Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Vision Aids for Modelling

I couldn't work without it (being as blind as a bat) I only rarely use the x5 extra loupe that swivels down as I find I need to get so close to the work to get it to focus that there is no room left between the work and the visor to get a soldering iron in :D

Mostly used are the x2 and x3 which is sprung in the visor.

I replaced an old "cheap" unit earlier this year after the headband broke, the new one was from Eileens Emporium and feels a bit more solid. But it gets daily use so I guess they all have a finite lifetime.

You might also consider one of those angle-poise dentist lamps. they have a good x3 magnification surrounded by a circular light.

i have one of those too. It is very good for those big flat items and I have been known to use both together and my champagne bottle base spectacles.

Thanks, K.

I've already got one of those Anglepoise things that I bought about ten years ago (I tie Flies too) but the thing never keeps in one place for too long! They don't make them like they used too, of course.

Best, Pete.

Thanks, K.

I've already got one of those Anglepoise things that I bought about ten years ago (I tie Flies too) but the thing never keeps in one place for too long! They don't make them like they used too, of course.

Best, Pete.

I bought one from Maplins last Christmas, and mine doesn't didn't stay in one place either. So I threaded some cable ties through part of the spring to increase the tension - the photo shows.

Would this work for you?

post-5402-015156000 1290348614_thumb.jpg

So I threaded some cable ties through part of the spring to increase the tension - the photo shows.

I thought that was what the knob on the corner was for ?

Do Maplins do spare fluorescent tubes for it? I think I'm down to my last spare after ordering some direct from a local "old-fashioned" lighting shop that has since gone out of business.

Btw what is the tie on the anglepoise looped through? I can't make it out.......

Cheers, Pete.

Thread the cable tie down the barrel of the spring then out through the side***, then make the join - what you're doing is increasing the tension by effectively shortening the sprung length of the spring - when the cable tie tightens you effectively get a solid tube and a more tensioned bit of spring.

*** Having tried it again I threaded the pointed end of the tie into the spring and up to the end through the core, then secured - and you have to remove the spring from the lamp first.

I thought that was what the knob on the corner was for ?

Do Maplins do spare fluorescent tubes for it? I think I'm down to my last spare after ordering some direct from a local "old-fashioned" lighting shop that has since gone out of business.

They did last year http://www.maplin.co...CFVBO4QodhWq8Yg and then spares at the box bottom-ish righ.

If the knob in the corner worked I wouldn't have had to fiddle like wot I did. :(

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't work without it (being as blind as a bat) I only rarely use the x5 extra loupe that swivels down as I find I need to get so close to the work to get it to focus that there is no room left between the work and the visor to get a soldering iron in :D

Mostly used are the x2 and x3 which is sprung in the visor.

I replaced an old "cheap" unit earlier this year after the headband broke, the new one was from Eileens Emporium and feels a bit more solid. But it gets daily use so I guess they all have a finite lifetime.

You might also consider one of those angle-poise dentist lamps. they have a good x3 magnification surrounded by a circular light.

i have one of those too. It is very good for those big flat items and I have been known to use both together and my champagne bottle base spectacles.

Hi

I'm with you, I use various combinations of all three dependant on the magnitude of the job. Also I believe that Squires do the circular flurry tubes for the anglepoise dentist style magnifiers.

HTH

S.S.

Previous thread, with 37 useful and humorous replieswink.gif FWIW (and as I say in there), I wouldnt automatically go down the Optivisor road, there are other options including an additional pair of specs

Well trawled there !

That seems to cover plenty more lighting options.

The issue with additional spectacles and as I said there, I have a pair at great additional expense, is that if you already have quite poor eyesight then the size and weight of the additional magnification (and in my case correction) makes them virtually unusable. I hardly ever use mine. The Optivisor allows me to use my normal spectacles and simply surrounds them. The fact it can be raised to peer at the kit instructions, PC screen or reference material without having to change spectacles is a bonus.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a bit of information about the Maplin "anglepoise" lamp/magnifier. I had the same problem with it having a mind of its own, but simply tightening up the nuts on the joints means it now stays where it's put.

Dave

I would not be without my 2 Optivisors, one is fitted with the 2.5x, the other the 5x plates and both have OptiLoupe which significantly reduces focal distance but makes the world of difference on mega-fiddly jobs. My eyesight has become much poorer over the last 4-5 years and I now rely on some form of magnification for all close up work and reading.

A lot of my work can be done under my lab bench magnifier that has a circular daylight balanced tube such as soldering, figure & model painting or detailing

I am reasonably sure that Santa has a Quasar LED plate to fit my Optivisor in his sack for Christmas & will post a review when it gets delivered.

hi i tried different types the best i found is a pair 3x reading glasses which a bought from a £ shop kenbury

I have a box full of the various strength Poundland reading glasses, usually the slim line ones are chosen to be able to look up and over the glasses for the TV etc!!! They range from +1/2 to +4 dioptre strength. Most are slim enough to use behind industrial eye protector glasses for lathe and grinding work..

Optivisors are good for users with prescription spectacles, and lit versions very good for detail work like figure panting.

The small 12 volt Halogen lamp desk lights are good for detail painting, cheap and light quality reasonable.

Stephen.

I normally wear reading glasses, fairly weak, but I keep some stronger ones for modelling. I find these are just as effective as the visor type magnifiers I have tried.

Given this thread was started exactly a month ago, I'm not sure its worth adding my twopennyworth. However, I will do, just in case anyone is still interested.

I've worn prescription glasses for about 47 years but found I was having difficulties seeing properly when modelling about 10-15 years ago, so bought an optivisor. It solved the problem but wasn't particularly comfortable and the headband tended to get sweaty. A simpler solution was to purchase a pair of straightforward magnifying glasses which I placed over my prescription glasses - worked just as well, less clumsy than an optivisor and a lot cheaper, too - and a lot less sweaty!

David C

Archived