>>>

PMP

Does anyone know of a supplier/s of specific LMS/MR station components. The sort of things I'm looking for are seats, platform barrows and lighting and any other station items that could be found on a small BLT. The layout is set in Gloucestershire in the 50/60's and will have some LMS signage left over.

There was also a plastic kit of a small Midland style box, not the Airfix/Dapol or Ratio boxes, I'd be interested in finding an example though I can't recall who did/does it.

Ta in advance

Smiths do MR seats, and the signal box was by Digby Digby (I think). I should have a couple somewhere in my "to do" drawers, if you're interested. I seem to recall that it wasn't a particularly accurate model, although better than the two you've mentioned.

In plastic, Ratio also offer fencing (only for full-height platforms, though, not ramps) as do Slaters (who might also do ramp fences but definitely produce MR-style edging for platorm canopies too). Mike's Models do water crane, goods yard crane and buffer stop kits in white metal which are all MR-specific, whilst Smiths etched brass platform benches and a goods yard loading gauge can be had courtesy of Scale Link.

David

In plastic, Ratio also offer fencing (only for full-height platforms, though, not ramps) as do Slaters (who might also do ramp fences but definitely produce MR-style edging for platorm canopies too). Mike's Models do water crane, goods yard crane and buffer stop kits in white metal which are all MR-specific, whilst Smiths etched brass platform benches and a goods yard loading gauge can be had courtesy of Scale Link.

David

The Slaters stuff springs to mind, they used to do barrows and a dray and horse as well IIRC, but somebody used to do complete etched canopies, anyone remember who it was?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the help, the Mikes models range will be worth looking at as will the Slaters fencing in particular. The Ratio Midland box, whilst pretty accurate is too large for the project, and I'm not a big fan of the Modelex boxes with the cast resin bases like the LNWR version.

ta,

PMP

I think the Modelex MR box is all etched, Paul, I'll check tonight, because I'm building one soon for Callow Lane.

Is this a fictional model, or a model of an actual place, because I've got one or two photos of cute small MR boxes on file if that's of interest (but would mean a scratchbuild).

I think the Modelex MR box is all etched, Paul, I'll check tonight, because I'm building one soon for Callow Lane.

Is this a fictional model, or a model of an actual place, because I've got one or two photos of cute small MR boxes on file if that's of interest (but would mean a scratchbuild).

The Modelex 'box is definitely fully etched, we have one on South Junction (Yeovil MRG EM layout). MR 'boxes seem to have been modular and made up from standard panels. There seem to be many similarities among this lot, but severe kitbashing (for which plastic might be the better bet), is probably the way forward?

http://www.signalbox.org/gallery/mid.htm

Adam

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested in your comments re the Modelex one Tim, the layout is in embyronic stage,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/3433-pmps-blt-2010-layout/page__p__25143__fromsearch__1entry25143

The track plan is based around Dursley, as drawn by Barry Norman in his WSP book, the pic in the thread above just uses 'stock' buildings for an idea of spacings and positioning. I do have in stock a Modelex MacKenzie & Holland Type 3, which may use but I can't find references as to whether the Midland or LMS used them. The kit Andrew has mentioned I know is smaller than the Dapol/Ratio Midland boxes, being roughly half the size.

Paul, whilst I wouldn't rule out the idea of the MR using M&K boxes, virtually all photos I've seen of 'Midland boxes' show the company's 'house' style.

Mind you, the cute little box at Buckden My link is one of those I had in mind at one time for a scratchbuild for Callow Lane.

As regards the Modelex one, (thanks to Adam and others for confirming that it's all etched, by the way) I'd definitely recommend not using the etched slates provided. Having seen them on someone's completed box, I think that something from the Howard Scenics, Scalescenes or York Modelmakers range would be much better (and one of these is what I shall be using on mine).

Mind you, the cute little box at Buckden My link is one of those I had in mind at one time for a scratchbuild for Callow Lane.

I think there were similar boxes - effectively glorified ground frames in this instance - on the MR lines that served Gloucester Docks, and possibly also on the extensive brewery railway network around Burton town centre.

David

Archived