A better class 52 western?

Hi

Probably as many of you know, Heljan have re-released there western's still with the same errors and are selling for almost £80

For me, that is quite a bit of money to pay for a model with the inacuracies that it has and i am intersted as to what the alternatives could be

I am unaware of any kits for this loco in 4mm scale so i am intersted in hearing the alternatives and this would probably be to kit-bash the lima or Hornby western

Although these are not exactley the most accurate models, i would be intersted to hear peoples opinions on if these could be made into respectable models. The lima one i know has the windows to far back from the ledge of the cab, however if someone could advise me as to what other problems these models have that would be great. I also came across the 'brassmasters' etchings for these locomotives and wanted to know if it would improve these models to a decent level of accuracy.

Any comment's welcome

Thanks

Class_47

Don't discard the possibility of starting from the best model available. As always it depends on your priorities for a model what route you take. If you want a major DIY project then improving an older model may be best. But if you enjoy the operating quality delivered by a centre motor with shaft drive to both bogies chassis, then the only RTR choice for this class in OO is Heljan. I rate the operating quality aspect so highly that the chassis outweighs other considerations, it's worth the £80 alone, and the body can be adjusted to taste.

That's what I have done with Hornby's class 30: worth having for the mech alone, slap an older more accurate £5 bodyshell on and Bingo!, great performance, and looks right. One of these days I will work out a way to correct the cab side windows on the Hornby to my satisfaction, but that's a low priority for when time is less pressing.

Probably as many of you know, Heljan have re-released there western's still with the same errors and are selling for almost £80

For me, that is quite a bit of money to pay for a model with the inacuracies that it has and i am intersted as to what the alternatives could be

Any posts in this topic going over old ground on errors in RTR models and why people should or shouldn't buy them will be removed. You have been warned.

There were articles in the press on how to improve the Heljan Western when it was first released, but it was a long time ago. Let's keep to constructive advice on improvements please.

• RMweb Gold

Go into production yourself, do it better and cheaper and I'm sure we will all buy it (as it's obviously very easy to get it right) ;)

• RMweb Gold

I can't think of any model where the accuracy is a deciding factor in the price - surely the main issues are assembly cost and what is perceived to be the appropriate level of demand?

This is the Lima model after fitting some of the Brassmasters parts - it's a long-term project and I still have to do the bogies and attend to some other matters. I think the front end does look better (not that it ever didn't look like a Western, to my eyes) but it is quite a lot of work for the return. Speaking for myself I find the Heljan model eminently tolerable and there is a well-documented fix for the cab roof profile.

post-6720-078419400 1288096421_thumb.jpg

There is a kit on the cards from Mark Humphries which has looked very, very promising from the photos shown on the older versions of the forum. From what Mark said and showed he's going for a really high level product, akin to Finney and Mitchell sort of standard. I've got a feeling that the price when it's available will make £80 look quite insignificant but I think we'll get what we pay for.

Update - Did some digging: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2338.

Pix

• RMweb Gold

There is a kit on the cards from Mark Humphries which has looked very, very promising from the photos shown on the older versions of the forum. From what Mark said and showed he's going for a really high level product, akin to Finney and Mitchell sort of standard. I've got a feeling that the price when it's available will make £80 look quite insignificant but I think we'll get what we pay for.

Update - Did some digging: http://www.rmweb.co.....php?f=8&t=2338.

Pix

Been three and a half years since any update around these parts, though, which does make one wonder if it's really ever going to happen...

Personally, given the significantly altered RTR landscape of the last few years, I'd be a lot less surprised about a new version of a Western being

announced - from someone other than the Danes - than I would have been at the time of the original Heljan release.

Any posts in this topic going over old ground on errors in RTR models and why people should or shouldn't buy them will be removed. You have been warned.

This warning won't be repeated again - two posts (by the same member) have just been removed and any posters ignoring it will be barred from the topic, at the very least. Constructive comment only please, no provocation into endless and pointless gainsaying.

I cobbled together a Hornby/Lima hybrid a few years back using the Lima chassis and Hornby body. Windows and battery boxes from the Lima. and a Craftsman detailing kit. The result was much better than the parts it was made from. However, after buying a Heljan one, I soon offloaded it via ebay to finance another and since bought a third. One day I might get around to the cab roof fix, but I for one am happy with them.

Archived