west highland mk1 coaches

darren chpamn

• RMweb Premium

Notice that the photos show two different liveries here - the Harburn Hobbies ones are the later version (although they've also, I think, done the earlier), and the prototype photos are the earlier ones. I believe the livery changed in 1987. 

The earlier version was an odd green which covered the area normally covered by BR blue on a standard blue-grey Mk1. That means the green lower body side curves up at the ends of the sides to meet the green stripe at the top of the sides, and then wraps around the ends. And where the blue and grey would be separated by a white line, on the WHL stock the green and cream are separated by a black line, again wrapped up at the ends.

The later repaints just had parallel bands of green and cream, with a green stripe at the top, without the two green areas meeting at the ends of the sides. And I believe the Harburn model is right in having black ends. I think this later version had different lining, involving some red as well as black.

The later green is also closer to something resembling one of the LNER greens or other - Precision Darlington at a guess. But Harburn's release of the earlier version seems to have the same green, and I do have a screen grab of a picture that used to be on fotopic of a TSO (?) at Cowlairs where the green looks more LNER, less ... sickly. Sort of like Railmatch Doncaster LNER. 

Note also that the lettering is different on both liveries. Fox do the transfers but they're very "filmy" - as with any transfers, get them from anyone else if you can: Modelmaster, Railtec.  

Archived