Rail Stores vans

JDW

• RMweb Premium

I was looking through the latest RE Modeller section earlier, and in the feature about stores vans, there was a picture about one which appeared to be in a green and grey version of Railfreight red/grey, and Google produces images of a Hornby and Farish model of something similar, but were there many more vans (or other vehicles) in this colour?  It's not one I've come across before, I can't imagine it was very widespread considering most of the vans used were nearing the end of their lives and not high priority for painting.

I was looking through the latest RE Modeller section earlier, and in the feature about stores vans, there was a picture about one which appeared to be in a green and grey version of Railfreight red/grey, and Google produces images of a Hornby and Farish model of something similar, but were there many more vans (or other vehicles) in this colour?  It's not one I've come across before, I can't imagine it was very widespread considering most of the vans used were nearing the end of their lives and not high priority for painting.

IIRC, there weren't a huge number of these vehicles, but they lasted a long while. The vehicles in question had been converted with air-brakes and modernised suspension in the late 1960s, for tests of both brake and suspensions. When the tests had been completed, the vehicles either found use in the revenue fleet, or were transferred to the Chief Mechanical and Electrical Engineer for use in the distribution of parts via the Air-Braked Network.

There were several types of vehicles trialled:-

12t Vanfits, and 12t steel Highfits - these went to the CM&EE

12t Palvans, 22t Plate and 22t Tube- these went into the revenue fleet.

The curious thing was that although brakes and suspension were modified, the smaller vehicles retained their original style of axle-boxes. The last examples I saw were at Paddock Wood (12t steel high) and Dover (12t vanfit) in the mid 1990s.

• RMweb Premium

Pictures of it are rare, there is a picture of a test train at Haywards Heath somewhere with it just peeking into shot, adjacent to a Mk3a sleeper!!  Try running that combo on your layout at a show and see how many funny looks you get!

EDIT: Found it!

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p982231745/h2543F75F#h2543f75f

• RMweb Premium

Pictures of it are rare, there is a picture of a test train at Haywards Heath somewhere with it just peeking into shot, adjacent to a Mk3a sleeper!!  Try running that combo on your layout at a show and see how many funny looks you get!

EDIT: Found it!

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p982231745/h2543F75F#h2543f75f

Is that some form of camera bracketted off the veranda upright?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Probably.  If I recall this was a gauging trial with a Mk3a covered in blocks of polystyrene to see where they got knocked off where the gauge was a tad too tight.  A similar exercise was tried with a Networker down the East Grinstead branch once and resulted in lots of bits of polystyrene being dumped up and down the line!!

• RMweb Premium

Probably.  If I recall this was a gauging trial with a Mk3a covered in blocks of polystyrene to see where they got knocked off where the gauge was a tad too tight.  A similar exercise was tried with a Networker down the East Grinstead branch once and resulted in lots of bits of polystyrene being dumped up and down the line!!

Ahh ! Now that you mention it, I can make out the styrene blocks on the sleeper.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Archived