, external and internal board detailing, guttering and downpipes etc.

I'm currently working up instructions and exploded diagrams so that they tally with the actual construction sequence to make the most highly detailed but most easily constructed model kit possible. Packaging decisions are also on the agenda.

It's interesting that even as you get to this stage you realise you've missed something rather obvious; finial option and walkway lifting board to be addressed for the eagle-eyed out there! Anyway here are some pics of the box so far in 4mm:

post-14090-0-51162700-1436606801.jpg

post-14090-0-26981800-1436606823.jpg

post-14090-0-33095500-1436606843.jpg

post-14090-0-88516900-1436606870.jpg

post-14090-0-83281000-1436606885.jpg

Guest G567281

Seriously nice there! I'm most impressed. I would certainly be interested when you get this to market!

Lovely work. A couple will be required here in Canada too. One in 7mm no one in 4mm.

Alan

Thanks for all the kind comments! Once everything is worked up fully I'm hoping to get the completed kits reviewed in some revered modelling publication all being well. As the final kits are reach me 'on the sprue' as it were I'll see if I can photo stage a construction of them thro' to painting and detailing if that's of interest.

Cheers all, Alex

• 2 weeks later...

It's all starting to come together; both a seven and four millimetre kit are with friends for proof building. Notes on the construction process are being made and the time spent on the actual build as well. I've a final handbook to write up and some coverwork to design for the packaging and then I should be somewhere near.

A couple of late additions to each scale kit have been added, the drop down board to the walkway from the top stairs landing is included replete with safety rail along the window and the MDF carcass has been slotted at two ends to allow the clad to be worked out by the modeller to run point rodding runs. I'll post pics of the amendments in the next day or so.

cheers all and thanks for all the support in this project, Alex

One comment and I am sure that Neil will agree with me.... make sure you accept overseas payments via paypal or what have you as some of us don't live in the UK! It is not that hard to post over seas it costs more and we (the o/s modellers) understand and accept we have to pay for the postage within reason.  :yes:

Well the final additions made: we've added the walkway crossing board, this can be in either up or down position. The window safety handrail is also fitted. The MDF locking room carcass is slotted for rodding, the kit builder will then just drill and cut out the slot/s to their requirements through the cladding.

A 4mm and a 7mm complete kit are now with fellow modellers to prove build. This process will inform and improve my instructions before final print, labelling and boxing of the kits! 

And just looking at this image I notice we need a door knob! Fiddlesticks!

Cheers Alex

post-14090-0-27347800-1437822226_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have intel that says the test pieces (one in each scale) are nearly complete thus proving the kits. There are a few minor assembly amendments to the instructions but that shouldn't be too onerous a task. Thanks to Rippers (4mm) and Tappa (7mm) for their assistance. 

Mick Nich has also kindly turned and fashioned scale prototype finials so I can resin cast some for the kits if required by the modeller.
It's coming together at last...

Guest G567281

yes I can see the need for at least one of these.  Looks like you will need to send more to Canada than you thought

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for keeping all of us informed. Much appreciated and looking forward to future postings. Exciting times.

Kindest regards,

Alan

• 3 months later...

Thanks to all for your support on this particular little project! 

Our first 4mm box kit has been test built, painted and weathered by one of my victims, Rippers, and many thanks to him. This will inform the instruction booklet build sequence as much as possible. The 7mm version's arrival is imminent.

Once I have my web-site live early in the new year these kits will be available to buy, price to be confirmed. 

post-14090-0-49647600-1450177927_thumb.jpg

post-14090-0-92678500-1450177940_thumb.jpg

post-14090-0-25127100-1450177959_thumb.jpg

post-14090-0-99204400-1450177977_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all for your support on this particular little project! 

Our first 4mm box kit has been test built, painted and weathered by one of my victims, Rippers, and many thanks to him. This will inform the instruction booklet build sequence as much as possible. The 7mm version's arrival is imminent.

Once I have my web-site live early in the new year these kits will be available to buy, price to be confirmed. 

Great news. Looking forward to ordering the 4mm version in the new year. .Will you be able to accept Pay Pal?

Archived