Tests with my new 3D printer

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share these. I have recently bought a 3D printer and as a test I have printed some small objects to test the resolution. I am more than happy with the results. I'm now planning to increase my range of railway items with a view to selling them, I may also provide a bespoke service but I need to get a handle on the pricing so far as there is more to the cost than the volume of the materials!

These two items are primed directly onto the finished print without any other finishing, I think that they look great and are pretty strong too. There is on the left a runabout from star trek DS9 at 1:350 scale ( the finish on this is superb) and a set of car lifts at 1:148 for my car garage on Burton on Trent. The arms on that are quite fragile but are only about 0.4 to 0.5mm sections. I broke the ramps due to the support structure being a pig to get off so maybe a different orientation next time for those, the posts are a bit liney due to the angle of print too in all fairness but fine for what I want from it.

post-6894-0-55757600-1524854145_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-71573400-1524854181_thumb.jpg

All comments welcome!

• Like 12

It's an Anycubic Photon DLP. Very reasonable price actually at around £450. The resin is pricey and you need loads of IPA and a post curing UV box to fully harden you prints but worth it I think.

The build volume isn't massive (120x68x150) but big enough for most things short of full items of 4mm or 7mm rolling stock. Can just about fit most N gauge stuff in there. I don't think I'd want to print a full N gauge Mk3 coach vertically though!

Straight of the box you need to set the Z=0 but then its resin in and off you go.

• Like 1

Yes, I run mine at 10 secs per layer with 1 second off. It will print down to 10 micron layer thickness but I haven't tried it on less than 50 microns so far. Most people wouldn't suggest less than 25 microns.

Ok you can't print long thin things (over 150mm) but its actually a pretty useful build volume for most things that you would print. Cabs etc, detailing parts such as alternate battery boxes or bogies and of course scenic items. 

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Of which 99.9% of stuff fits in the volume fine. Don't get hung up on printing full length coach bodies in 4mm and 7mm scales. There is so much more that you can print. I can tell you that virtually every shapeways sale that I have ever made would fit in this volume many times over. The quality outweighs all other factors for me.

• Like 1

Ok you can't print long thin things (over 150mm) but its actually a pretty useful build volume for most things that you would print. Cabs etc, detailing parts such as alternate battery boxes or bogies and of course scenic items.

....and as seen in the video, you can fill up the bed space on the x and y axis and the print time will still be the same.

I want one.

• RMweb Gold

Looks an excellent machine, a tad on the slow side, but worth the wait for the quality IMHO.

Mike.

Really useful bit of film. Seems that 3D printing has reached the VHS/Betamax phase of development. This type does look easier to use and some of his demo pieces look very good indeed.

Not sure if its VHS/Betamax as currently the resin v filament kind of meet two different needs. However the resin ones are better with regard to finish and resolution. There are also different grades of resin available to achieve different strength pieces etc. I do think where surface finish doesn't matter the filament type makes far more sense. For detailed models though there is no comparison.

Edited by RBE

Yes I've only done 50 microns on mine so far and they looks great. Flat sufaces show the lines a little (but rub down easily) but orgainic shapes like the angel I printed here is a smooth as anything and shows no lines once painted.

post-6894-0-69581800-1525105777_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-84636800-1525105925_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cav,

That looks a handy piece of kit, seriously tempted. Mentioned it to my wife that it would be useful for any D&T homework the kids have for High School, and that it would not really be used for modelling, honest.

Cheers

Simon

I just said it was too resonably priced to not buy one. It costs a bit to run mind you with the resin and IPA for cleaning but worth it I think. There is a learnjng curve though using new resins and designs to find out the best orientations and settings to get a good print.

• Like 1