The Marlborough Branch

Alcanman

The newly weathered boxcar has arrived at Mass Container

post-7898-0-55383200-1517928654_thumb.jpg

And.... in other news, a lack of GP40-2s sees Framingham Yard switcher MP15AC #1173 arrived at Marlborough switching CSX local B724.

post-7898-0-73976600-1517928873_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 5

If you don't mind me asking, what's your weathering technique? I really like the results.

I'm continuing to experiment with AK Interactive washes. They are mainly used by military modellers but they have this set for railroad modellers.

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/trains-locomotive-wagon-weathering-set-ak-interactive-ak-7000.html

I also use Humbrol acylric no 29 Dark Brown in a rattle can for the trucks and lower part of the bodysides. Finish off with an overall coat of Humbrol acylic matt varnish 

• Like 1

Normal service has returned to Marlborough today as CSXT GP40-2 #6351 switches Marlborough.

post-7898-0-29924600-1518013187_thumb.jpg

The sun is now shining as the newly weathered box car is spotted at Mass Container.

post-7898-0-43188100-1518013317_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Just been enjoying 'Part 3' on YouTube :yes:

With my Truck Driver's head on, the trailer poking out of the factory halfway along the layout just looks a bit odd to me. Being a box, with rear doors, it's the wrong way round for loading, but that's just me being picky, sorry!!

:blush:

• Like 1

I copied the idea from a pic of Roger Nicholls superb 'Union Avenue' layout. On looking at the pic again, Roger has one truck with the cab forward and one truck with the box forward.

Looks like the driver has taken your advice.

post-7898-0-11630500-1518462436_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Today I finally got round to weathering a covered hopper that I've owned for years. As it was a rather expensive

Athearn Genesis model, I didn't want to mess up.

Quite pleased with the result.

post-7898-0-18182400-1518879610_thumb.jpg

... and the Guilford geep got a lttle extra weathering too.

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 6

I've now discovered that my CSX GE B23-7, which I've owned for over six months, also has Drive Hold :banghead: .

I do wish Atlas would update their website and instruction manuals. They still show manual notching on F9. 

However, I'm delighted to now have 2 locos with this feature. Although the GE Dash 7 has a turbo charged prime mover, there is none of 'turbo whine' you get with an EMD.

Here is a new video giving the engineer a chance to notch up the throttle of CSX GE B23-7 #3143!

• Like 6

Mal, you have done a really great job with your Marlborough Branch layout. I like the second version of your layout without the runaround track. Keep up the good work! I wish the paper magazines here in America would feature more small layouts like yours.

Wendell

Idaho, USA

Edited by Wendell1976
  • Like 1

I know the plan you're talking about and many more like it. I think the "positive reaction" you see is based on a general lack of knowledge about how real railroads are operated and built with the least amount of track necessary, and the worn out thinking that "operation" means you have to have more track and switches or it's boring; rather than duplicating actual operations. How many times have you seen people post something like "you'll be sorry if you don't put a runaround siding/loop on your plan" even if what you're modeling wouldn't have any need for it. Stick to your guns!

LNRR, as an American, I cannot agree with you more. The mainstream paper magazines here in The States show a lot of track plans with too many turnouts in it. Most Americans will support a Timesaver layout but they will frown when they see a Inglenook layout. Building trains on a Inglenook layout is prototypical! I had just talked to a professional railroader today about switching a yard. He told me that the railroad builds a train with cars in chronological order of delivery. Americans need to look at the prototype in building their layouts instead of building a "puzzle" layout.

Wendell

Idaho, USA

• Like 2

Thanks Wendell for your kind and encouraging comments.

Pan Am Railways still rosters a few old (ex N&W) high hood EMD GP40s which retain the former Guilford paint scheme. 

post-7898-0-42344300-1519467740_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-23900500-1519467785_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-79368800-1519467885_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

LNRR, as an American, I cannot agree with you more. The mainstream paper magazines here in The States show a lot of track plans with too many turnouts in it. Most Americans will support a Timesaver layout but they will frown when they see a Inglenook layout. Building trains on a Inglenook layout is prototypical! I had just talked to a professional railroader today about switching a yard. He told me that the railroad builds a train with cars in chronological order of delivery. Americans need to look at the prototype in building their layouts instead of building a "puzzle" layout.

Wendell

Idaho, USA

Wendell,

It's a real shame that such great small "achievable" (and realistic) layout's like this one aren't featured more often in the magazines. I guess we all start out thinking that we must have a very large layout, but few of us will ever build one. I've been modeling since I was a teenager (more years ago than I care to remember) and although I started several large layouts, none of them ever got past getting some track laid and operating, before I gave up on them.

Since I retired in 2009, I've gotten more enjoyment out of messing around with my 18 in X 20 ft "switching layout" then I ever did with some of the never completed "dream layouts". I think Mal should submit his layout to a couple of the magazines and see if we can get more people interested in a small layout that can actually be completed and most of all - is prototypical. Would love to see more small layout plans then the constant articles about layouts that fill a basement and took 10 people to build and that many to operate it.

Ed, Kentucky

Edited by LNRR
  • Like 3

Wendell,

It's a real shame that such great small "achievable" (and realistic) layout's like this one aren't featured more often in the magazines. I guess we all start out thinking that we must have a very large layout, but few of us will ever build one. I've been modeling since I was a teenager (more years ago than I care to remember) and although I started several large layouts, none of them ever got past getting some track laid and operating, before I gave up on them.

Since I retired in 2009, I've gotten more enjoyment out of messing around with my 18 in X 20 ft "switching layout" then I ever did with some of the never completed "dream layouts". I think Mal should submit his layout to a couple of the magazines and see if we can get more people interested in a small layout that can actually be completed and most of all - is prototypical. Would love to see more small layout plans then the constant articles about layouts that fill a basement and took 10 people to build and that many to operate it.

Ed, Kentucky

Amen, Ed! I really think Mal should ask Model Railroader to feature his layout in their magazine. If that doesn't work, then definitely Model Railroad Hobbyist will absolutely be interested. Not only building a large basement-filled layout takes a lot of time, but it takes a lot of money to build. Add in the cost for all the turnouts/switches that are being used on that layout and most people cannot afford to build a layout that vast.

Wendell

Idaho, USA

• Like 1

Amen, Ed! I really think Mal should ask Model Railroader to feature his layout in their magazine. If that doesn't work, then definitely Model Railroad Hobbyist will absolutely be interested. Not only building a large basement-filled layout takes a lot of time, but it takes a lot of money to build. Add in the cost for all the turnouts/switches that are being used on that layout and most people cannot afford to build a layout that vast.

Wendell

Idaho, USA

^^THIS^^

Mal, you should also talk to this guy...

http://themodelrailwayshow.com/LayoutDesign/

• Like 1

Wendell

Idaho, USA

Wendell, I'd bet good money that Model Railroad Hobbyist would be happy to have an article about Mal's layout. Track plan, theme, construction, how it's operated, and of course a couple of his videos. Mal's layout's are every bit as good as what Lance M has done with his small layouts and there are plenty of people out here in model railroad land that could use the inspiration that featuring small layouts would give.

Ed, Kentucky

• Like 1