Comet K40 Brake - Airfix B Set Conversion

sjrixon

• RMweb Gold
After letting the lining on the first side dry for about 48hrs I looked at the marks I'd left behind that you can see in the previous picture. Using some fresh, clean water and a cotton bud I wiped along the length and thankfully they all cleaned up completely. So I went onto the door markings, the GWR etc. Not a great shot, and it was still wet, but welcome coach 34.

IMAG0761_zpsbfga4m2j.jpg

Now I need to do the other side!

I thought it was about time to finish the other part of the coach. So the steps have been made and the ends completed.

IMAG0752_zpsea2wzjpq.jpg

IMAG0753_zps04xcvaqf.jpg

Now all in primer

IMAG0757_zpsdj7xdqam.jpg

• Like 10

Cheers Richard. That's going to be a big airbrush!

The coach is only primer. I figured it wouldn't make much different to the impact adhesives?

You are gluing to the paint not the coach side so if the paint hasn't keyed on to the plastic it is possible it could peel away.

• RMweb Gold

I'll rub down the side before getting the glue out then! 

Glad I've given you some inspiration CoY. People on here have been really helpful in helping me through this first build. It's certainly not a small project if you want to do it justice, but as with everything in this amazing hobby it's worth the effort.

I've spent tonight adding the lining to the other side. I like to give it plenty of time to dry before I'm doing the rest so I don't disturb it. the roof has also had a few coats of GWR white and is looking quite smart!

• RMweb Premium

I'll rub down the side before getting the glue out then! 

Glad I've given you some inspiration CoY. People on here have been really helpful in helping me through this first build. It's certainly not a small project if you want to do it justice, but as with everything in this amazing hobby it's worth the effort.

I've spent tonight adding the lining to the other side. I like to give it plenty of time to dry before I'm doing the rest so I don't disturb it. the roof has also had a few coats of GWR white and is looking quite smart!

Just found this topic and very interesting as I have several similar conversions in the pipeline. A number of good tips that I shall use.

Just a couple of observations if I may.

First, unless I missed it I haven't seen a mention of replacing the odd curved headstocks. John Dew's photos earlier in the topic show how they should look. This really makes a huge difference to the overall appearance of the coach.

Secondly, although this is probably too late, I recommend strongly using an etching primer for brass. Otherwise, over time the paint is liable to wear or at worst flake off.

Look forward to more progress and seeing the finished model.

• RMweb Gold

I did consider doing something with the headstock. I had a play about with some plasticard when I was trying to affix the buffers, but nothing really looked right, so on this occasion I've left it. The primer was Halfords car primer, someone recommended it to me. I figured if it can key into a car body, should be fine on some soft brass!

I did consider doing something with the headstock. I had a play about with some plasticard when I was trying to affix the buffers, but nothing really looked right, so on this occasion I've left it. The primer was Halfords car primer, someone recommended it to me. I figured if it can key into a car body, should be fine on some soft brass!

Car primer is all I use. However I do scrub the sides (and any other etches, with a fine wire brush before I start. It roughs up the surface enough for the paint to adhere. In addition, allowing car sprays to harden for a couple of days before handling helps.

I have coaches primed with car spray approaching 40 years old and the paint has not come off yet.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie

Here are some examples of what can be done with the headstocks.  The brown coach was a tester for modifying underframe, repairing hinges, removing end detail and the headstocks.

The other one is work in progress, but also shows some of what can be done with the bogies, although they look a bit odd in this photo.  The bad alignment of the buffer castings is also readily apparent.

Oakhill

post-2017-0-12039300-1480567211_thumb.jpg

post-2017-0-27056400-1480567320_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That brown coach was taking a beating then! I like your idea on the headstock, maybe next time :) I'm now on a tight time frame as I want the coach ready for a club running session next Tuesday. So with that in mind I've started on the ends, grab rails and rain strip. The roof has had about 3 coats and is looking really smart. 

I tucked some pieces of paper under the grab rails on the roof to protect the paint. That roof is going to need some serious weathering at some point, I can't believe they were that clean for very long.

IMAG0769_zpsromgnplv.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

With a following wind things came together last night! 

I used some plastic glazing that I'd bought from Wizard on my last shopping trip. It was quite easy to stick in with deluxe materials glass and glaze, if you haven't used this stuff you really should, it dries clear and won't cloud the plastic. I then used a thin permanent marker to add the bars onto the back. With that all done it was time to attach the sides with contact adhesive. I wrapped rubber bands around it while it dried and tucked cocktail sticks into the roof line under the rain strip to get it to all hold together. 

IMG_7008_zpsmq1kimcj.jpg

There are a few parts I'm not 100% happy with. The ends haven't set perfectly onto the coach and you can see a little space, that shot also shows up a little part of the underframe that's not painted!

Overall I'm very happy! A big thanks to everyone that's posted and helped along the way. It was certainly a lot more work than I was expecting, but if other people are reading this, don't be put off, it's all possible with some patience. I'd never soldered anything more than two wires before this. I'll get some better photos in some better light and on a layout next week.

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 8

• 1 year later...