South West Trains fare structure

• RMweb Premium

Why are a number of posts in this thread been truncated - e.g the op is unfinished, one by stationmaster, another by Phil - is there a posting problem?

It's already been reported.  Something to do with the server upgrade I suspect.  

• RMweb Premium

Investigating but I haven't seen other topics affected. Very odd.

Another brief outage has just occurred which might have been aimed at fixing the bug.  The posts are still truncated despite a cache clean to remove any older versions of the page.  As well page 1 appears to have converted itself to all italic font.  Curiouser and curiouser.  

Page 1 isn't displaying in italics for me, there doesn't seem to be any change in the truncation issue yet although they're still working on it as we speak.

I've just noticed some posts which haven't been truncated after a £ symbol for instance. I think the issue is that £s may be OK if they were typed directly into the ditor whilst content pasted from Word, emails or web sources may have carried some code over. I always try to remember to past as plain text or port through notepad but inevitably I forget when it's something important.

• RMweb Premium

Odd.

I've refreshed again and the lower half of p1 remains all italic including the member's details and reply pane text.

I use plain text without copying over (hence a proportion of my posts are edited for fat-finger spelling) and have my Aussie keyboard set to British characters whereupon Shift 3 gives me a £ symbol and not the hash as per default.  Unless that is generating some sort of background code I can't see why my posts are affected.

Edit - simultaneous posts.  And this is meant to be in italics! 

• RMweb Gold

OK, I see it now; it's the posts after The Stationmaster. It is odd but it's still work in progress, hope they can fix it.

Hi Andy

Likewise in this topic, everything is bold after a post was formatted bold to the final character. It would seem a </span> tag is going missing:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82755-midland-metro-tracklaying-in-brum/page-11&do=findComment&comment=2200120

Martin.

Hi Andy

Likewise in this topic, everything is bold after a post was formatted bold to the final character. It would seem a tag is going missing:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82755-midland-metro-tracklaying-in-brum/page-11&do=findComment&comment=2200120

Martin.

Thanks Martin, I think you're right but it's difficult to pin down as the incidence on page 1 of this topic does not seem to have happened in other topics where I've looked at postings after The Stationmaster. A needle in a haystack.

Looking around more widely the truncation issue does seem to only affect text which has been pasted in from Word etc as you say, entries directly into the text editor do not seem to be so it looks like the software's dealing with xml formatting is awry. Invision carried out some work looking at a copy of the database last night but I didn't get any conclusion to it; the time difference between here and there doesn't help. After four nights of acting as a comms relay between India and Virginia I was a bit weary of it all.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Martin, I think you're right but it's difficult to pin down as the incidence on page 1 of this topic does not seem to have happened in other topics where I've looked at postings after The Stationmaster. A needle in a haystack.

Looking around more widely the truncation issue does seem to only affect text which has been pasted in from Word etc as you say, entries directly into the text editor do not seem to be so it looks like the software's dealing with xml formatting is awry. Invision carried out some work looking at a copy of the database last night but I didn't get any conclusion to it; the time difference between here and there doesn't help. After four nights of acting as a comms relay between India and Virginia I was a bit weary of it all.

My Dobris layout thread lost most of the header. It ended up just a ' Dobr'. I think it might have been the symbol over the ' i' that might have caused it to lose the rest of the header  I have now changed the title so it doesnt have that symbol over the i.

• RMweb Gold

OK, I see it now; it's the posts after The Stationmaster. It is odd but it's still work in progress, hope they can fix it.

Might have guessed I'd figure in this somewhere  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:   (probably down to using several £ signs in a post in italics - a sort of scatter gun approach to symbols ;) ).

Oddly in the thread about the Junior Doctor's dispute a complete post of mine has gone apart from two little symbols (which weren't in the original) and it didn't even include a £ symbol).  Post 392 on this page -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104400-junior-doctors-contract-dispute-views-from-a-junior-doctor/page-16

• RMweb Gold

Oddly in the thread about the Junior Doctor's dispute a complete post of mine has gone apart from two little symbols (which weren't in the original) and it didn't even include a pound symbol).  Post 392 on this page -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104400-junior-doctors-contract-dispute-views-from-a-junior-doctor/page-16

Hi Mike,

It's because there was a pound symbol in the post you quoted. The entire content of a post gets lost after a special character anywhere within it. This probably also explains the italic/bold formatting issues, as the terminating delimiter on the formatting also gets lost.

But help is at hand, see: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108043-new-skin-testing-particularly-for-anyone-whos-had-problems-with-editingquoting-etc/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2208178

Martin.

I was in touch with SWTrains customer relations dept who told me that destinations as far as Southampton are commutable, hence the fare discrepancy. I get commuting and it's usually in the morning and early evening, not early afternoon, but heyho.

Mal

• RMweb Premium

I was in touch with SWTrains customer relations dept who told me that destinations as far as Southampton are commutable, hence the fare discrepancy. I get commuting and it's usually in the morning and early evening, not early afternoon, but heyho.

Mal

Oh, don't tell them.... I've worked with several folk who commute from Poole to Waterloo

• RMweb Premium

Mal

I suspect they have a notional line in their sand which suggests distances / times beyond Southampton proscribe London commuting.  It's done however,  A good many daily users travel up from the New Forest stations and from Bournemouth and Poole.  

Commuting can be done over even longer distances.  I was once among BR's longest distance commuters living in Hayle and commuting to Manor Park for work.  Not daily of course (though the timetable permitted such to be done - just) but up on a Monday and back on a Friday.  I believe there was once a first class annual season ticket holder between Inverness and London who had calculated that was a cheaper option that buying individual tickets for his regular travels. I wonder if they made him pay the sleeper supplement.

I suspect they have a notional line in their sand which suggests distances / times beyond Southampton proscribe London commuting.  It's done however,  A good many daily users travel up from the New Forest stations and from Bournemouth and Poole.  

Commuting can be done over even longer distances.  I was once among BR's longest distance commuters living in Hayle and commuting to Manor Park for work.  Not daily of course (though the timetable permitted such to be done - just) but up on a Monday and back on a Friday.  I believe there was once a first class annual season ticket holder between Inverness and London who had calculated that was a cheaper option that buying individual tickets for his regular travels. I wonder if they made him pay the sleeper supplement.

:offtopic: York is a 2-hour commuter destination, too (different area, I know)

Mal

Archived