Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Norfolk & Western mid 50's HO scale

Steve

If you fancy scratch building a proper NW caboose O Scale magazine had a drawing and scratch build article in the June 2005 edition, The issues are available for free download at oscalemag.com and could you easily resize the drawing to ho. The late owner was a NW fan so there is also a fair bit of NW coverage.

Colin

I'm after a little information, Bachmann have this caboose coming out next year

attachicon.gifimage.png

And I'm wondering if by removing the burger emblem it's suitable for the 50's era?

I've been searching for Norfolk & Western cabooses and I've had no luck finding any

Thanks

According to the bible of N&W coal cars, the burger emblem dates from the 1963 livery changes.

Adrian

• Like 1

If these cabooses are from the nickel plate merger then they are still too late as I believe that merger was 1959. I'm very much in the mid 50's when steam still prevailed. My Y6b from Broadway is fully paid up I'm just waiting for Model Junction to get the stock in. I had two 85' Pullmans from Walthers arrive but they've been sent off to Santa!!

If the Y6b gets here in time that will go under the tree as my gift to my self!!

Edited by steve fay

• 2 weeks later...

From Derek Payne.

Hi Steve, I am new to this forum and had tried replying to oyu on N&W GP9's last week but must have done something wrong, so here goes again!

I have been a long time N&W fan but model in ground level 7 1/4" gauge not HO.

However, wislt living in the USA years ago I collected some N&W HO models/kits. All are still int the boxes and have never been made up or run.

1) An Athern BEV-BEL GP9 in N&W maroon, New in box Powered never run or assembled.

2) Three BEV-BEL N&W Heavyweight passenger cars in Maroon/Tuscan Red with six wheel trucks

3) two N&W Coal hoppers 1x 3 bay and 1x 5 bay.

Please let me know it any are of interest to you?

Best wishes

Derek Payne

Leased pennsy GP9's attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Athearn Genesis have these coming out in a few months time in the correct pennsy livery. Just a number change. I might go down this route instead of a respray, I can always add some N&W units at a later date.

Years ago, Athearn/ Bev-Bel did N&W GP-9s in the maroon paint scheme. They were the older, wider body design which you may find on EBay now and then....

TJM

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Derek

You did mention about some Caboose kits? I'd like to see some pictures if possible.

At the moment I'm sticking with Broadway limited for locomotives as I've invested in one of there new rolling thunder units that link up to there paragon 3 locomotives, I've been told on good authority that the A & J will get this upgrade some time next year.

Thanks again

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

Even though the thread title is Norfolk & Western I'm going to expand it a little. I've been watching lots of videos on YouTube & the N&W's western terminus at Cincinnati looks very interesting, now I'm not Modeling Union station but I like the diversity of the other Railroads that used it. The Pennsylvania, New York central, Southern, B&O & C&O.

If Broadway bring out the New York central Dreyfus Hudson & Pennsylvania T1 out in paragon 3 they would be hard to resist that and the myriad of liveries on the E &F units.post-5983-0-12212100-1450460291.jpeg

Even though the thread title is Norfolk & Western I'm going to expand it a little. I've been watching lots of videos on YouTube & the N&W's western terminus at Cincinnati looks very interesting, now I'm not Modeling Union station but I like the diversity of the other Railroads that used it. The Pennsylvania, New York central, Southern, B&O & C&O.

If Broadway bring out the New York central Dreyfus Hudson & Pennsylvania T1 out in paragon 3 they would be hard to resist that and the myriad of liveries on the E &F units.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Don't forget the L&N as well .....

It's one of the reasons for my Cincinnati Belt & Terminal, and is an area ripe for modelling. Based on the western end of the old N&W 'Peavine' line, with direct connections to the ex B&O and ex PRR and a short trip to the ex NYC (Big Four), ex C&O and ex L&N. Whats not to like. :locomotive:      

There are some very good resources online to whet your appetite http://www.jjakucyk.com/transit/index.html#railroads

While his map is a work of art http://www.jjakucyk.com/transit/map/index.html

Enjoy.

Mick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple of nice N&W box cars today as its my birthday, I'm waiting for my Rolling thunder unit to arrive, should be some time next month. I've seen the latest video on the Broadway limited web site & it looks very good.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, my O gauge projects are taking priority at the moment, I'm still waiting for my rolling thunder system to arrive as I missed out on the first batch due to my pre order being misplaced. Good news from Broadway limited the Norfolk & Western A is getting the paragon 3 upgrade. I've put my pre order in this morning expected delivery around October so I expect it will be here in time for Christmas.

I've been told by Broadway that the J will get the upgrade at some point. I hope their E & F units also get the upgrade in the future. I could do with some Southern units and some of the leased units that the N&W had.

• 3 months later...

post-5983-0-02837100-1464556928_thumb.jpeg

Not a great deal happening Im afraid still waiting patiently for the A. I did order a pair of auxiliary tenders and they along with the Rolling thunder system Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've pre ordered a Walther's Proto F7 in Southern for the Birmingham special today from Model junction and the Broadway limited A is now available in the U.S, should be available in the U.K by Christmas.

I'm hoping that Broadway will upgrade their E units with paragon 3 and do them again in Southern. At least I can consist them and have the extra bass from the Broadway unit!!

Also a little help if you could, Atlas have this caboose that they say is from the 1940's onwards. If I paint out the later burger logo would this be correct or is this one from an absorbed railroad?

post-5983-0-20903100-1472762440_thumb.jpeg

Edited by steve fay

I've pre ordered a Walther's Proto F7 in Southern for the Birmingham special today from Model junction and the Broadway limited A is now available in the U.S, should be available in the U.K by Christmas.

I'm hoping that Broadway will upgrade their E units with paragon 3 and do them again in Southern. At least I can consist them and have the extra bass from the Broadway unit!!

Also a little help if you could, Atlas have this caboose that they say is from the 1940's onwards. If I paint out the later burger logo would this be correct or is this one from an absorbed railroad?

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

looks pretty close to the prototype - this is 1 number up in the sequence

http://www.upcoaltrain.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3622806

cheers Paul

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I think you'll find it's from a mid 60's merger, there is no easy answer to that steam era N&W caboose :nono:     A link to the N&W Historical Society .....http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/selectdocs.php?index=rs&id=859

Mick.

Edited by mikjd