Class 25 + BCK

Jesse

Hi all,

I've been fascinated by this old thread about single coach trains in the 1980. Mainly the reference to a Class 25 pulling a single BCK (Mk1)- having both first and standard class as well as a bagage compartment in a one-car train, that's brilliant! Unfortunately the link to a photo showing such a train doesn't appear to be working any more. I would love to see that photo - anyone who can help me? Of course other photographic evidence of similar one-coach services would be more than welcome.

Hi, in the meanwhile I've found a picture of a Class 27 hauling a single coach train on a Perth-Dundee service in the 80s here. (scroll a little bit down) Can anyone identify the coach?

Looks like a Mk1 BSO or BCK (5 big windows, versus 4 on a BSK). I think it's a BSO.

As for the 25+BCK photo in the archive thread, the defunct fotopic link suggests it was by a Donald Stirling, possibly the same person who now has a smugmug site at

http://www.donaldstirling.me.uk/browse

However, it isn't in his Scottish Blue section at http://www.donaldstirling.me.uk/ScottishRailways/Scottish-Rail-Blue-Locos/

Maybe worth trying to get in touch and persuade him to reload it??

• RMweb Gold

In the thread on the old Rmweb posters referred to a solitary BG being used on a passenger working out of Huddersfield. At the time that the heritage DMUs were on their last legs on North Manchester services, and Pacers were suffering engine and gearbox failures left right and centre, loco and stock working became very common on services out of Manchester Victoria.

Newton Heath couldn't keep on top of the DMU fleet allocated, so the coaching stock, which nominally belonged somewhere else, got absolutely no maintenance and sets would dwindle to a couple of coaches as individual vehicles were red-carded. I've seen a single de-classified Mk2 BFK on an Oldham Circle train, and another example of the BG running solo as the ultimate standee service.

Just about any vac or dual braked stock could be used, but once it was, its days were probably numbered. Locos were mostly 31s and 47s.

On the other side of the Pennines, around 1970 I remember a Mk1 BSK+CK hauled by a 47 being used as a short notice DMU replacement from Sheffield to Leeds one night (Rotherham Masboro' and Wakefield Westgate stops only).

What a wild ride - if there was a 60mph limit on such short trains then nobody had told the driver or guard. 15 late out of Sheffield, right time Leeds.

Maybe worth trying to get in touch and persuade him to reload it??

Thanks, I hadn't found that site. Will definately try to contact Donald.

(The Clapham Junction/Kensington Olympia "Kenny Belle")

Great! And I understand short trains like those weren't even an exception for the Kenny Belle. Hope Graham Farish will do the TSO to go with that BCK soon!

In the thread on the old Rmweb posters referred to a solitary BG being used on a passenger working out of Huddersfield. At the time that the heritage DMUs were on their last legs on North Manchester services, and Pacers were suffering engine and gearbox failures left right and centre, loco and stock working became very common on services out of Manchester Victoria.

Newton Heath couldn't keep on top of the DMU fleet allocated, so the coaching stock, which nominally belonged somewhere else, got absolutely no maintenance and sets would dwindle to a couple of coaches as individual vehicles were red-carded. I've seen a single de-classified Mk2 BFK on an Oldham Circle train, and another example of the BG running solo as the ultimate standee service.

Just about any vac or dual braked stock could be used, but once it was, its days were probably numbered. Locos were mostly 31s and 47s.

On the other side of the Pennines, around 1970 I remember a Mk1 BSK+CK hauled by a 47 being used as a short notice DMU replacement from Sheffield to Leeds one night (Rotherham Masboro' and Wakefield Westgate stops only).

What a wild ride - if there was a 60mph limit on such short trains then nobody had told the driver or guard. 15 late out of Sheffield, right time Leeds.

Thanks for sharing that - very useful. One would have give credit credit to BR for trying to keep trains running no matter what, despite the poor condition of rolling stock. I didn't know about these weird train compositions and DMU replacement services when I started modelling early 80s BR, but must say I'm finding those days when anything seemed to be possible, well stock-wise that is, really inspiring!

Great! And I understand short trains like those weren't even an exception for the Kenny Belle. Hope Graham Farish will do the TSO to go with that BCK soon!

I think at that time, the two morning Kenny Belle trains were formed of the same 73 with the 2 coaches doing two trips, while the two evening trains were a 33+4TC unit.

No idea if the 2 coaches did anything else for the remaining 22 hours of the day!

That level of service is almost unbelievable now, with the current service between Clapham Jn and Kensington Olympia for most of the day being 5 trains per hour from about 0500-2330, not 4 per day as in the early 80s.

I hadn't realized those few trains actually were the only connection between the two stations - thought it was an extra rush hour service. Must agree the current level of services is quite an improvement then!

(Though I wouldn't mind taking a ride in one of those Mk1's behind a class 73 for a change..)

The Kenny Belle in steam days used to be 2 trains per day each way, the stock returning empty. Same in diesel/TC days until fairly late in the 1970's.

There's a picture on the prototype discussions thread of a DMU motor coach hauling a Mk2 brake coach, apparently in service! The mk2 providing the brake coach.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a Mk1 BSO or BCK (5 big windows, versus 4 on a BSK). I think it's a BSO.

The 17:10 Perth - Arbroath and return to Dundee was booked for a BSK and a TSO, and this set worked 22:25 Dundee - Perth in the evening and back to Dundee the next weekday morning at 07:10 before returning to Perth ecs. I imagine the BSK from this working is the one the OP linked, with the TSO defective or pinched to replace another somewhere else. Here's another two shots of this working.

https://flic.kr/p/7RBwFk

8511988196_3bb02a501b_b.jpgClass 27 leaving Broughty Ferry on Perth-Arbroath train, 1984 by Neale Elder, on Flickr

Interesting too is the use of a pair of BSKs, very much a case of using what stock was available!

There are numerous photos on Flickr of 2 coach trains on Exeter -Barnstaple services during DMU shortages in 1990. Haulage was a variety of class 50s and, on one occasion, an RFD 47

The1S81 Carlisle to Perth ran with two Mk1 passenger coaches on a Saturday Night, the rest of the week a TPO was added along with sundry vans.  Haulage after electrification could be anything up to and including a class 86, and being a bashers favourite the drivers were known to show off and some amazing acceleration could be experienced.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

There was a route in the borders passing through Kelso that was frequently a single coach, this could be a mk1 BCK or an earlier generation of ex LNER equivalent, often hauled by class 4 standard tank.  Cant remember the exact working without getting the books out but believe it originated from st Boswells probably heading to Kelso or possibly even to Berwick. 

This route shut before diesel traction though?

2 and 3 coach trains were commonplace in blue era on Fort William to Mallaig usually with class 27 / 20 or 37 - plenty pics on WH line sites. 

There are a number of photos in the George C O'Hara books, generally listed as Scottish Railbus services, with Class 24's and 26's with a single coach.  Try seaching the Elgin to Aviemore route.  http://www.gnsra.org.uk/images/gallery/DS4_D5341_has_replaced_the_railbus_Elgin_to_Aviemore_in_June_1964_733.jpg

Also Ballinluig to Aberfeldy https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=22268

Also some of the Ayrshire routes.

Sorry, I missed the bit about the 1980's oh well.....

Mk1 BSK and TSO (or could be SK - depends on the roof vents, but I think the corridor coaches had vents in a single straight line)

It's an SK. As you said, the late build ones with Commonwealth bogies had a single line of vents.

Archived