A couple of Scalescenes texture paper models

I use Pritt-stick type glues to stick whole sheets to card, and spray both sides of my HP 'Home and Office' paper very lightly with the £3.50p clothing water proofer spray from Lidl before I start to build. It adds wet strength to the paper when doing 'wraps' etc.

If I use cornflake packet card I stick the papers to the dull side as the shiny side resists warping.

I also burnish joints and corners with the shiny handle of my knife to give a sharp corner edge and I am very careful to ensure that all right-angle edges are truly square and sharp.

A skew tunnel

post-106-126988099147_thumb.jpg

The Ringwell Alarm Clock Co. Ltd Factory

post-106-12698810596_thumb.jpg

Brilliant stuff Doug!! Love your attention to detail, I have incorporated many of your techniques into my modelling! It really does highlight what can be achieved with card, certainly giving the accepted embossed plastic sheet devotees a run for their money (but I suppose I'm just a little bit biased :D )

FYI several of the very nice etched window packs that Brassmasters have produced for my kits (N and OO) contain circular and 'S' wall ties.

There are more images of Doug's amazing scratchbuilding in my Gallery section.

Realy nice modelling :icon_clap:

I will have to look out for and give the Lidi waterproof spray a try,I have used artists varnish on some of my buildings,found the smell to last a while even after it was used outside.

The last one i have just built,for my next layout is a pub from the small corner shops kit,i have treated with a couple of coats of pledge floor wax,mixed with tamiya flat base to make it a matt finish,it appears to be waterpoof at least for handling purposes.I have put a sample in window to see if sunlight will fade it.Although my next layout will also have to fold away so fading shouldn't be a issue.

NOTE this was used on photo quality Matt ink jet paper of 190gsm ,plain papers may cause ink to run,Please test on a piece of scrap before use.

One of the nice chaps on here posted a link for information on the use of Future .Future

Regards

Terry

Now this is nice. I like card kits anyway, but this is something else - it's unique.

I love the little touches - pipes out of wall into ground, so simple, yet so effective.

I too spotted the press studs - got to love that.:D

Sorry to be so late in coming back, no disrespect meant at all. Yup. Those are press studs, stolen from SWMBO's sewing box. I make it a point never to buy anything unless I have to do so ever since Evergreen 'I' section girders became £1 each....

The 'chimneys' are drinking straws from the little packets of orange juice, the vent fan [yet to be weathered] is the top of a biro and the roof of the lift machinery room is dishwasher tablet cardboard box with the interior brown paper soaked off.

Also a close-up of the factory to show the press stud. The pipes are sprue, all weathered on Scalescene red and blue brick with watercolours. You can make the flat 'flange' on the sprue by pressing the end onto a knife blade heated on the gas stove, rather than use long unrealistic runs of sprue for imitating pipes, cut them, apply the flanging treatment and glue them together again.

post-106-127056820487_thumb.jpg

post-106-127056816845_thumb.jpg

post-106-127056831713_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Doug, thats amazing. I want to write a nice long message about how great it looks, but I dont have the words... I just cant tell its a model..... at all....

Archived