Comet K40 Brake - Airfix B Set Conversion

sjrixon

• RMweb Premium

Good Khris.. That was my hope, that I can learn and teach.. :)

No pictures today, I don't really think you need to see more shots of the doors! Having learnt from my mistakes of putting the hinges on first, I started with the droplights on the second side. When I then came to the hinges, it was so easy! There were two layers of nice brass, with solder on. So I drilled the hole, pushed it in, a dab of flux and just heated it up. Simple!

Then I broke my last 0.45mm drill bit :( So I now need to wait for the postman.

Once the brass sides are completed, do I need to clean them? I'm sure I'd seen that a nice hot soapy bath and a brush with a toothbrush is a good idea? To get all the flux remains off?

Sif is your friend as you can get at all areas when just using sides and don't use someone else's toothbrush! I'm a fuss ar$e and clean the fronts with a f/glass brush. 

Mrs.Mop.

Once the brass sides are completed, do I need to clean them? I'm sure I'd seen that a nice hot soapy bath and a brush with a toothbrush is a good idea? To get all the flux remains off?

Absolutely -  just not with soap, lanolin will prevent a good adherance for paint. I noticed on the start of your build that you hadn't cleaned the sides before you started soldering. I use one of those inch diameter fibre brushes, no use for getting rid of excess solder but really good at cleaning brass. Not cleaning the brass sides can lead to problems in soldering, not all etched sides are cleaned of their etching fluid.

Cleaning after finishing a soldering session is a must, make it part of your modeling regime/session. It will pay dividends. If you want to know how there are plenty of suggestions on this site just search for them.

Mike

Edited by Mike G

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike.. That's a useful shot!

One down!

IMAG0702_zpskoppnaip.jpg

Once the second side is complete, I am very tempted to prime them both before they go on the coach. I know some people even complete the painting before they go on the coach!

• Like 1

Thanks Mike.. That's a useful shot!

One down!

IMAG0702_zpskoppnaip.jpg

Once the second side is complete, I am very tempted to prime them both before they go on the coach. I know some people even complete the painting before they go on the coach!

With sides onto rtr bodies I ALWAYS paint and line before affixing. It is alot easier to work on an almost flat surface rather than a body shell. It saves alot of masking for painting the roof and ends. With the rain gutter built out with some microstrip the sides will fit under the gutter to hide the edge, regardless of what colour it is painted.

post-9992-0-40038800-1477922331.jpg

Good luck

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 5

With sides onto rtr bodies I ALWAYS paint and line before affixing. It is alot easier to work on an almost flat surface rather than a body shell. It saves alot of masking for painting the roof and ends. With the rain gutter built out with some microstrip the sides will fit under the gutter to hide the edge, regardless of what colour it is painted.

post-9992-0-77306200-1477422863_thumb.jpg

Good luck

Mike Wiltshire

Nice job.

I am currently cutting and shutting a left and right hand from Hornby railroad Colletts.

Won't be as accurate as yours but should be close and a 'cheap fun' project.

Edited by lofty1966

• RMweb Gold

There has been some slow progress on this, life did get a little in the way.

I finally finished the other side. When I offered up the side I realised that the bottom row of door hinges would catch on the inside. So I've used a small drill with a grinding bit to file them down. This caused a couple of them to drop out as the solder clearly hadn't got right into the joint. So, some more solder, cleaning up and grinding later I think I'm all good. I've cleaned up both sides, check areas where the glazing would go etc.

Next job was to slice the windows out of the airfix coach.. I went for the whole side chop out version! Maybe looking again at Mike's picture I should have left some parts in for strength, but it's done now! 

Now I need to see what I want to do with the coach ends.. Needs some corridor connections, new buffers and other odd and ends.

• RMweb Gold

Can someone post up a picture of the end please?

I've read that this coach doesn't have train alarm gear. I guess that's because there are no passengers in the coach to pull it! However, what happens if you put this coach at the front of the train? How would the alarm message be carried?

I have 'bellows' for the corridor connection. But no steps to fit around them, any tips on steps?

What are the two things that come up from the base of the coach either side of the corridor connection? 

Edited by sjrixon

I've read that this coach doesn't have train alarm gear. I guess that's because there are no passengers in the coach to pull it! However, what happens if you put this coach at the front of the train? How would the alarm message be carried?

I have 'bellows' for the corridor connection. But no steps to fit around them, any tips on steps?

What are the two things that come up from the base of the coach either side of the corridor connection? 

There are only steps at one end. Step position is standard as other Collett coaches, use a new Hornby as a guide (apart from the three brakes converted to side corridor for the TPO)

On mine I used plastruct angle cut to shape. On others I have used a David Geen etch as the tab to fix to the end is round rather than flat (cannot drill flat holes)

The two things that come from the base are the electric light plugs.

Train alarm gear is independent to each coach so there is no cable to carry across. If pulled it would need resetting on the coach the alarm was released.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie

• RMweb Gold

Chop, Chop, Chop.. Wasn't actually that hard with the Dremel. 

IMAG0718_zps8dsr57qs.jpg

Just held on with rubber bands to make sure it all fits.. I'm really pleased, it's looking good.

IMAG0719_zpslmjzkq4u.jpg

Try and at least get in into primer next week.

• Like 6

Nice job.

I am currently cutting and shutting a left and right hand from Hornby railroad Colletts.

Won't be as accurate as yours but should be close and a 'cheap fun' project.

I'd be interested to see pictures of that one too as a Collett full brake is on my to do list as well. Had I known it could have been done that way, I would have picked two up from Anoraks Anonymous yesterday....

• RMweb Gold

Here are some shots of the ends I used on my conversion

post-465-0-59547700-1478470088_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-28458800-1478470168_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-10867400-1478470115.jpg

post-465-0-28059000-1478470140.jpg

I bought an end pack from Comet.but only used the stepped end.....you can see there was bit of fettling

The build is covered in Page 17 (I think) of my layout thread........ Granby

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Nice layout there John.. I need to have a proper read..

I'm hacking the ends about, contemplating paint. Is there any details about running numbers, colours etc online? I'm thinking chocolate and cream, would look smart at the end of a rake of siphons. I've the paint and the transfers, so no fear on that part.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Glad you liked Granby.

There should be running numbers on the sheet that came with the sides.....I can try and find my copy if you can't find yours.

The N gauge society commissioned a K42? In a number of liveries......the illustrations on their site are quite helpful and there is a long thread on RMweb which I found useful.

I agree chocolate and cream will look good......if I do another one (I still have the donor's sister) I think I will try that although I am quite happy with the brown for my period

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Hi Phil

What's your tip for soldering drop lights that are close together? As far as I can tell, the etch drop lights are wider than the gaps between the holes in the sides (e.g. For the central pairs of doors). Do you need to file back the sides or is there another dodge?

Thanks

David

• RMweb Gold

John, found the numbers, thanks.. Also found the other thread so grabbed the 2 shots of the chocolate a cream versions.

I think mine is going for chocolate and cream, one yellow line, with the crest. Should look nice and smart :)

The Cif did an amazing job. Nice and shiny. I then was very careful to not handle them, I put them in kitchen towel and placed on a radiator to dry.

IMAG0727_zpsssqplywh.jpg

I then thought it best to get some grey primer on as quickly as I could.

IMAG0728_zpswu0znquk.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you look closely at the second picture, the second side, it's missing two hinges on the last door :( I didn't realise this until the first coat of cream was going on.. So back to the work bench for some touching up..

On happy notes I've started on the ends.. All the old detail has been cut away with a knife and a then sanded flat. I've then built the corridor connection suspension units. I hope I've got this right, the instructions were like something from an origami book!

IMAG0730_zpsdhwmbrfu.jpg

IMAG0731_zpsy7gmw8su.jpg

• Like 2