The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing that Killian. I do want to make a model of "Inspector" at some point, just because I like oddities, not because it will fit in with any of my plans!!

And if that strikes you as "Oak Hill-esque" then I must be doing something right!!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2

I'm guessing the loco in the background is a D1 'Aldgate', {snipped}

I was wondering about "Eridge"? Was there an Eridge? (Loco, not place!)

Lewes is/ was a very interesting station....with 5 destinations from a basically tri-angular layout.

1. Brighton Via Falmer.

2. Seaford Via Newhaven.

3. Eastbourne Via Polegate and Hampden Park.

4. London Via  Haywards Heath.

5. Uckfield (and Eridge) Via Barcombe Mills and Isfield.

(Another route being to East Grinstead Via Sheffield Park and Horstead Keynes from just before Barcombe Mills Station....)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm guessing the loco in the background is a D1 'Aldgate', if one were to do Inspector, it might be worth contacting 5 and 9 models, if Chris needs more than one order to justify a batch I wouldn't mind doing one either

I will contact Chris at some point about that and will mention the possibility of 2 orders, however I will probably have to wait until Christmas for that!!

I was wondering about "Eridge"? Was there an Eridge?

My vote would be for the loco in the background being Eridge which was also a D1

Hello Gary

Following the comments about 'Inspector', I thought you might like to see my version.

Number plates still to be fitted

Michael

attachicon.gifInspector on track.JPG

Michael,

That is beautiful!! Is that from Chris's kit?? If so then I am sold I will have to try and get one from him!!

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Michael,

Good to know, I have one now that is going to be interesting to motorise, it shall be part of my update later. Hopefully some experience will make it easier when it comes to making inspector.

Gary

• Like 2

Hi Gary.

Good to know tht there was a loco named "Eridge"....another interesting station with many routes! ;)

The LBSCR Cattle Wagon in the current Railway Modeller was made from a detailed "Kenline" card model body, mounted on (probably) a Slaters Midland Railway chassis...

post-12119-0-44068500-1503406376_thumb.jpg

It looks a lot like the one on the Isle Of Wight in 1963....

post-12119-0-43079100-1503406718_thumb.jpg

Kenline was a company advertised, co-incidently, in the 1963 and 1964 Model Railway Constructors that I have just been reading through!

This advert from BMW (Back Cover July 1964 Issue) even features the Cattle Wagon!

post-12119-0-53358300-1503406533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Well guys and gals, it's time for the update,

My birthday last week has resulted in lots of new arrivals but there has been some modelling as well.

Firstly lets start with the arrivals that are not related to my birthday, there was this from Alex (Midland Mole), an image of a Stroudley G Class:

post-22762-0-49657500-1503420390_thumb.jpg

Which with my model next to it makes me think I might need to do a bit more work on it!!

post-22762-0-73149300-1503420397_thumb.jpg

I also got from Bexhill MRC's Exhibition a copy of D.L. Bradley's Locomotive History of the SECR:

post-22762-0-23794900-1503420407_thumb.jpg

From my Birthday I was quite happy with my Railway related haul, starting with LB&SCR Carriages Volume 2:

post-22762-0-51951100-1503420822_thumb.jpg

The first 2 proper trees for the back of the layout, this was all the model shop had in stock, I am happy with them so will replace the rest of the line with these in the near future:

post-22762-0-50710100-1503420854_thumb.jpg

And because my misses has no sympathy for my slow decay into madness, she also got me some screw-link couplings for the locos:

post-22762-0-00921400-1503420865_thumb.jpg

On a less mad note she also got me a nice LB&SCR wagon:

post-22762-0-89981300-1503420871_thumb.jpg

She also got me a very small loco!!

post-22762-0-12047200-1503420887_thumb.jpg

It is a Millwall Extension Railway 2-4-0T by CDC Designs by Shapeways

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XCQBT4X6D/pla-millwall-extension-railway-2-4-0t-kit

https://www.shapeways.com/product/2PMN6HL3A/millwall-tank-rods

These were Manning Wardle engines and when they were built they were the smallest locomotives in Britain!

This one is going to represent an early loco on the pre-LB&SCR Oak Hill Railway! Meaning my scratch built Manning Wardle will no longer be the only pre-LB&SCR loco, I will need to come up with a suitable name for it though!

And in case you can't quite tell how small it is, here is a picture of it placed next to a Hornby Terrier, the rear buffers are lined up:

post-22762-0-92764800-1503420890_thumb.jpg

And so onto the modelling I did, with this new early loco I have started to work on some early carriages, with this First Class made from a Tri-ang Rocket carriage to begin:

post-22762-0-11509600-1503422026_thumb.jpg

For those that have the LB&SCR Carriages volume 1 this is supposed to be a type 13A, which along with the drawing can be seen in the photo of Hailsham c.1870 being pulled by number 115, I intend on building the rake from this photo for the early era on Oak Hill.

That is all for this week, as always your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 11

Hi Gary...

My, that is a little loco! 3D printing is certainly coming on!

I am not too sure that the LB&SCR ever actually had Conflats.....but (Dapol?) are to be congratulated on an enterprising model "Machinery" flat wagon! ;)

Nice trees....better than the "bog-brush" type... ;)

Was that a Tri-ang Rocket coach, or the GBL version?

(on coaches, what happened to the Ks LBSCR coaches that were about in the 1963/4 period? Those magazines again, and something abut them in the IOW articles...)

I spotted a late issue Airfix saddle tank box as well.... ;)

• Like 3

Guest Midland Mole

Very nice haul of stuff there. The books certainly look very interesting, and the trees are a definite improvement over the "good" old bog brush type! :P

Screw-link coupling kit? You are a braver man than me! :D Love the coach, very nicely done....and the loco is really cute. Cant wait to see it built.

Again, I'm glad you liked the plaque-thingy and I look forward to seeing you continue your build of it. :)

Alex

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sarah,

As far as I am aware no the LB&SCR didn't have any conflats, the cloest thing I am aware of is carriage trucks. People are welcome to prove me wrong!!

The carriage was an original Tri-ang version, it was quite damaged and I picked it up at the Uckfield MRC Exhibition last year (21st and 22nd October this year everyone!! and it will be a great show!! not that I'm biased!!) for about a fiver!! which I'm sure tells you how bad it was! The 3 I have with the Tri-ang rocket are safe however!!

I have never actually seen the K's LBSCR carriages (other than in Burgundy's thread) so I couldn't tell you what happened to them.

The Airfix Saddle Tank is my part done 009 conversion, I have another one as well!

Alex,

Yes screw links!! I am truly that insane!! although I still need to 3 links to go with them as she didn't realise they were 2 different things!!

The Plaque is great and it has got me quite invigorated about the G Class project.

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Northroader,

The "machinery" wagon may see some modification in the future, I had originally thought of using it as a carriage truck, after all I'm not sure Oak Hill could manage a container that size anyway!! I will look forward to seeing your machinery wagon on Washbourne.

Alex,

Yes the SE&CR and LB&SCR books are very useful, there are photos of a large number of classes of loco in the SE&CR one, and drawings of things I was going to buy kits for in the LB&SCR one.

I had originally planned the Rocket Carriage to be converted into something resembling the L&M 3rds to go behind my rocket, but when I saw the drawing the in 1st LB&SCR book I knew that would be a better use for it.

and yes it was a very good birthday thank you!!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well everyone just a small update this week.

I had hoped to do quite a bit over the bank holiday weekend, but instead I took the kids toy shopping all day Saturday. Then on Sunday I got gassed, really genuinely gassed!! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-4106908, and then on Monday had to call the AA out as someone pulled out infront of me and when I slammed on the break I broke the gear linkage in the car!!!!!

PS. Everyone is OK following the gassing, a few people, myself included still have red eyes but nothing major.

However amongst the "excitement" I did manage to start work on the next carriage for my 1870's train, this is a type 9A from the Lodon Brighton & South Coast Railway Carriages volume 1, a 9C and 9D are to follow to complete the train along with the 13A already done.

post-22762-0-08342800-1504020572_thumb.jpg

The only other thing of note that has happened this week is the final magazine in the collection for my 0 gauge Mallard has arrived!!

post-22762-0-08248400-1504020568_thumb.jpg

This does mean Oak Hill may slow down while I work on building this, I will start a new thread dedicated to the build elsewhere on RMWeb as to not fill this one up with off topic loco building.

Tonight I am off to a board meeting to discuss the UCKFIELD MRC EXHIBITION 21ST & 22ND OCTOBER 2017, UCKFIELD CIVIC CENTER, TN22 1AE 10AM TO 5PM BOTH DAYS So you may notice a bit of exhibition spam in my updates for a while!! Anyone in the area should come along, its a great show. If your not in the area then I can of course recommend a good hotel!!!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had hoped to do quite a bit over the bank holiday weekend, but instead I took the kids toy shopping all day Saturday. Then on Sunday I got gassed, really genuinely gassed!! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-4106908, and then on Monday had to call the AA out as someone pulled out infront of me and when I slammed on the break I broke the gear linkage in the car!!!!!

PS. Everyone is OK following the gassing, a few people, myself included still have red eyes but nothing major.

However amongst the "excitement" I did manage to start work on the next carriage for my 1870's train, this is a type 9A from the Lodon Brighton & South Coast Railway Carriages volume 1, a 9C and 9D are to follow to complete the train along with the 13A already done.

attachicon.giftype9a.jpg

The only other thing of note that has happened this week is the final magazine in the collection for my 0 gauge Mallard has arrived!!

attachicon.gifmallard.jpg

This does mean Oak Hill may slow down while I work on building this, I will start a new thread dedicated to the build elsewhere on RMWeb as to not fill this one up with off topic loco building.

Tonight I am off to a board meeting to discuss the UCKFIELD MRC EXHIBITION 21ST & 22ND OCTOBER 2017, UCKFIELD CIVIC CENTER, TN22 1AE 10AM TO 5PM BOTH DAYS So you may notice a bit of exhibition spam in my updates for a while!! Anyone in the area should come along, its a great show. If your not in the area then I can of course recommend a good hotel!!!

Gary

Gary,

The 'like' was for the model and the exhibition, not that you were gassed.  I hope that there are no long term effects, like liking Invisible green engines and green and white coaches.  ;)   Seriously though, hope the eyes clear up quickly, and your car gets sorted.  Glad no one was hurt.

Have a good exhibition.  I doubt that I will be able to make it as I nearly did not get to the one down the road this year.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris,

Thankfully the only effect of the gas left now is visual I can see fine and am not in any pain any more, hopefully the redness will die down over the next few days. The car has already been repaired so no issues there anymore, just some minor irritation as we had to cancel and then re-book a dinner reservation.

Having seen what is coming to this years exhibition I have no doubt it will be a good one. Gordon and Maggie Gravett's new layout is having its exhibition debut!! For me that alone is going to make this years show well worth being at, and it's only 7 weeks away with plenty of behind the scenes work left to do.

Gary

• Like 1

attachicon.giftype9a.jpg

attachicon.gifmallard.jpg

Gary

Thanks Chris,

Thankfully the only effect of the gas left now is visual I can see fine and am not in any pain any more, hopefully the redness will die down over the next few days. The car has already been repaired so no issues there anymore, just some minor irritation as we had to cancel and then re-book a dinner reservation.

Having seen what is coming to this years exhibition I have no doubt it will be a good one. Gordon and Maggie Gravett's new layout is having its exhibition debut!! For me that alone is going to make this years show well worth being at, and it's only 7 weeks away with plenty of behind the scenes work left to do.

Gary

Nasty business at Birling Gap - glad no serious or lasting effects - and commiserations on the car (I had to shell out for a new gearbox just before going on holiday, so I empathise!).

Really excellent work on the coaches.

• RMweb Gold

Hi James,

I hope you had a good time away!!

Birling Gap was very nasty, to be honest I was in no state to be driving but I didn't have much of a choice as we had to leave! The emergency services were more concerned with getting everyone out! I am however all better now so that's a plus!!

There is some more of the carriages in tomorrows update, as well as a railway adventure I have had!!

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What a week that was!!!!! Not much has happened modelling wise but a good railway week none the less!!!

Firstly the Alan Gibson wheels for my new Manning Wardle turned up:

post-22762-0-85116600-1504616013_thumb.jpg

Allowing me to stage this scene with my newly arrived figure of William Stroudley inspecting the Oak Hill Railway stock in early 1873 not long after the LB&SCR took over the running of the line:

post-22762-0-03150700-1504616023_thumb.jpg

I also got the Type 9A carriage looking a lot more complete with just some smaller details to add, such as door handles:

post-22762-0-64736400-1504616056_thumb.jpg

That is all on the modelling front, however people that saw my status update, or follow me on Twitter (@OakHillRailway) will know that I went on a railway outing on Saturday to the Bluebell railway starting at Sheffield Park:

post-22762-0-02639900-1504616207_thumb.jpg

A place that seems to be full of familiar engines, I think they might have been copying my modelling you know!! :jester: :jester: :

post-22762-0-79705900-1504616258_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-76515600-1504616278_thumb.jpg

and then image how happy I was discovering that the train I would be on was in the hands of the beautiful machine:

post-22762-0-45176700-1504616339_thumb.jpg

I must say there is something about the P Class in Blue that looks just right!!

I could not resist the chance to get up close and personal for some shots of the cab, mine doesn't even have one yet!!! And as I'm sure you must know there is no better view of the cab than if you are standing in it!!!!!!!

post-22762-0-49442100-1504616479_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-28631100-1504616486_thumb.jpg

In total I took 208 photos throughout the day including one of every sign at Sheffield park so that I can reproduce them in 4mm scale for Oak Hill, I will not bore you with them all however I also took 25mins of HD video that will appear on my YouTube channel once I have flipped it all the right way up!!!!

So I hope you enjoyed (I know I did!!) and thanks for looking,

Gary

• Like 12