Connect Roco WLAN MUltimaus to Lenz system

tophski

Morning All,

I have an existing Lenz DCC system, using the LZV100, which is operated by both the original red multimaus controllers, and via a computer, using the Lenz 23151 Interface. My desire is to use the new(er) Lenz WLAN multimaus controllers, by attaching a standalone wireless router to the 23151, and then adding the WLAN Multimaus to that network. The manual for the controller offers me little guidance to connect, so I am assuming that acts like the cable on the red version, which connects into the xpressnet sockets

My question is, has anyone tried to connect these systems before, or knows if it is possible before I purchase one of the handsets?

Thanks

Chris

Morning All,

I have an existing Lenz DCC system, using the LZV100, which is operated by both the original red multimaus controllers, and via a computer, using the Lenz 23151 Interface. My desire is to use the new(er) Lenz WLAN multimaus controllers, by attaching a standalone wireless router to the 23151, and then adding the WLAN Multimaus to that network. The manual for the controller offers me little guidance to connect, so I am assuming that acts like the cable on the red version, which connects into the xpressnet sockets

My question is, has anyone tried to connect these systems before, or knows if it is possible before I purchase one of the handsets?

Thanks

Chris

Not sure if this helps Chris but before you purchase any handheld you could try the Z21 mobile app (free). I use a Digikeijs DR5000 as my command station and just discovered that I can use the Z21 app as a handheld controller. I would think that if you can attach your 23151 to your network and would be able to connect to that address from the mobile app

Interesting, are you Andy able to control looks from the app or can you also do accessories?

Ask me in a few days!! There are two versions of the app, one for iPhone and one for iPad. So far I've been using the phone version which seems to have limited capability for accessories such as points. The iPad versions on the other hand appears to be able to comtrol points. I am still researching and found some YouTube videos suggesting you can take a photo of your track from above and overlay point diagrams which are then clickable. Remember however it all ultimalty depends on your command station which is not Roco in my case. Incidentally I believe there are also android versions of the app. The tablet version gives you two panels and I think you can have two throttles or a throttle and a track plan

I'll report back after I have more info. I should also add that in the case of the Digikeijs command station I had to get the latest firmware to support the multimaus protocol via wifi

Norm

Having done some more with the Z21 mobile app I can report that it's quite impressive. Control of locos and accessories is possible. Quite a neat interface. Take an actual photo of your track and overlay points, crossings etc on the photo. Touching the points changes the setting once configured. I'd say it makes a nice handheld controller. Search the App Store for Z21 and you'll find it

Norm

Sorry to sound like I'm pi**ing on your chips guys, but the OP was asking about the possibility of connecting a WiFi MultiMaus to his Lenz system. Not about the Z21.

Cheers

Ron

I know Ron but this was posted in the hope it might be a cheaper alternative

Norm

Tim, does it connect via ip? The red maus says it needs a roco command station but that is not the case and I was hoping that would be the case with the wlan one, specially if the ap works with other command stations. I know the roco z21 can read other manufacturers handsets, but not as the master.

Thanks

Yes, the WiFi Maus connects via ip.

However, whether it will work in your setup? The Maus uses a particular address.

Thinking about it, why not try using the Roco Z21 mobile app. If you can get this to connect, then the Maus should connect. Uses the same range.

I bought a z21 (ex box set), it was cheaper than the Lenz 23151.

I had a look on some German forums and this question has been asked there... "can the WLAN WiFi MultiMaus be used with the Lenz system, connecting via the 23151 USB/LAN interface?".

The simple answer appears to be a definite NO !

However, some clever Dickie has worked out that if an XpressNet interface and client is created, then a way can be made for it to work.

Having had a quick look at the web pages linked to and the Wiki entry (all in German and I don't read German unfortunately), this one is clearly for the technically competent.  

One project involved the use of Arduino Uno, or Arduino Leonardo ETH....and I will confess to being completely lost there.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

As an aside, if using an iPhone or IPad, the TouchCab app can be used with the Lenz system.

There's also a couple of Android apps too. One being RtDrive Lenz.

For using wireless handsets with the Lenz system, the company announced last year that they'll be introducing wireless adapters that allow the regular Lenz handsets to be used wirelessly.

23210 - XpressNet Radio Base Unit

23220 - Radio Handset Receiver Module

Lenz being Lenz, these have yet to see the light of day.

They are currently saying 2018.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• 3 months later...

http://berros.eu/download/4-1/iTrain%204%20manual.pdf

To add my research to the thread, if you are running a computer with the layout, and want to use the WLAN mouse there is a direct connection through the iTrain software.......although not currently sure which versions you can use, and this is not free software.

Chris

But it is very good software (I have to say that as that is what I use :))

I normally just connect direct to my Z21 however when connecting through iTrain the Multimaus performs exactly the same. The reason I leave it connected to the Z21 is that I can operate without having the computer switched on, and if iTrain is running the layout then I can control locos and points that are not under the control of iTrain - though iTrain still knows what I am moving where - giving me the best of both worlds :)

• 3 weeks later...