Mark's workbench - lockdown loco build (page 17)

• RMweb Premium

Just tried the "ghost van" on the rear siding of Fryers, which has a gradient of about 1 in 30 and a 1.2m reverse curve. It struggled a bit for traction initially, but once it found its feet it was able to push 10 assorted wagons up the bank. It's a powerful little beasty.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Modelling hasn't really been high on my to do list recently; an "interesting" period at work and some prime mountain biking weather haven't left much time for tinkering at the workbench. The little time I have had has been spent doing a few odd jobs on Fryers Lane which attended two shows in July (but has been slightly neglected since then).

Today I've been to the exhibition formally known as ExpoEM North; ExpoEM Autumn.

The torrential rain on the way up there certainly made it feel autumnal. I was thinking on the way back about how for the past few years I've been working towards deadlines at this time of year, with either BCB or Fryers usually having Autumn exhibition bookings to prepare for, this year though I've not had that pressure. As a result I've not been as productive in terms of modelling output, but with no imminent deadlines, that's not a problem.

I've always found society shows like ExpoEM and Scaleforum inspirational and I've definitely come home from today's show feeling a bit more enthused about doing some modelling. I'm not sure what yet though; my head says there are plenty of part finished projects on the shelf crying out for attention, but (as always) my heart says start another wagon kit. I might have a dig through the unbuilt kits box tomorrow, unless the temptation to go out on the bike gets the better of me.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The Special Tank must be getting close to completion? That would get my vote.

Yes, finding myself awake earlier than expected due to an unwell dog, I got the Special tank out to remind myself where I'd got up to.

On the body, it's really just the castings to fix in place and it'd be ready for paint. Below the footplate, the wheels on the centre axle need replacing to cure a wobble. Although it has run, I'm tempted to see if I can do something better with the pick ups as they are a bit rough. Also thinking through modifications to the brake gear so that it is removable, because swapping the wheels will mean unsoldering some of it anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, finding myself awake earlier than expected due to an unwell dog, I got the Special tank out to remind myself where I'd got up to.

On the body, it's really just the castings to fix in place and it'd be ready for paint. Below the footplate, the wheels on the centre axle need replacing to cure a wobble. Although it has run, I'm tempted to see if I can do something better with the pick ups as they are a bit rough. Also thinking through modifications to the brake gear so that it is removable, because swapping the wheels will mean unsoldering some of it anyway.

impressed that you didn't pick the 'easy' wagon kit option.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

impressed that you didn't pick the 'easy' wagon kit option.

The trouble is, I have a habit of making "easy" wagon kits complicated.

Removed the old pick ups from the Special tank chassis this evening then made a start on fitting some of the castings. Backhead, tank filler and dome are now in place, just got to hope that's the right place and that they stay there.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The crew for the Special tank have arrived and are currently being assembled.

post-6677-0-77334900-1505578987_thumb.jpg

These are from a pack of Edwardian Enginemen from Andrew C Stadden's range.

During the week I spent some time thinking about the next loco kit I want to build. My plan is to follow this one with a LNWR Coal Engine, another LRM kit which I bought last year. I want to try a few different things this time, namely CSB suspension (on both the loco and tender) and plan to use High Level gearbox. In preparation, I've been trying out a few different gearbox options using the planning templates from the High Level website. Following some advice and guidance from my more experienced loco building friends, this looks like the current preferred option:

post-6677-0-59036500-1505579552.jpg

It's a SlimLiner Compact+ with a 1020 motor. I think that once I have that I've got all the components I need to start on that, although there might be a wagon interlude first.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Looks like your very special tank has shed a tube right through the fireman's arms. Poor bloke. Certainly going to leave a scar.

He'll be back at work in no time, they were tough back then.

As for the driver, he has a bit of a reputation, but he's 'armless enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wagons!

This GW van has been hanging around the workbench for ages. I forget its origins, possible an Ian Kirk kit?

post-6677-0-51925200-1506375539_thumb.jpg

The body was assembled some time ago, but I've now added solebars, having first thinned the rear of them to clear sprung axle guards.

post-6677-0-27533600-1506375713_thumb.jpg

After a bit of fiddling it was on its wheels; roof needs a little attention.

post-6677-0-62188900-1506375745_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, something a bit more modern that has been lurking around for even longer also gained wheels, this ZCV Crab is from the Chivers kit.

post-6677-0-54163400-1506375892_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Wagons!

This GW van has been hanging around the workbench for ages. I forget its origins, possible an Ian Kirk kit?

attachicon.gifIMG_20170925_202110.jpg

The body was assembled some time ago, but I've now added solebars, having first thinned the rear of them to clear sprung axle guards.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170925_202448.jpg

After a bit of fiddling it was on its wheels; roof needs a little attention.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170925_204642.jpg

Meanwhile, something a bit more modern that has been lurking around for even longer also gained wheels, this ZCV Crab is from the Chivers kit.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170925_210959.jpg

Im sure that is an Ian Kiirk kit, there was one on eBay a couple of days ago

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I started a batch build of three GWR diagram O11 opens. The bodies were built up a while ago. This week, work has progressed to preparing the solebars, filing away the axleguard from the rear to keep the spring and axlebox detail.

post-6677-0-20927500-1506758841_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, I've received a parcel containing three Midland diagram 299 opens from POWsides. I'll probably take a similar approach with those once the GWR ones are finished.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Spent the afternoon doing some more on the GWR opens.

Firstly, I'd forgotten to open up the axleboxes into slots to allow the suspension to work, much easier to do before the solebars are fixed in place.

post-6677-0-49228900-1506786891_thumb.jpg

Test fit of the axleguards.

post-6677-0-85461700-1506786919_thumb.jpg

First of the trio on its wheels.

post-6677-0-19421700-1506787061_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Spent the afternoon doing some more on the GWR opens.

Firstly, I'd forgotten to open up the axleboxes into slots to allow the suspension to work, much easier to do before the solebars are fixed in place.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170930_124508.jpg

Test fit of the axleguards.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170930_124500.jpg

First of the trio on its wheels.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170930_145631.jpg

I was doing exactly this at 7.00am this morning with a Ratio D2 conversion (the last batch built at 16 foot). What do you use to open them out.  I had a mini drill and a sort of side cutting bit.  it was a bit fierce but ok.

What period is your wagon...  Disc wheels ?

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I just use a normal drill bit (about 1.8mm) in a pin vice, go in at an angle at the top of the existing bearing hole. In reality, the slot probably doesn't need to be a long as I've made it, only really looking for +/- 0.5mm movement of the bearing carrier (unless the track is really rough!). I always use the shouldered bearings, so they need less room to move.

The wheels just happened to be on the bench at the time, it'll most likely have spoked; although think I can get away with some 3 hole disc in my between the wars time span.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

First workbench update of the year!

Not much going on, to be honest. Thought a wagon kit might kick start the old modelling mojo. Now, the trouble I have is that I start a lot of kits, but progress slows down (and sometimes stops) when it comes to the finer points like adding brake gear. I figured a "complete" kit that I could build entirely as intended (which rules out anything plastic as I routinely replace brake gear etc) might be the way to go.

A quick rummage through the stash of unbuilt kits found this Bill Bedford MR 3 plank open.

post-6677-0-90623000-1518035784_thumb.jpg

As you can see, so far progress has been limited to cutting the main parts from the fret and cleaning up a few parts. Well, you can't rush these things...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

After a bit of folding and some slightly burnt fingers, it's starting to look a bit like a wagon.

post-6677-0-06681400-1518299068_thumb.jpg

It could have got further, except I spent 30 minutes looking for some 145 degree solder. Sure enough, it turned up as soon as I switched the iron off and started to pack up.

• Like 5