Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sandites at Aylesbury

The yellow one is a 122. The green 3-car was a 117 but has engines on what was a trailer car. The maroon one was 55024. The NSE one and the two-tone brown one are also Class 121s. The NSE one has lost its engines. The Chiltern blue and grey one is covered in the other topic.

CHRIS LEIGH

post-1062-003311700 1288356300_thumb.jpg

post-1062-014219400 1288356322_thumb.jpg

post-1062-010428800 1288356355_thumb.jpg

post-1062-047331700 1288356374_thumb.jpg

post-1062-011216700 1288356403_thumb.jpg

post-1062-021824900 1288356430_thumb.jpg

post-1062-090497700 1288356466_thumb.jpg

post-1062-023310100 1288356510_thumb.jpg

post-1062-062851400 1288356535_thumb.jpg

post-1062-039542000 1288356564_thumb.jpg

post-1062-076523700 1288356600_thumb.jpg

post-1062-014749200 1288356626_thumb.jpg

post-1062-038539300 1288356658_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

They have now been withdrawn because of lack of spares. The NSE liveried example had probably 'donated' its engines to keep the others running. The green 117 is being retained in case of failure of the replacement train. >> http://districtdave....ad=14359&page=1

The replacement train can't be all that reliable then as the 3 car set was running about when I was over at Aylesbury earlier this month.

• RMweb Premium

The replacement train can't be all that reliable then as the 3 car set was running about when I was over at Aylesbury earlier this month.

It is being used for driver training as well. There is a problem with the replacement train being too powerful and damaging lineside equipment, its operating pressure is no less than three times that of the old units.

Why a whole 117 though?

I get the "if one engine goes then there's a spare to get you home," but why the whole adding an engine to a trailer car as well?

Surely just semi-perma-coupling two bubbles or ditching the trailer car from the 117 set would be cheaper/easier?

• RMweb Premium

Why a whole 117 though?

I get the "if one engine goes then there's a spare to get you home," but why the whole adding an engine to a trailer car as well?

Surely just semi-perma-coupling two bubbles or ditching the trailer car from the 117 set would be cheaper/easier?

The 'trailer' car is in fact a driving car with the cab (and controls) removed. This also explains the presence of the former guards compartment. If you want to convert the Lima model it would be advisable to swap the cab from one of the driving units to the centre car and rearrange the vehicles, IIRC Lima also used the same chassis with the engine detail for the centre trailer.

P.S. The former cab was at the near end in photo #4.

I bet that Railcar shift fairly, being a power triple. We had a power twin in the last days of 101's at Cambridge, and its acceleration would almost match a class 317 emu.

I live about 100 metres from the Cambridge - Kings Lynn line, (which I also drive over) and DRS have the water jetting contact on EA Zone. Nothing better than being woken up at 1.30 in the morning by top and tail 37's being given serious thrash!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Nope, 'tis different. I have one sitting on the shelf about to get a bit of tlc.

Its a moot point anyway as Chiltern used a converted DMBS for the centre car, if you want to model it it would be easier to do the same.

Thanks for the info PhilLJW - I'm puzzled that 977992 is said to be a DMBS? Assuming the left hand end in my pics was the 'cab' end (the patch of shiny roof suggests that its the cab end with the roof dome replaced with plain panels)that can't have been a guard's van where the big new door is because the van wasn't next to the cab. The other end of the vehicle can't be the cab end because the door/window layout is wrong. Surely this vehicle must have been a DMS? Interesting stuff - can anyone provide the original numbers of all three cars?

Thanks, mods, for moving this to the right place. It takes all my concentration to upload pictures - trying to get a topic in the right place would blow a fuse!

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info PhilLJW - I'm puzzled that 977992 is said to be a DMBS? Assuming the left hand end in my pics was the 'cab' end (the patch of shiny roof suggests that its the cab end with the roof dome replaced with plain panels)that can't have been a guard's van where the big new door is because the van wasn't next to the cab. The other end of the vehicle can't be the cab end because the door/window layout is wrong. Surely this vehicle must have been a DMS? Interesting stuff - can anyone provide the original numbers of all three cars?

Thanks, mods, for moving this to the right place. It takes all my concentration to upload pictures - trying to get a topic in the right place would blow a fuse!

CHRIS LEIGH

Having taken another good hard look at the photographs the one furthest away is a DMBS identified by the cutaway beneath the inward opening guards door. As neither of the other two have any evidence of such a door it is probable that they are both DMS.

The maroon 'bubble car' appears to be one of those converted for route training with additional windows and seats in the guards compartment.

• RMweb Premium

can anyone provide the original numbers of all three cars?

CHRIS LEIGH

http://www.thejuncti...depart_dmu.html

suggests the unit is ex unit 117 308Class 960 Water Cannon Unit

- converted from class 117 - 117308

960301 GG CH AL -- 977987 977992 977988

http://www.railcar.co.uk/numbering/surivors.htm

977992 ex 51375 MS

• RMweb Premium

CHRIS LEIGH

Here are pictures of the centre car before and after conversion. http://www.railcar.c...9/117/51375.htm This shows before and after pics showing the rebuilt end just after conversion. I think they are mistaken in describing it as a DMBS as it appears to be a DMS.

More information here >>

http://www.railcar.c...119/117pres.htm

http://www.railcar.c...-119/117non.htm

Why a whole 117 though?

Because its a Water jetter unit, and the only way to carry enough water to complete the diagram was to use 3 cars. In order to kep time all needed to be powered. Hence the converted DMS. Using bubbles was out as there were not enough of them around available, and you couldn't run the pipes through and walk through cabbed vehicles.

Archived