Time to throw my hat into the ring.

Layout name, Maiden Lane

Concept, Small City Terminus with Loco Depot, Goods Yard and access to the Docks

Company represented, Great Northern Railway, Ireland

Standards, S scale

Size, The design currently occupies a space of 13' x 4'.  It has been placed on a diet.

The concept is based around Foyle Road station of the GNRI, but compressed to fit across a 9' x 9' room.  For transport it needs to fit in the car, but leave space for Wife, Daughter and an overnight bag.

I put my entry in a couple of weeks ago, but the basic idea has been occupying my mind for at least the last 18 months, whilst the desire to recreate the GNRI has been hanging around for at least 6 years.  I have made several attempts to model a locomotive, first in 4mm, then 2mm, (there is an abandoned thread on here in that section) and now S.  This has been the most successful.  I'll post details in the near future.

Hopefully, this competition will keep me focused long enough to achieve a working model railway.  Not had one of my own for 30 years.

Paul 4475

• Like 10

Morning,

First, Thank you to Captain Kernow and Indomitable026 for the likes.

Second, here is the initial plan from I started with last November.

post-20275-0-23433800-1494738953_thumb.jpg

This is the small scale mock up of Maiden Lane.

post-20275-0-85390600-1494739095_thumb.jpg

This came out rather well. However, the need to keep the spare bedroom available for it's primary use, mean't that I struggled to find a suitable storage location. I also discovered that it wouldn't fit in the car.

The plan was sidelined, but not filed away.

The rethink began, after reading Mr Rice's latest literary creation and the fact that my Daughter took the mock up to school for her Show and Tell session. So diet has begun.

Paul 4475

• Like 11

the fact that my Daughter took the mock up to school for her Show and Tell session.

As in "look, my daddy really is a geek"  :)

Glad none of mine ever took my stuff in!

...R

As in "look, my daddy really is a geek"  :)

Glad none of mine ever took my stuff in!

...R

Robin,

I was very concerned when the idea of it featuring in Show and Tell was raised, but It was unfounded.

Ironically, the reaction has been very positive. Perhaps it's the novelty of seeing something hand made. Though, the rest of class expects to have regular updates!

I think that mock-up vindicates the merits of making something like that very well and gives a very good idea of what the finished layout might look like.

You are quite correct. The mock up was the result of a wet Sunday afternoon and a small glass of home made wine.

Now I'm considering a full size version. I can to figure where to store it around the house and also to see if it definitely fits in the car.

Wish me luck!

Paul 4475

• Like 1

I certainly wish you the very best of luck Paul; the world needs more GNRI modelling!

There were three stations in the north-west of Ireland which were broadly similar, in terms of their layout for handling passenger traffic:

Derry/Londonderry Victoria Road. This was the terminus for the County Donegal narrow gauge railway. it was directly across the Foyle river from the GNRI station.

Letterkenny, County Donegal. Narrow gauge terminus, with the Londonderry and Lough Swilly narrow gauge station along side it.

All three, including the GNRI Foyle Road station featured an island platform, with a canopy covering part of it.

Given space constraints, it might just be worth having a look at Victoria Road. It was a sort of miniaturised version of Foyle Road, with a siding connecting into the dock railway.

I have modelled Pettigo on the Bundoran branch and intended also modelling the terminus at Bundoran but now I'm thinking of an imaginary terminus in Sligo, with a layout based on the above three examples.

Regards,

Glover

• RMweb Gold

The mock up was the result of a wet Sunday afternoon and a small glass of home made wine.

Now I'm considering a full size version. I can to figure where to store it around the house and also to see if it definitely fits in the car.

Wish me luck!

Best of luck indeed!

Does the full size version require a rather larger amount of wine to be consumed?

Does the full size version require a rather larger amount of wine to be consumed?

I took the 'full sized version' to be referring to the size of the wine glass.  :diablo_mini:

If Paul's home made wine is anything like mine used to be, a small glass goes a looooong way....

Thank you all the comments.

Glover, I have details of Victoria Road as well as Foyle Road. I discarded the Craigavon bridge as I thought it would complicate the scene. Also, I've been messing around with the topography to justify the underbridge, seen on the mock up. I was pondering making one of the

sidings next to the station, dual gauge. It would tie the theme together better.

As for the Full size comments, I've just randomly calculated how large the enlarged wine glass would be. The mock up is 1/8th full size. So to construct Maiden Lane, I need a wine glass that is 4 feet tall and 16 inch in diameter. Sounds good to me. I wonder if John Lewis have any!!

By the way, I don't make the wine, but I'm grateful for the donations I receive from my In-laws.

Off to print point templates, tear up a large cardboard box. Don't forget the wine.

Paul 4475

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

When doing wine-making talks each week, I always ask if any of the audience have made wine at home. It seems to be a vanishing hobby, probably due to wine only costing, in real terms, about 25% of what it did in the 1960s.

But back on topic, I really like the look of this project. Interesting to see if you can reduce it much more and still keep all its features.

When doing wine-making talks each week, I always ask if any of the audience have made wine at home. It seems to be a vanishing hobby, probably due to wine only costing, in real terms, about 25% of what it did in the 1960s.

But back on topic, I really like the look of this project. Interesting to see if you can reduce it much more and still keep all its features.

My parents used to make wine and I used to help. It is true, that courtesy of the Supermarkets, the price is lower now. I stick to what my In-laws make though, due to an allergy to sulphites.

As for Maiden Lane and that diet I mentioned. The actual scene is now 9' 3" from 10' 0". There is potential to get down to 9' 0", but that would be it. The widest part is 2' 6", and I suspect it will stay that way, otherwise, the Goods Yard would loose a siding. Add on the Fiddle Yard, and remembering that I have set everything on a curve, the overall footprint is 12' 7" x 4' 0". I know from reading the book that Mr Rice prefers his Cameo's without joints in the scenic area, but he also refers to Frecclesham as a 14' 0" long cameo in 0 gauge, (page 65). In S scale that would be 9' 6". That'll do for me.

As for progress, the next stage is to draw up the boards full size onto scrap corrogated cardboard to double check space in the back of the car and also in the spare bedroom. Still find a storage spot as well, the garage is the last resort.

Paul 4475

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This looks rather good, I must say.

In particular the multiple bridges on the approach should look really good.

Great project.

Rob

Thanks Rob,

The bridges are deliberate. I like to see locomotives sat on a bridge. Must be an influence of living where I do.

After the diet exercise, the bridges will need adjusting, but they'll be there.

I've been researching the Foyle Road area. I now know that the big flat block behind the Signal box can be the now demolished Hamilton Shirt factory and I found a photo of the inside of the train shed with a Q class 4-4-0, sat at the blocks.

Next job is to try out the plan at full size. I've created a 2" to the Foot plan to scale up on a double width sheet of lining paper. This is marked with 1 foot squares and is ten foot long. The point templates are printed and I know the footprint of the Signalbox, platform, turntable and Loco shed. I'll try it altogether on Friday morning. There may be photos?

Paul 4475

p.s. Hello to Barry O

• Like 2

It did occur to me to mention the large shirt factory Paul but I see that you have done your research.

Derry was famous for shirt making. If you enter those words into Google, you'll get many references and photos, which may be useful.

The back scene could also pick up on various key reference points including the spire of St Columb's Cathedral .

Regards,

Glover

Glover,

Thanks for the information. I had just Googled Derry, but I'll have a look under Shirt making, too.

I've been busy examining photos around the Foyle Road area for inspiration. It is all having an influence on the way the layout will look.

Paul 4475

Evening all,

I've been messing about with the lining paper and point templates. The first baseboard has been marked out, as has parts of the track plan. So far everything fits.

post-20275-0-10353600-1495312885_thumb.jpg

The first picture shows the the early stages of drawing out the plan. I'm fortunate to have a large dining table.

post-20275-0-46921100-1495312978_thumb.jpg

The second picture shows the 1/6th scale plan with board joins. The point templates in position at the top and the CAD diagram of the front of the loco shed. The latter is based on Enniskillen shed.

More details to follow

Paul 4475

• Like 5

Paul,

Did you know that Enniskillen loco shed was built on a curve and was itself curved?

It might actually suit your plan although I'll leave it to you to figure out how to build a curved roof!

Cheers,

Glover

Thank you to everyone for the likes and thank you to Glover for his information.

I was aware of the curved shed building at Enniskillen. I have thought it might be better than a straight shed. In fact it would add interest to the scene and allow some additional scenic work in front of the loco yard. As for making a curved roof. The way to proceed would be to construct the roof like the prototype. I can feel a plan developing. I've also noticed that the shed at Enniskillen must be a later build than the one at Foyle Road. The stonework at Enniskillen is more regular in appearance and the doorway arches are built out of brick. Foyle Road shed is all stone and apart from the arches and some lintels appears to have been much rougher in appearance.

I've spent the weekend research the local history of the station and turned up some curious facts. When the line opened the station was much further back, in fact closer to the loco shed. (Have a look on an old map). The line was then extended to terminate at the location of the Wooden bridge across the river. This was then replaced by the Carlisle bridge, (Craigavon bridge), which cut across the south end of the platform. Following the advice of checking out the shirt making industry, I discovered one photo that shows two Coasters tied up alongside the station. This is after the Carlisle bridge was opened. It all adds to the mix.

Finally, I managed to complete the outline of the second board this morning. I even managed to draw in the running lines and pointwork. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll manage to fit in the turntable, loco shed and Goods yard. Only two years left!

Paul 4475

Hello Paul, that plan looks very good its amazing how modelling the Emerald Isle has really taken off. I shall be watching with interest and trying too get Bantry wired up for running at Sleaford and build some cassettes for the fiddle yard and ,and ,and!!!!

Mick 84C

Hello Mike,

Good to hear from you. Thank you for the comments. Just the small task of making it a realty.

I've seen some bits and pieces on Bantry. Who'd thought that Irish railways would be so popular in Lincolnshire.

I'm hoping to get over to the Sleaford show, family permitting. Perhaps we'll have time for a chat.

Paul 4475

Good afternoon,

This week, whilst making the most of the sunshine by working outside in the garden. By 10.30, the sun is too strong, so I end up retreating indoors. This has allowed me to upscale the 1/6th scale diagram to full (model) size.

post-20275-0-75593800-1495807038_thumb.jpg

The view is from the Fiddle Yard looking towards the station. Goods Shed on the left and loco depot on the right.

post-20275-0-65908200-1495807159_thumb.jpg

The second view is looking from the Train shed roof back to the yards. There is a section of mixed gauge track on the left.

The actual cameo scene is 9' 3" long. The widest point is 2' 6". Initially, I thought this was rather large, but in 4mm scale that is 7' 9" x 2' 0". So it isn't actually that big.

I've not plotted the Fiddle Yard. The original design for use at home featured a kick back sector plate and train table behind the layout. Now I'm thinking about cassettes.

You may notice certain alterations from the small scale mock up and the 1/6th plan. Nothing significant, but it adds to the operational side of things and partly replicates another Foyle Road feature.

Paul 4475

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well I maintained radio silence for a week or so. Joys of work and jobs at home. Not been completely slack as I have been working on a design for the support structure. After pondering professional folding saw horse stands, I started doodling. I have come up with a three legged version that folds up into a rectangular cube 2 feet long, by 7.5 inch wide, by 4.5 inch deep. I'll knock up a decent sketch and post it on here once I've worked out the details. Also been working on the design of the buildings. Does anyone have a drawing for a 45 foot diameter turntable?

Paul 4475

As promised here is the drawing of the 3 legged saw horse. It's not my idea, I spotted an image on the Internet and thought useful.

post-20275-0-21158200-1496640025_thumb.jpg

As stated in the previous post, I've worked out my dimensions. The frame at the top is 2 feet long. The legs are jointed to allow them to fold up and will be locked by captive bolts. The single leg on the left folds up into the gap in the frame, whilst the pair of legs close up to sit on the outside of the frame. I intend adding some webbing straps to secure everything for transport. They can double up for carrying handles too. The height from the floor to the top of the frame is intended to be 42 inch. I'm aiming for a track height of around 4 feet. The support beams will be notched at certain positions to allow them to lock around the frame with no fixings. Time to make some Sawdust.

Paul 4475

• 1 month later...

Afternoon,

Just realised it's a month since I posted anything. The lady of the house has been keeping me busy, building and painting cabinets for a kitchen! Work hasn't helped either. So no construction to report of, but a few segments of research, instead.

I've figured out that I need a minimum of eight coaches, plus three or four mail coaches. The Golden Years of the Great Northen Railway, Ireland volumes give details of locomotives and the regular coaching stock used on services to Belfast and Dundalk. The details relate to the 1920's and 30's, but when you examine photographs you realise that most of the stock was still in service when the line through Enniskillen was closed in 1957. I'm intending having a variety of vehicles available which will allow me to represent the Express services with a Tea Car to Belfast and the secondary services to Strabane, Omagh, Enniskillen and Dundalk.

Goods traffic is largely in vans of various styles and weights. There is an element of coal traffic, presumably from the ships on the river and tanker wagons for oil. The other big customer is cattle. Many books refer to the Shipper from Enniskillen to Belfast, but there was traffic north to Londonderry/Derry as well. Going to need some Cattle wagons. Constructing this lot will be entertaining. I think I might take a leaf out of David Holman's book and batch build the wagons and coach bogies in resin.

Anyway, still planning to commence construction in August. I've roped my daughter in to helping, after all she's told a school colleagues about Daddies train set. Bless her!

Paul 4475

Good to hear that your project is still alive Paul.

Two observations : Worsley Works do a very comprensive range of GNR coaches, as "scratch aids' . That is, sides, ends and basic chassis only. They offer them in a range of scales but unfortunately not S. However, Allan Doherty appears to be an obliging sort, so it may be worth having a look at his site and making contact.

You should also remember that railcars (never DMUs in Ireland!) were used extensively on the line from the late 1950s until closure in 1965.

Secondly, do you have the book " Farewell the Derry Road"? Written by Eric Challoner and published by Colourpoint in 2010, it's pretty much the definative work on the GNR line to Derry.

I'm fairly certain I saw a copy of it in Foyle Books shop (Derry) a couple of weeks ago.

Regards,

Glover