Would shunters have steam heating pipes.

• RMweb Gold

Never seen an industrial with a steam heat pipe ! But never say never

And dont forget that locos had a steam heat pipe for two reasons...

The obvious one because they had a steam heat boiler themselves - the other was just a through pipe, common on main line locos without a boiler but fitted in case they were required to double head and be coupled inside - between pilot loco and train - to allow heat to flow

Kind regards

Phil

Further to earlier answers I think it may also depend upon the context.  Like they say locos that worked passenger as well as pilot duties would have steam pipes on them.  Some steam pilots had cwa pipes for pre-heating passenger trains in sidings and stations prior to the train engine taking over, the other advantage to having cwa pipes is that during snow a lance attachment can be used to clear points, rodding, pulleys etc. during bad weather, another useful job for a station pilot.

• RMweb Premium

There is a photograph of a Port of London Authority Hudswell Clarke (1598/1927) in "Industrial Locomotives & Railways of London & The Northern Home Counties" by Gordon Edgar on page 85, which has what looks very much like a steam heat pipe (but no brake pipe) on the bufferbeam. My guess would be that it would be for steam heating Banana vans.

• RMweb Gold

There is a photograph of a Port of London Authority Hudswell Clarke (1598/1927) in "Industrial Locomotives & Railways of London & The Northern Home Counties" by Gordon Edgar on page 85, which has what looks very much like a steam heat pipe (but no brake pipe) on the bufferbeam. My guess would be that it would be for steam heating Banana vans.

Now that would certainly be legit! Positioned to L or R of coupling as you look head on? that would be give away

Easy with steam of course - but what happened when banana ports - Barry, Avonmouth in particular - were dieselised?

Phil

... the other advantage to having cwa pipes is that during snow a lance attachment can be used to clear points, rodding, pulleys etc. during bad weather, another useful job for a station pilot.

Topically, given the weather, there's a wonderful sequence in the glorious British Transport Film Snow in which a steam lance attached to a freight loco is used to help de-ice a stuck loco and wagons.

Paul 

I believe that classes 15 and 16 were through piped for steam. Whether a train heating unit was ever coupled to one of these on station pilot duties is anyone's guess. I think it was more to do with the usual requirement for non-boiler fitted loco's coupled inside to carry heat from a leading boiler fitted loco when double heading as mentioned in a post above.

• RMweb Gold

Just thought, I was assuming the OP meant Diesel Sentinel. But I doubt a steam Sentinel would have a lot of spare capacity for steam heating anyway, even if fitted with steam pipes. Mention of electical 'pipes' does suggest diesel though.

Edited by Coppercap

• RMweb Premium

Never seen an industrial with a steam heat pipe ! But never say never

And dont forget that locos had a steam heat pipe for two reasons...

The obvious one because they had a steam heat boiler themselves - the other was just a through pipe, common on main line locos without a boiler but fitted in case they were required to double head and be coupled inside - between pilot loco and train - to allow heat to flow

Kind regards

Phil

Several Mersey Docks locos had steam heating fitted for banana trains.

Just thought, I was assuming the OP meant Diesel Sentinel. But I doubt a steam Sentinel would have a lot of spare capacity for steam heating anyway, even if fitted with steam pipes. Mention of electical 'pipes' does suggest diesel though.

Yes I was talking about the diesel sentinel.