RMweb

Bachmann 00 gauge 03 is out

To add to other comments about radiator blinds, a lot of old photos of lorries show these devices. Usually they were a sheet of canvas that could be tied up out of the way when not in use. Somewhere I have a photograph of some of my Grandfather's old fleet of Leyland wagons with just such a device.

• RMweb Gold

High Level chassis kits notwithstanding, I wonder if anyone will produce some 'drop-in' wheelsets to convert these to EM or P4? If it's such a beautifully running chassis, it would be a shame to waste it.... ;) (no evidence of anything on the Ultrascale website so far, although in fairness, it is probably a bit early yet...)

Hope this isn't a silly question but the 2010 Bachmann catalogue describes 03066 in BR blue as a 'preserved' example. What is it about this model or its livery that makes it a preserved version?

Thanks.

03066 is described as 'preserved' simply because happens to be a preserved loco.

http://www.preservedshunters.co.uk/psh_shunter.php?class=3&loco=03066

03066 is described as 'preserved' simply because happens to be a preserved loco.

I thought there would be more to it than that as one of Rail Express's selling points for their ltd ed blue 03s was it was meeting a need due to the catalogue model being a preserved version?? Isn't 03371 a preserved loco?

I thought there would be more to it than that as one of Rail Express's selling points for their ltd ed blue 03s was it was meeting a need due to the catalogue model being a preserved version?? Isn't 03371 a preserved loco?

Correct, 03371 is also preserved. http://www.preservedshunters.co.uk/psh_shunter.php?class=3&loco=03371

I understood the purpose of the Rail Express versions was to offer models with detail variations not offered by Bachmann in their standard releases. I think the fact that 03371 is preserved is a coincidence considering the number of preserved 03's. Bachmann usually seem to offer a model of a preserved example of each class of loco they produce.

I thought there would be more to it than that as one of Rail Express's selling points for their ltd ed blue 03s was it was meeting a need due to the catalogue model being a preserved version??

I've managed to dig out the original Rail Express advert for their blue 03s. It says "Bachmann's only catalogue item listed in BR blue livery is based on a contemporary preserved example so we are delighted to be able to satisfy demand for 'blue era' locos with the provision of two additional models..."

So I guess my original question should have been - what does "contemporary preserved example" mean regarding the detail on 03066?

I've managed to dig out the original Rail Express advert for their blue 03s. It says "Bachmann's only catalogue item listed in BR blue livery is based on a contemporary preserved example so we are delighted to be able to satisfy demand for 'blue era' locos with the provision of two additional models..."

So I guess my original question should have been - what does "contemporary preserved example" mean regarding the detail on 03066?

I think the driver figure is modelled wearing a reproduction vintage boiler suit! biggrin.gif

I would imagine that Bachmann have modelled the livery on the loco as preserved, although from most of the images I have seen this appears to be largely indistinguishable from when it ran for BR. (save the yellow buffer beam it carried for some of it's life).

I think ReX have been a little cunning in their sales patter!

N

I'm struggling (well not too hard, it is only earlywink.gif) to think what significant difference there could be and TBH the REx schpiel sounds like a bit of spin. I think the operative phrase is that I've put in bold, and that it simply means the three models will between them cover more bases - the Bachmann release is a dual braked one whereas REx LEs represent a VB-only machine and one with a conical exhaust

Hi,

the two Rail Express 03s are now being delivered. Mine came this morning. Part numbers: 31-360Y (03160, Vacuum Braked type) and 31-360X (03371, Dual Braked type).

On first opening the package, you find the receipts and adverts for the future 57604 model. The 03s are packaged in a dark blue box (like a small shoe box), with silver embossed 'RAIL EXCLUSIVE' and 'Special Edition Model Collection' on the lid.

Open that box and you then find a nicely printed detail sheet, about the loco. The loco is in the usual Bachmann packaging but, with 'RAIL EXCLUSIVE', 'SPECIAL EDITION' and some other wording, embossed on a silver crest - much like the Dapol Platinum branding crest, only bigger :rolleyes: I have to admit, the packaging alone makes the models feel special.

There is no mention of a 'Certificate Number' but the printed sheet does state it to be a Production Quantity of 500 pieces.

I cannot yet comment on the models themselves other than, sure enough, one has a conical chimney (Dual Braked type, with cylinder on the side); the other a funnel-like chimney (Vacuum Braked type).

It appears that Rail Exclusives/Bachmann have gone some way to make this model truly presentable and, being the first since their diversion from Rail Express magazine, is worthy of credit to Philip and Jamie and the team of Rail Exclusives - well done!

I guess this means the IOW NSE version may be out soon, along with the BCC model too.

I may try to get photos but I am sure someone will beat me to it!!

Cheers,

Ixion.

I think it was discussed in the REX review but in essence although 03066 is preserved, it is restored in its post 1980 guise with black bufferbeams and 2 marker lights at each end. This means for pre 1980 Modellers you need to repaint the bufferbeams yellow and add 2 extra lights, which is a problem as a 1977 modeller (with a model of 03066 sat in front of me) I may need to address.

I'm waiting on the Modelzone 03179. 03066 has, however, taken my fancy given how cheap some shops are selling it at. I may find myself unable to resist if a trader has it at a comparable price at the LYDCC show next weekend.

In the meantime the imminent release has focused me to finally dismantle and overhaul my old Mainline/Bachmann 03s. I made two chassis work reasonably well from three poor performers; D2179 may therefore appear on 'Grove Street' trying to justify its continued existence next weekend. I'm interested to see it adjacent to the new Bachmann offering to gauge just how much of a differene there is. A part of me may decide to be on the lookout for replacement chassis for the Mainline models rather than scrap them altogether if the difference can be lived with.

Hi,

firstly, apologies if this does not work - it's my first picture upload!

The first is the REx 03 Presentation Set and the second, a photo of both 03s from REx.

Rail Exclusives Presentation Box Set

post-6532-092949600 1287863945_thumb.jpg

Rail Exclusives 03160 and 03371 Face to Face

post-6532-010884100 1287863963_thumb.jpg

Hope you like them :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Ixion.

• RMweb Premium

I think the main "difference" offered by RailExclusive compared to the Bachmann standard BR Blue release is that 03160 is vacuum only and therefore does not have the air tanks next to the cab, which was, IIRC, more common than the air braked versions.

HI

Saw the green 03 on sale at Taunton show today ,boy look very nice indeed......off to my local shop later this week to get one , me thinks.:D

Well I'm turning a shade of (plain) green, as what I really want is the early conical version (rather than the "chimney" variety) but with wasp stripes - suitable for the Cambridge allocation in the early 'sixties. I'm sure Bachmann will produce a version at some point (D2018, if you're listening, please!) but long after all the pre-order special offers have run out.

Sorry to throw a negative in here.

I was forced to take mine back to the shop from which it was purchased. At very slow speeds there was an issue in performance. I was told that whilst Bachman won't admit publicly there is a problem, privately they have acknowledged there is. I got my money back without an argument.

Suggest folk leave it a month of two before buying this loco to allow Bachman to sort out this outsanding matter.

Guest Max Stafford

And where did your info come from? Mine's going like a sewing machine. I suspect we would have heard more of problems before now.

Dave.

Archived