BR Standard Class 3MT 2-6-2T 82xxx series

Swiftsilver

​As there are no kits of the BR Standard Class 3MT 2-6-2T tank locomotive in '0' gauge, I am going to have a go at scratch building one.

​I am gradually acquiring suitable parts but have hit a problem.

​I cannot find any manufacturer who produces a suitable chimney and dome!

​Does anybody have any suggestions?

​I have tried all the advertisers on the G0G website to no avail, and I do not have the machinery/tools to make these items.

​Thanks

Brian L.

Actually there is a kit for an 82xxx - from Sanspariel:  I can't comment on the quality as I haven't built any of their kits but their E-mail address is: sanspareilics@aol.com according to the G0G traders list. IIRC Jim Harris (Acorn kits) also used to do one and maybe DJB too - they may come up on the 2nd hand market. If you choose to scratchbuild Acme (and maybe someone else too?) do a 77xxx and most of the parts including the boiler fittings are common to the 82xxx. Personally, I'm going to wait and treat myself to a Lionheart one.

Ray.

Thanks for the 'heads up' to you all. I have followed up the leads so far without success, though not the Lionheart suggestion as I suspect that will be way beyond my pocket!

Any other ideas or suggestions, please?

Brian L.

This is one of those locos I never bought when stockpiling kits! I looked up the Lionheart model and it's listed on line by Antics at £999.

Too much for my pocket presently I am afraid!

Paul R

This is one of those locos I never bought when stockpiling kits! I looked up the Lionheart model and it's listed on line by Antics at £999.

Too much for my pocket presently I am afraid!

Paul R

I think you will find that the Jim Harris kit is now part of the Scorpio range, ping over an email to Jeff Ennis (address on the Gauge 0 Guild site) and he will help you, johng

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I was out of the country and therefore could not bid for this kit, but thank you for the 'heads up.'

​Does anybody else have a BR Standard 3MT tank locomotive kit by Acorn/Jim Harris, hidden away in a drawer or up on a shelf, unassembled or part assembled, that they would be willing to part with for a fair sum?

Brian L

Unfortunately I was out of the country and therefore could not bid for this kit, 

I don't follow this. You can access eBay.co.uk around the world. I used to buy stuff when I was working in every corner of the planet and it would be like Christmas when I got home!

Dave

​My (business) circumstances whilst I was abroad were such that I was not able to use my mobile, laptop or anything else.

​I am well aware of what I can and cannot do with my mobile and have bid on eBay via it in the past.

​Follow now?

Brian L.

I don't follow this. You can access eBay.co.uk around the world. I used to buy stuff when I was working in every corner of the planet and it would be like Christmas when I got home!

Dave

I'm the same!! My good lady always comments on my face when I find little parcels when I get home!!!

I have friends in the military though, and they have very limited access, even for text messages!

Regards, Deano.

​My (business) circumstances whilst I was abroad were such that I was not able to use my mobile, laptop or anything else.

​I am well aware of what I can and cannot do with my mobile and have bid on eBay via it in the past.

​Follow now?

Brian L.

Absolutely. It was the 'therefore' in your original post which confused me.

Dave

• 6 months later...

I am now happily building an original Acorn kit of the BR Standard 3MT 2-6-2T from the 82xxx number series.

​Does anybody have a photograph or drawing of the plumbing on top of the firebox and boiler, especially the manifold, that they could copy to me? Available photographs on Colour Rail and similar sites do not show this area at all.

​Thank you.

​Brian L.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure there are photos of the firebox top in the RCTS 'B.R. Standard Steam Locomotives Vol 3 The Tank Locos.' Sorry but I'm not at home so can't check my own copy. FWIW the RCTS currently has it reduced to 14 quid - well worth it even at full price for the information it contains.

Ray.

I am now happily building an original Acorn kit of the BR Standard 3MT 2-6-2T from the 82xxx number series.

​Does anybody have a photograph or drawing of the plumbing on top of the firebox and boiler, especially the manifold, that they could copy to me? Available photographs on Colour Rail and similar sites do not show this area at all.

​Thank you.

​Brian L.

Do a build thread mister? Eh, willya? Do a build thread please?

• RMweb Gold

According to Richard the 45xx will now be die cast instead of brass bringing the cost down to around £500. I suspect the 3MT will follow suit.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, do I gather Dapol/Lionheartbare doing a 3MT, or with the changes that took place this year has it been dropped? Don’t recall seeing anything about that, but it would be nice!

Good luck with the kit. I’m still trying to find the time/courage to get back to soldering on my first brass NER electric kit. Full of admiration for kit builders!

Rich

I am the proud owner of the Scorpio kit as a Christmas present! However I think the chimney in the kit is too short. Need some more research on this

Paul R

If it helps any I have a scale 7mm GA drawing of the loco and measuring the chimney at the side it is 16mm from top to bottom. I am assuming my plan was accurate in the first place. Having compared it with numerous photos, particularly on Colour Rail, it looks right to me. Irf you are in doubt I suggest you contact Pat At Scorpio Models by phone. You will find him very helpful.

Brian L.