NCE Power Cab or Prodigy Advance - Which one to go for

reggie

Hi All,

I know this subject has been debated a few times, but I would like to throw a spin on it...

If the NEC and Prodigy Advance2 were the same price, so cost is not a factor, which would you choose and why?

I know it is very subjective, but I am looking to upgrade and don't know which to plump for. I know both are more than capable to operate my layout, but do either have any features the other lacks, that are useful, i.e I like the Recall facility on the Prodigy...

Thanks in advance...

Reggie 

For a start, you are not really comparing eggs with eggs.

The North Coast PowerCab is a cut down starter set, based on the full NCE PowerPro system.

Although it retains most of the functionality of the full blown system, it has limited power capability (which may not be an issue on a small layout) and loses some of the features of its big brother.

The MRC Prodigy Advance2 (squared) on the other hand, is that company's full system.

Their equivalent starter system is the Prodigy Express2.

Having said that, the NCE starter system is significantly more fully featured than MRC's own starter offering.

Both can be used with their bigger siblings, as additional throttles/cabs.

The PowerPro is considerably more expensive than the PA2, but might be considered by some to be superior.

Both have wireless options.

Going back to the comparison you are looking at, between the PowerCab and PA2, at lot of it will be down to personal preference.

How the throttle feels in the hand, speed knob versus thumbwheel, selecting and ease of switching between locos, ease of programming and switching between functions etc, etc.

First thing to do, if possible, is go and try both out.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Given the good points made by Ron, I'd also add the following - based on experience in viewing before purchase, and the choice then to start with NCE PowerCab;

i) I preferred the thumb wheel throttle on the NCE, makes single handed operation easier for me than the rotary

ii) Never touched DCC before but the CV setting on programming track was very straightforward to use/understand for a beginner

iii) Started "simple" even though I have a large layout - four track mainline, and wanting at least four locos/trains running much of the time - recall easy to use once you get used to the cyclical nature of it.

iv) Easy (EXTREMELY) to add a USB card first and connect everything to JMRI, and using several cell phones and tablets for additional throttles

v) Then added a booster and CP6 Circuit protector for 6 sub-districts at relatively small added expense and pretty much now have everything I need.

Experience with NCE support - twice;

i) once to get a longer 10' custom made cable for the PowerCab, very inexpensive (can't have been much more than cost!!) and quickly handled, a delight to talk to the folks

ii) Luckily sourced an "older" booster (SB-3) from eBay for a song and needed an updated chip. Sent for FREE and they even paid the postage though I offered to pay any/all costs - can't beat that!

I do like the system, a very worthwhile company to support, just a happy customer.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

I fully agree with Ron3

You do need to try both, I tried several and settled on the NCE Powercab. Mainly because I preferred the handling but the additional features were an additional incentive

I don't need the bigger power output of the Power Pro, so didn't got for that

As is clear from many posts on here, people have their own firm preferences, but most will say, try them out and pick the one that you like!

John

Edited by johnb

As mentioned, NCE is fully upgradeable so you can start off with the Powercab (which is very well featured for its cost) then if you want to upgrade it to the same Spec as the PowerPro, the total cost is similar to buying the full PowerPro in the first place so you don't pay through the nose for upgrading the slow way.

As above, I am just a happy user.

It is always worth checking Ebay for used ones. Powercabs are hard to find on there. I assume this is because users like them enough to keep them?

Hopefully a Prodigy user will be along shortly to balance the argument.

Thanks for your quick response all...must admit my own leanings are towards the NCE - it does seem to be the popular choice, but like you all say - trying them out is the answer, Doncaster exhibition is not too far off, may wait until I go to that.

I would still welcome Prodigy Users experience/thoughts...

Thanks for your quick response all...must admit my own leanings are towards the NCE - it does seem to be the popular choice, but like you all say - trying them out is the answer, Doncaster exhibition is not too far off, may wait until I go to that.

I used a Prodigyfor six years before switching to an ESU50200. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Prodigy2 (I just wanted to be able to exploit the many extra features that the ESU controller offers) and it has now migrated to France where is doing sterling duty on my ex-pat friend's layout.

In my view, the Prodigy2 is very straightforward to get up and running and is simple to use and for those reasons I believe it is an excellent "starter" system. It has plenty of power to run a number of locomotives on a decent sized layout and there is the possibility of adding a booster if you need more power at a later stage. The base unit will support multiple handsets if you want to have more that one "driver" and there is a wireless option if you aspire to that.

It can read and write CVs readily to all the makes of decoder I have tried (quite a few) and it is simple to switch between running and programming. It has separate connections for the supply to the main track for running and to the programming track. It has the ability to "consist" two or more locomotives so that they run together. It also has the ability to program "routes" so that if you have DCC-operated points, you can choose a "route" that will set all the appropriate points in one go.

I tried four or five different systems before I eventually bought the Prodigy2. The choice is subjective and personal and I completely agree with all the others who have said that you should try several different systems before you buy. Having done so, you will "know" which one is right for you.

John

• Like 1

Hi

I have both NCE PowerCab and the MRC Prodigy Advanced. I do find the PA to be easier to set CVs and operate accessories. Price wise the PA is at least £100 more than the PCab.

The PA has a 3.5Amp power output where the PCab is around 1.8Amp as supplied in the U.K, but can be increased to a maximum of 3.0Amp with a replacement power supply. The PCabs UK as supplied power unit is 12 volt which reduces the rail volts considerably. Best is to use an upgrade Power supply offering 15 volts DC, which the PA comes with automatically.

The PA is available as full radio wireless but the PCab wireless is not UK legal. Apparently they (NCE) have no plans to make it so!

If buying again which would I go for? .... To be honest budget would control me, so it would be the PCab. But for simple to use and a good amperage and voltage the PA has the advantage hands down IMO.

I also have a SPROG II and a Hornby eLink both PC operated systems. The PA and PCab can be used via a PC too.

As stated, your options are budget and what suits you, no one else. But if possible do try both before parting with your cash.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

.....Price wise the PA is at least £100 more than the PCab.

Having just had a quick look, the cheapest online prices from well known UK suppliers, reduces that difference to just £73.50.

£136.00 v £209.50

The PA has a 3.5Amp power output where the PCab is around 1.8Amp as supplied in the U.K, but can be increased to a maximum of 3.0Amp with a replacement power supply.

The PCabs UK as supplied power unit is 12 volt which reduces the rail volts considerably. Best is to use an upgrade Power supply offering 15 volts DC, which the PA comes with automatically.

The maximum design rating (even with a 3 amp power supply) is 2 amps output.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but AIUI, anything above will invalidate the warranty.

NCE produce their own UK plug fitted version of their higher rated PowerCab power supply (P114UK), which has a 2 amp and 13.8v rated track output.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

What you haven't said, is what your requirements are.

For example....

Is the low power rating of the PowerCab sufficient?

How many throttles do you envision having, now or in the future?

Is the layout large enough that you might need to unplug and plug in your throttle elsewhere?

Is computer control likely to feature at some point?

Thanks again for all you help and advice all. Re the price this is what i have found Ron, the price difference is £73-50 online at the moment, this is why i was weighing up the two, as in the long run the price gap is not that big if you factor it out over a few years of use. Only drawback with online is you can't try before you buy of course...

So I have to either wait to try both at an exhibition or just take the plunge on one, there's always ebay if i think I've made the wrong choice! (seems to me some people on ebay pay almost full price for stuff, there is a NCE bid at £138 at the moment inc delivery, you can get a new one online for that!!!)

Ron, I am a little concerned about the NCE power output, I can run 3 to 4 locos, some with sound. i only envisage one throttle but that could change in future I dont think i will need multi plug in points. I don't think I will want computer control in the near future, it doesn't appeal to me. At the moment i operate points the traditional way from a control panel, which I like, but may want to use accessory control in DCC in the future.

The price of the PA at £209-50 is quite attractive, if they were at the RRP of £275 I think i would have def gone for the NCE, this is why I am in a bit of a quandry! 

....Re the price this is what i have found Ron, the price difference is £73-50 online at the moment......

An even smaller price differential if the NCE Auto-SW is added (£20), reducing it to £53.50.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium

I have had a PA2 system for some years now. It's not the cheapest, and the wireless upgrade I bought more recently is quite expensive. But it works simply and easily, and when the odd problem has cropped up (my fault on two out of three occasions), then Gaugemaster have been quick and helpful in reparing and returning it in just a few days.

When I first bought it I was advised several times that other makes would have been better. Over time I have come to find that in retrospect I made the right choice when I hear of the issues that arise with other makes at times. And all the handsets can be used with whatever base station you may have, a kind of mix and match situation. I particularly like the dual choice of rotary encoder or push button speed control, that you can just switch continuously between the two, and that if controlling more than one loco on a handset, then switching between them automatically brings up the correct speed and other aspects. Some makes/controllers/handsets don't do this, a fact I was unaware of for quite some time.

I would endorse the view that if possible you should handle a system before choosing it though. Why? Well I visited a dealer originally to purchase a Lenz system, that was what all the specs and information I had gathered told me was best. However, as soon as I handled a Lenz handset - both the 90 &100 - and then the Prodigy it became clear which I preferred. I think it's very much a case of each to his/her own.

Hope this might help a bit!

Izzy

Thanks for your advice Izzy, much appreciated, as is all the advice given so far...

I do think the current price the PA can be got for online is leaning me towards it now, as it seems to have all the functions and more than I may even need, and more than the NCE, plus more output power, so is 'future proof' for me I think.

I do like the idea of a rotary speed control and the recall facility, easy of use, backlit display etc.

I would like to try one out but have no supplies near me and would not want to go to one just to use them for a demo and not ultimately buy from them, i also don't want to

miss out on the online offer, so think I may just take the plunge!!

Cheers

If not suppliers near you, how about shows? Maybe someone on here lives be close to you & would let you loose on their home layout?

At shows, many layout owners would be more than pleased to assist you driving their trains on their layout so you can get a feel for their system.

I think most of us on here would prefer you to start with a system you are happy with.

• RMweb Gold

I would wait until Doncaster.

Have a chat to Jeremy on the Digitrains stand, if you give them a call first and ask them to take the controllers you are interested in, you will get chance to demo them all on the test layout they take to the show.

You will be under no pressure and in the afternoon at a show when it gets quiet they will like the chance to chat and show off the controllers.

It really is the only way to know for sure what YOU like, nobody will be able to tell you that.

I've got the NCE Powercab had it for years, I think 2004.

I also have, Hornby Select, Horny Elite,(also Railmaster PC control)  Bachmann EZ-Command, MRC explorer (MRC make the PA stuff and Gaugemaster rebadge it) I also have the Gaugemaster wireless conversion set which plugs into the MRC explorer and finally a ZTC 611.

They all have good points and bad, so I would wait just a short time now and go to Doncaster and try a load of them.

If going to Digitrains stand, could be an idea to get there in the afternoon when its a bit quieter and you can take your time having a play, if you have locos with sound functions, really go to town on operating ALL 28 functions to see how easy/hard it is to access functions, the Hornby Elite function operation is IMHO a nightmare and not quick or easy to do.

Above all have fun.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

Thanks for the advice.

Been reading as I'm looking to start with DCC as soon as possible.  I think I already have a DC controller so can switch if I need to but the more DCC things I have, the better.  Just expensive converting 15+ locos!  But then should be fairly quick after I get the first few under my belt.

I was looking at the NCE cab as it seemed to be the most popular but now I'm not so sure.  The fact it's built for the UK seems nicer, and if it means I can add sound, lights, points in the future without having to change anything - I might just save a little longer and get the PA2 instead.

My only concern is both seem to be over 10 years old :/  Also struggling to find it at £209.50?  Website please :P

How many locos (no sound, points or anything else) could you run with the NCE out of the box?

Thanks

Edited by anotheruser

Thanks for the advice.

Been reading as I'm looking to start with DCC as soon as possible.  I think I already have a DC controller so can switch if I need to but the more DCC things I have, the better.  Just expensive converting 15+ locos!  But then should be fairly quick after I get the first few under my belt.

I was looking at the NCE cab as it seemed to be the most popular but now I'm not so sure.  The fact it's built for the UK seems nicer, and if it means I can add sound, lights, points in the future without having to change anything - I might just save a little longer and get the PA2 instead.

My only concern is both seem to be over 10 years old :/  Also struggling to find it at £209.50?  Website please :P

How many locos (no sound, points or anything else) could you run with the NCE out of the box?

Thanks

https://railsofsheffield.com/prodigy-advance-package-dcc02-gaugemaster-JJJA6175.aspx

John

• Like 1

It may be worth considering the size of your layout.

Probably 5-6 light running or 1 double-headed on full power.

You would need a big end-to-end layout to cope with a heavy train on maximum acceleration so depending on your layout, it may not be possible to run anything on anywhere near full power.

A circular double track main line with a yard would be different. You could run multiple long trains on this which would draw a reasonable amount of current. I had 5 running at the same time on my home layout recently.

The PowerCab has a built-in ammeter. I usually drew less current than I thought I would be doing. I doubt this feature works when you add an external booster. It is certainly missing from the PowerPro.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 1

It may be worth considering the size of your layout.

Probably 5-6 light running or 1 double-headed on full power.

You would need a big end-to-end layout to cope with a heavy train on maximum acceleration so depending on your layout, it may not be possible to run anything on anywhere near full power.

A circular double track main line with a yard would be different. You could run multiple long trains on this which would draw a reasonable amount of current. I had 5 running at the same time on my home layout recently.

The PowerCab has a built-in ammeter. I usually drew less current than I thought I would be doing. I doubt this feature works when you add an external booster. It is certainly missing from the PowerPro.

The PowerCab ammeter is very useful.  I have sound and carriage lighting and with 5 or so locos on the track and one running I rarely exceed 350 mA.

I think the PowerCab is an excellent piece of kit for the price.  The downside is if it needs repair then it has to go back to the US and it may take some time for it to return.  Not to mention possible problems with customs.