the trains that time forgot - Britains lost railway journeys

colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

I saw this on BBC4 last night and would reccomend it.

Interesting combination of curent and old footage looking at Named Trains and their modern equivalents. Flying Scotsman, Cornish Riviera Express and Brighton Belle were the subjects.

Would imagine numerous repeats will present themselves and it is (I believe) available on I Player

I thought it was particularly poor. an hour's programme saw 25 minutes on the Cornish Riviera, with about 3 minutes of old film, the rest being film of the present journey and the presenter sitting inside the train.

FIFTEEN minutes on the Flying Scotsman, a bit more old film, mistakes like describing the DVT as a loco, even going so far as to extol it's speed record (yes, really), and a further 20 minutes on the Brighton belle, before which I'd turned off.

Typically poor railway TV prog. I don't know why I bother.

• RMweb Premium

Just watched the Cornish Riviera/Flying Scotsman/Brighton Belle programme.

Not impressed. The presenter seems so condescending IMO  - describing Edinburgh Waverley as looking like a garden centre is just one example. "Have you got any champagne?" is met with a negative response so he asks for a glass and pulls out his own quarter bottle and then complains that it's warm.

"I don't like electric doors, they take all thefun out of going to the toilet" FFS - if he's having fun in the toilet, I wonder (actually I don't) what he's doing in there.

As for commenting that the current Cornish Riviera takes five hours - only two less than the original seven, so that's not very different, although it stops more........... So the current train has taken nearly 30% off the time.

That's another point - he's always banging on about the trains stopping more than the original services - "East Croydon, another stop, how tiresome"

The editing isn't the best - sounds of a Class 40 (or similar EE) in the background of his ECML journey. A good few examples of him stating that the "named train" was a function of the 1920-1940 period, backed up with pictures of 60539 and a rebuilt Bulleid.

I won't be rushing to see other programmes in the series.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I saw this on BBC4 last night and would reccomend it.

Interesting combination of curent and old footage looking at Named Trains and their modern equivalents. Flying Scotsman, Cornish Riviera Express and Brighton Belle were the subjects.

Would imagine numerous repeats will present themselves and it is (I believe) available on I Player

I think this is the second time that it has been repeated - it was first broadcast in September last year.  Watching it that once was quite enough for me although some of the (badly narrated) archive film was interesting.

Archived