Commercial brakes

Pennine MC

Overshadowed ATM (unsurprisingly) by the lovely Presflos, the latest batch of bauxite BR brakevans are now hitting the shops. Get 'em while they're hot, cos they're cheap for what they are but can command silly prices when they're out of production.

From a quick shufty, they seem to include minor differences from previous bauxite batches - the inner verandah screen is now (correctly) plywood sheet rather than planked, and the chassis bears a vac cylinder and associated V-hangers (which can soon be removed if wished - not many of these vans were actually fully fitted). It's nicely done though, so one of mine might keep it if I can track down a plausible number :)

• Like 1

I'll keep an eye out for these (there's no sign of them in Ian Allan or Antics in Cardif ATM) - you can never have enough brake vans!

Out of interest, what style of lettering have they got? Some post-64 box style would be a nice variation.

Pix

Out of interest, what style of lettering have they got? Some post-64 box style would be a nice variation.

It's B953810 IIRC Pix, not in the usual Gill Sans but in that rounded, vaguely LMS-pattern stylee. I think the ones in Jamie's blog are based on it, if you can find 'em

• RMweb Gold

Possibly. The supply position with Bachy wagons seems patchy ATM, maybe because there are so many recent releases

I'm not sure if it's even that Ian.

Months back I ordered a dozen or so upcoming Bachmann wagons from our local model shop - it isn't particularly heavy on model railways and he works at full RRP but he's had a bad year with flooding from a flat above and his wife's illness so he deserves a bit of customer support.

The day I ordered the stuff the Bachmann rep was in the shop and I saw the order go into his hands so I have no doubt at all that the order was placed. But all I have had of it so far are a couple of cattle wagons, the rest has not arrived with the retailer let alone me.

Now I know full well that some of what I ordered has been unloaded from the slow boat from China because I have seen it advertised by others or on their shelves. A pal who has shop (which does major on railway modelling) has the view that very often product goes to the big box shifters at the expense of the smaller retailers. The guy in my local shop has voiced the opinion that Bachmann delay dispatch of orders to smaller retailers until they've got a sufficiently large amount on hand to make it worthwhile to fill the order - I'm not so sure about that as he has had another delivery from Bachmann recently.

But there does seem to be something not quite right somewhere in Bachmann's supply chain and I get the impression - perhaps wrongly - that some retailers are being favoured over others or that small orders sit at the back of the queue and aren't filled if the big boys have taken it all.

• Like 1

I was on the phone yesterday to one of the major box shifters and I can assure you that they are in the same situation as regards supplies from Bachmann. I got the impression that I was not the only person who was asking when they would get their orders despatched. Strange indeed when some of the items are advertised as being in stock by other dealers.

Bernard

The day I ordered the stuff the Bachmann rep was in the shop and I saw the order go into his hands so I have no doubt at all that the order was placed. ? But all I have had of it so far are a couple of cattle wagons, the rest has not arrived with the retailer let alone me.

Now I know full well that some of what I ordered has been unloaded from the slow boat from China because I have seen it advertised by others or on their shelves.? ? A pal who has shop (which does major on railway modelling) has the view that very often product goes to the big box shifters at the expense of the smaller retailers.? ? The guy in my local shop has voiced the opinion that Bachmann delay dispatch of orders to smaller retailers until they've got a sufficiently large amount on hand to make it worthwhile to fill the order - I'm not so sure about that as he has had another delivery from Bachmann recently.

But there does seem to be something not quite right somewhere in Bachmann's supply chain and I get the impression - perhaps wrongly - that some retailers are being favoured over others or that small orders sit at the back of the queue and aren't filled if the big boys have taken it all.

It's a fairly complex situation Mike with several factors which include carriage paid despatch values. Even if a retailer placed an order for say ??100 worth of stock today it may not be despatched (carriage free) until other subsequent orders take the value over the carriage paid threshold (and I know it's a very modest threshold at a much lower level than I was used to in retail many years ago) at a point in the future. The retailer could ask for the short order to be despatched immediately but may have to pay for the carriage (which could then make the order uneconomical). Dependent on individual circumstances it could be that despatch takes place when a traders account balance is in a position to debit orders against, another variable none of us would be party to.

With orders being taken from a number of sources, representatives, directly with the manufacturer, at trade shows or other events it is possible that there may not be sufficient stock available or forthcoming to satisfy all orders. Sometimes those orders may go in to the manufacturer too late to get a share of the stock that lands in the country. Conversely there may be other times when there's more stock than orders and if sizeable enough may lead to 'clearance' offers which often centre around Bachmann's trade open days in July.

Maybe it's just a case of the bigger retailers placing bigger orders in plenty of time to ensure they get supplies through the door. I know that may appear unfair on a smaller retailer who orders stock ad-hoc but it's probably always been that way but becomes more apparent through our voracious appetite for a wider variety of stock lines than have been available in years before and a faster moving retail and manufacturer supply chain.

• RMweb Gold

It's a fairly complex situation Mike with several factors which include carriage paid despatch values. Even if a retailer placed an order for say ??100 worth of stock today it may not be despatched (carriage free) until other subsequent orders take the value over the carriage paid threshold (and I know it's a very modest threshold at a much lower level than I was used to in retail many years ago) at a point in the future. The retailer could ask for the short order to be despatched immediately but may have to pay for the carriage (which could then make the order uneconomical). Dependent on individual circumstances it could be that despatch takes place when a traders account balance is in a position to debit orders against, another variable none of us would be party to.

With orders being taken from a number of sources, representatives, directly with the manufacturer, at trade shows or other events it is possible that there may not be sufficient stock available or forthcoming to satisfy all orders. Sometimes those orders may go in to the manufacturer too late to get a share of the stock that lands in the country. Conversely there may be other times when there's more stock than orders and if sizeable enough may lead to 'clearance' offers which often centre around Bachmann's trade open days in July.

Maybe it's just a case of the bigger retailers placing bigger orders in plenty of time to ensure they get supplies through the door. I know that may appear unfair on a smaller retailer who orders stock ad-hoc but it's probably always been that way but becomes more apparent through our voracious appetite for a wider variety of stock lines than have been available in years before and a faster moving retail and manufacturer supply chain.

I quite agree with much of what you say Andy and it's no skin off my nose as I can readily buy elsewhere (and at a lower price - although it costs me fuel etc to get there of course). But it does seem a little odd - since I placed the order this guy has had at least two deliveries from Bachmann (I bought a newly arrived Mogo and a Vanfit from him this week, plus the aforementioned cattle wagons within a couple of weeks of their arrival in the country) so he is has received some deliveries.

I think you're probably right about the 'bigger retailers' although interestingly my friend in the trade (who retails quite big volumes) still harbours suspicions about the way things sometimes work - and he shifts substantial quantities of r-t-r.

That'd be these then:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=13051

If so, been in Glasgow for a while - I bought these in December.

Yeah, the bog standard brakes were listed on Hatton's website in the December time frame. Seems like they were only there for a few days...

Does anyone know how to get the body off one of these - there are clips underneith, but they don't seem very flexible. Plus various handrails linking body and chassis.

I've got a van (few years old) with one of the lookouts fitted at a slight angle (too far in on one edge).

Or are they 'sealed for life' in the factory?

Does anyone know how to get the body off one of these - there are clips underneith, but they don't seem very flexible. Plus various handrails linking body and chassis.

I've got a van (few years old) with one of the lookouts fitted at a slight angle (too far in on one edge).

Or are they 'sealed for life' in the factory?

They definitely come apart as I sold the chassis off mine when I wanted the bodies.

The handrails need pushing out of the chassis then I think a little glue held the body down; there is a separate floor inside it which is glued down quite firmly. The end concrete platforms are separate.

The duckets are a push fit as one of mine is currently out so I can imagine why yours is at an angle.

They definitely come apart as I sold the chassis off mine when I wanted the bodies.

The handrails need pushing out of the chassis then I think a little glue held the body down;

And unless you're careful or lucky, at least one of the handrails will be glued in so firmly it'll break ;)

And unless you're careful or lucky, at least one of the handrails will be glued in so firmly it'll break ;)

Actually all of mine survived on both vans (although one of the horizontal looked like a banana) before I stripped them off anyway!

Its best just to slice them off where they attach to the chassis with a sharp Swann Morton really than try to actually get the pips out.

To add to the mystery - I bought a 37-537A on the 9th July from Hattons - so they have been around for quite some time, long before the December time frame. I do wish they were back again maybe as 37-537B then there would be a new number.

To add to the mystery - I bought a 37-537A on the 9th July from Hattons - so they have been around for quite some time, long before the December time frame.

Quite possibly Bill - I first recall mention of the release in Hornby mag's little side review panels, and it was well before December, but the ones I bought were the first I'd actually seen

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just topping an old one here - looks like the grey versions have landed in the last few days and should be widely available now

I picked up a new grey one today, running number is B951504, which I trust is correct...

A little bit of work on the handrails, perhaps, and a conversion to P4 using Masokits sprung whatsits to fit inside the frames, and the job's a good 'un, I reckon! ;)