St Ann's Depot

grid56104

Following a request on my recent New Members Posting for more photographs of St Ann's Depot, I decided the best option would be to put the layout under the appropriate posting section.

St Ann's Depot is only 7 and a half feet by 2 feet (size was determined by space in our spare room/study) therefore it relies heavily on Y points - and is set in 1983 toward the end of the full Rail Blue livery and the start of the Large Logo livery. My love of class 20s and 56s have partly determined that while I live in Ayr in Scotland, the layout has been set in middle eastern England as the class 56s were not a regular feature in Scotland until around 1989/1990 when they operated Anglo-Scottish coal traffic. The shed is meant to be an old steam shed that is soon to be demolished as it has lost its roof and has numerous smashed windows. The old turntable pit has been filled in but the retaining wall that forms part of same can still be seen forming the outline of the circle. The start of the ramp to what would have been the old coaling stage can also be seen but that has gone and has been replaced by a modern diesel fuelling points.

I hope the attached give a flavour of the layout.

If of interest, the layout will be representing my railway club - Glasgow and West of Scotland MRC - at Model Rail Scotland 2011.

Max Fowler

post-9544-128016602685_thumb.jpg

post-9544-128016618045_thumb.jpg

post-9544-128016652055_thumb.jpg

post-9544-128016656071.jpg

post-9544-128016658216.jpg

post-9544-128016660268.jpg

post-9544-12801666211.jpg

post-9544-12801666846_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

first posting for some time but real work has been preventing me getting any modelling undertaken.

St Ann's Depot has been given a once over this weekend in preperation for going to Model Rail Scotland on Thursday. As it has been in storage for 6 months or so, the electrics have been checked (couple of loose wires showed up) and any minor damage to scenery etc made good. All standard Hornby or Bachmann couplers removed from locos and new 3 link couplers fitted to the Class 20s that run together in pairs and the 2 Class 08s that move the fuel tankers around.

if you are coming to the show please stop and say hello - stand 90.

Max Fowler

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Grid 56104

Followed a link to your layout from the thread about MPD's.

Completely agree with your view there that an MPD such as this is indeed a layout.

Have to also add that................. your "layout" was my favorite at Model Rail Scotland.

Thanks for bringing it along and thanks also for answering so many questions from me and my pal John. He wanted to know how long it was and if he could fit it under the window in his bedroom (which will be my job) as his hands are now quite twisted and sore. Didn't know you were on this here forum.

Your layout was exactly what people need to see - a compact, active scene full of realism and with great attention to detail and friendly operators....!

As I have said elsewhere - I think Model Rail Scotland 2011 was great - seams to me to have been just one main poster on the thread who started some mince about abusive stewards and price fixing - and it all went downhill from there.

Thanks again for exhibiting and for sharing..

Stuart - big fat bloke in a black shirt.

Stuart - many thanks for your comments particulary given the view the show was not great and TMD's are ten a penny nowadays. Always glad to speak to the public about the layout and also had some youngsters and other members of the public come behind the scenes to let them see what it was all about from our side. Our club members are always asked to be friendly and repsond to any questions in a pleasant manner.

Unfortunately no magazine editors took photos (the big layouts or better known layouts win on that front) and no calls from others to show it elsewhere so the layout is back in the 'real shed' in bubble wrap until the next outing - whenever that maybe.

Max

Max,

Thanks for the reply.

I was surprised you had not gone over to DCC.

An MPD is perfect for "playing with" sounds and lights and in my view brings a whole new dimension to the enjoyment - for you the operator. Not sure sounds work so well in a huge hall - very hard to hear - then again I am very deaf.

Seams a shame to have your layout bubble wrapped and away - is it not used at AYR MRC club rooms?

Ever thought of selling it.....?

Stuart

Stuart - even though I live in Ayr I am not a member of the Ayr Model Railway Club but I am secretary of the Glasgow & West of Scotland MRC based in Bearsden in Glasgow. This was the club I joined in my 20s then left when I was first married and rejoined around 7 years ago when a second marriage allowed me to re-start my interest in Model Railways.

I will probably not sell the layout as it is the first layout I have ever completed so there is a sentimental value to it. It is bubble wraped to protect it as I have now started on my next layout - the maxwell colliery loading point which has its own topic within RM Web. This new layout should be DCC which means I could look at converting St Ann's Depot as money and time permits.

Max

Your layout was exactly what people need to see - a compact, active scene full of realism and with great attention to detail and friendly operators....!

I couldn't agree more. What a very well presented layout, loved it.

Best regards,

Mark

• 2 years later...

Given the work i need to do on The Maxwell Colliery Loading Point, St Ann's Depot is now up for sale and will be exhibited at the Cathcart Model Railway Show (in Pollockshaws Burgh Hall, Glasgow) at the end of the month. If anyone is interested in purchasing same please send PM or come along and see the layout flesh. The sale consists of the 2 boards, the little feeder track board at the rear, the legs and the control panel. The controllers and stock are not included. Max

• 4 years later...

Been quite a while since anything was posted (October 2013) re this layout but it is in the February 2018 edition of Hornby Magazine (which is probably due to be replaced by the March edition!!). The layout was bought by my railway club but unfortunately was written off when a serious fire in the flooring warehouse next to our club rooms meant the layout and 2 others were destroyed by the smoke, soot and water created by and used to control the fire. We are grateful however that we had the layout photographed with my rail blue stock a few months before it was lost for good. I will post some of Nigel Burkins pictures of the layout in due course. RIP St Ann's Depot. Max

Archived