Nortonians scratchbuilt Halls, that`s two of.

Nortonian

Well the debate over blogs versus threads appears to rumble on, but I have to say I find this style of thread similar to the old site. It worked there so I guess it does here too. I`m comfy with it.smile.gif

I have a number of projects under development, but I want to get a few loose ends out of the way first, so first up are these two 7mm scratchbuilt GWR/BR Modified Halls. In fact just about all my builds will be scratchbuilt as I feel the most comfortable in building them. I like kits, but only in small doses.angry.gif

Anyway, first few photo`s will appear in the morning, then as the project progresses. Well, if anyone is interested that is !.unsure.gif

Kindest

Ian

Thankyou Gentlemen for your interest. Well it looks like the morning has turned into this afternoon, as usual.wink.gif

These two Modified Halls are to be 6998 Burton Agnes Hall, and 7907 Hart Hall. One with Collett and the other with Hawksworth tenders.

They are to be built by my usual method of nickel silver mostly and some brass as required. Slaters wheels and Ron Chaplin motor/gearboxes. Castings and Fittings to be used from various sources of 7mm traders. I am after a new lathe, so when that comes about, then a lot of fittings I will turn myself.

So first up, the frames are cut out of 28thou in four rectangular shapes close to the outline size required. Two are clearly and acurately marked out, married to the other pair and cut out as a pair using the piercing saw.

They are then filed to shape and holes drilled for various fittings as required. The first photograph below should make things clear, I hope. More to follow.

I should point out that this build will not be a rush job, but should move at a decent pace to keep you interested. I`ll try for a couple of updates per week.

post-7282-12566488315962_thumb.jpg

As the sign of the shop door says, `back soon`.icon_wave.gif

Ian

The outline of the frames is almost the same as that used in the 4mm scale Falcon Brass kit. Remarkable.

Hi Horsetan,

This is only the first stage, there is more to come this afternoon, so the outline shape will be different.

Regards

Ian

I have found my photos of 6989 which areas do you want first.

Let's have all of them biggrin.gif - particularly the front section of running plate in front of the smokebox, and broadsides showing the point at which the front frames slant down towards the running plate.

I have found my photos of 6989 which areas do you want first.

Ian G

Hello Ian,

I shall echo Horsetans request for photographs ahead of the smokebox, plus the bogie please. I have a number of views between the frames and runningplate areas, but the front end is lacking.

Thankyou.

Pink Mouse,

I have an LNER L1 & G5 to be added to the build list if that`s of any use ?.rolleyes.gif

Regards

Ian

Here we are back again.

In this next photograph, you can see that I have married the two sets of frames together ,to be able to cut out the front end area and drill the holes for the rear fixed axles. I have also pre-drilled a pilot hole for the brake pivots.

post-7282-12566695762176_thumb.jpg

In this next photograph, I have cut out the opening for the hornguides and drilled out other required holes. The frames have now been separated.

post-7282-12566696941643_thumb.jpg

Next , a start will be made on the frame stretchers.unsure.gif

Ian

Good Morning Gents.

I tried to put some pictures up here last night, but for some reason it would not display the images, so we`ll try again.

This next view shows the frame stretchers in their relevant positions, or near to. Also shown is the bogie pivot stretcher.

post-7282-12567222861176_thumb.jpg

It has taken quite a while to cut all these out for two loco`s, but my methods make it straight forward. I will go and bash some metal now ready for an update later.

Ianrolleyes.gif

Next bit,

After cleaning up the frames, I re-unite them into pairs to cut the slots in the tops of the frames for the runningplate support brackets.

post-7282-12567734220092_thumb.jpg

The next job is to lay the rivet template over the frame sides and drill halfway through the frame material to allow pressing of the frame rivets, remembering to drill left-hand and right-hand sides differently. Once part drilled, its then a case of pushing out all of the rivets, thus.wacko.gif

post-7282-12567736836623_thumb.jpg

Assembly of the frames is the next task. No slot and tabs, so its a case of precision soldering !

Let`s see what tomorrow brings eh ?.icon_yawn.gif

Well the elves have done their bit again.wink.gif

post-7282-12568251006589_thumb.jpg

One set of frames has now been assembled. All nice and square. It just leaves the major stretcher above the bogie area and smokebox saddle. That will be next along with the second set of frames.

Once all the stretchers are in place and I am happy with the overall setup, then the hornguides will be fitted after the Coupling Rods have been made. An enormous task in themselves.sad.gif

I should be back soon.

A few measurements, from one of Didcot's Halls:

- piston rod dia: 86mm

- slidebars: 5.5" x 2.5" (2.5" at thickest point)

- valverod: 1.75" dia

- connecting rod: 70mm wide, 5.75" thick at middle axle boss

- coupling rod: 39mm wide

Thankyou Miss,

It all helps to cobble these things together. We`ll get there eventually, won`t we ?.unsure.gif

Ian

Hi Ian,

Just trying to get my head around your riveting method, how do you know when to stop when you are drilling through the main frames when they are only 28 thou :icon_what: Or do you just get a feel on the depth after a time so to speak.

Regards, Martyn.

Archived