Weathering services

GKPC

ADMIN - this topic split from http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/7192-weathering/page__st__25__gopid__71906entry71906

Its interesting reading others views, clearly we are all different in our perceptions of what is "right". I am a modellor who lacks the skills to produce realistic weathering so I have been paying to have it done.

I provide the base model,details of what I would like, slides, photos, references etc - and payment "up front".

Been fairly pleased generally but, how long is "too long", to wait for results. I wouldnt want the job rushing and spoiling but would be interested in others opinions.

GKPC

Been with this "supplier" for at least 8 years, a replacement for a gentleman and his son who advertised in a local model shop and despite several visits never actually did anything.

It is now a year since my current supplier bothered to visit and we had a clear the air meeting, or so I thought. Quite a bit of work outstanding including some items which were last seen almost 6 years ago.

Would anyone else consider that "too long" ?

• RMweb Gold

Been with this "supplier" for at least 8 years, a replacement for a gentleman and his son who advertised in a local model shop and despite several visits never actually did anything.

It is now a year since my current supplier bothered to visit and we had a clear the air meeting, or so I thought. Quite a bit of work outstanding including some items which were last seen almost 6 years ago.

Would anyone else consider that "too long" ?

While we modellers are - hopefully - an easy-going, relaxed sort of bunch, befitting a gentle hobby, your relationship with this "contractor" is presumably by way of business for him. You pay, he delivers. Timescales can and do stretch for all the right reasons - but some acknowledgement of your rights as the customer would seem a minimum courtesy. Call your guy and ask for a chat. That alone might give him a GOYA moment (Get Off Yer A***).

Yes i agree, i'm always kept busy with loco commisions/full re-sprays but for weathering jobs wheither its loco's or wagons i take no longer than a week to complete a model and get it sent back to its home!

Even when mega busy with re-sprays i still fit weathering jobs in inbetween doing all this.

Cheers Jon@peakdaleworks

That does sound like too long to me.. Occasionally, some jobs have taken me up to 3 years to complete, but then, I don't ask for cash up front.. I think you might need to give this bloke an ultimatum...

I agree, six years is way too long to wait. I've been slow with some commissions myself, but this was mainly down to volume of work.

I would never advise paying up front though, not for the whole job anyway.

Glenn

Thanks to all who have replied.

"PMP", of course you are correct - you only have one side of this tale, I would dearly love to hear the other side but I'm sorry to say I no longer receive anything directly.

With regard to the contact, unfortunately this has become one way - for whatever reason. I am only able to deal with a third party due to "problems" with e-mail receipt although this does not appear to hinder him responding to others on a variety of sites.

Payment up front, It wasnt a problem at the begining as there was a turnover of completions coming back and fresh ones departing - for some reason a number arent returning.

Another problem I now face is the stockpile, of mainly locos, which arent going anywhere so I will now need to find somebody else. After two "modelling" relationships which could have gone better I am a little less trusting than I was.

Thanks again, GKPC.

• RMweb Premium

How long to wait -

I try to maintain a two week turn around by keeping a sensible level of on-going work - so I don't advertise other than via word of mouth. ( I still have a day job as well). Always ask how long - its a contract thing - and if you don't get stuff back it may end up in the small claims court I am afraid

Quickest was for a young man with a Bachmann 57 which I weathered FOC at Warley as part of my demo last year - it wasn't harsh just a gentle weathering and he seemed happy with the work I did for him...

I know professional modeller builders do have longer waiting times - generally due to follow on work from satisfied clients- so a year or two would seem sensible in that case.

I don't like to keep people waiting too long, but I know I have frustrated some customers by not doing their commisions the "next day"

I always take my time, as I have a full time job too.

But like all good things, come to those who wait patiently!

And my customers never complain when they see the finished product!!

A funny tale though, a friend of mine took a Hornby Class 47 to a model shop in the early 80's for a respray eventually after year of nothing, we went back to the shop and it had shut down.........he never saw the loco again, and when we get togther over a pint we still wonder where it is now!!!

Archived