oo scale Class 320/321 Questionaire poll

00 Scale Class 320/321 interest poll  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying a class 320/321

• 321/4
    • 321/9
  2. 2. Whom would you want to manufacture this class?

• Hornby
    • RevolutioN
    • Bachmann
    • Dapol
    • Heljan
  3. 3. What class 320 Liveries would you like to see?

• Scotrail Spot Saltire
    • London Midland green/white
    • Strathclyde orange/black
    • Other
  4. 4. What class 321 liveries would you like to see?

• FirstCapitolConnect purple
    • GreaterAnglia white/grey
    • Silverlink purple/green
    • Other
  5. 5. What 321/4 liveries would you like to see?

• Silverlink purple/white
    • Greater Anglia
    • Network South East
    • Other
  6. 6. What quantity would you buy for your preferred locomotive?

• 5+
  7. 7. Would you buy a powered loco and/or an unpowered loco?

• Powered
    • Unpowered
  8. 8. How much would you be willing to pay for a high spec 321/320? (loose)

• £200
    • £250
    • £350
    • £400

Hello Everyone, 

I have created this poll for the express interest of people who would like to see this model happen. There has been debate over the N-gauge model and hints of people wanting a OO scale model. This poll will determine whether there could be potential for these particular models to be made

Edited by Simonsteel

• RMweb Premium

Yes I've gone for a 320 in Spotrail. My supplier of choice is Hornby (assuming they get their QC improved) because I think it will be the least expensive of the options.

I've always fancied  a 314 which is part of 313/314/315/507/508 family , but their time is now past as the real things are getting taken out of service. Years of telling Hornby they should make one came to nought.

Given I'm the first to reply it seems I am unanimous in that! (Mrs Slocombe, Are you being served , Circa 1974)

Edited by Legend

Moved into Modelling Questions as it's irrelevant for it to be in any one manufacturer's section.

Thank you for switching the thread over. I’m sorry to be a pain with the threads, it’s not on purpose, I still have a lot to learn here.

There is capabilities for either manufacturer to make a brilliant model of this. Hopeful if there is a demand for the 321/320, there can be an effort to make similar classes.

Unfortunately, I had a poll for multiple choices but it got locked. It certainly would have ended up being a wish list. If we support this loco, we can then support other classes too!

I'm not voting as I already have a 321 from Bratchell. http://www.bratchellmodels.com/321345.html and given current pricing trends I suspect the price from a major manufacturer would be similar. Almost RTR looks to be an option from them now, plus their original kits at a lower price for those that want to paint/customise themselves.

So it looks like the option is already available.... along with 317, 319, 320, etc! Whilst I do appreciate the detail the big manufacturers can churn out now, don't underestimate the smaller manufacturers for what they're capable of (cavalex pga anyone?!) and I do like supporting 'the little guy'. On that basis if I did vote then it'd probably be RevolutioN, but not sure they'd want to compete with another smaller supplier.

325 parcels unit might be a better bet then; I'm not aware of a model, and there's only 1 livery to set up for. Even so, 2 versions could be available: powered version with working pan, and a cheaper unpowered with fixed down pan as in more recent years they have just been used as hauled stock behind a locomotive (invoke rule 1 and they could appear on many layout locations when hauled, not just the WCML).

• RMweb Premium

You don’t need to participate if you’re not interested. You’re more than welcome to suggest what you may like and a similar poll can be made for said model? :)

It’s called enthusiasm. Well done you for creating a bit of interest

• Like 1

Shame the poll can't cope with multiple answers as I would be up for both NSE and Silverlink in a Class 321/4.

As for the Bratchell option yes we know they are there and make up a nice unit but unless you are prepared to spend a long time adding details they don't come up to modern RTR levels of detail - and why should they, they were launched to enable average modellers to get a very nice, pretty accurate model fairly quickly and with average modelling skills. If someone like revolution and Rapido were to come forward with an RTR model it would no doubt be a top notch model, but at a price. I don't think it's an either-or situation, Bratchell have a lot of Mk3 based kits in the range and even if the 319 gets picked off by Bachmann, and the 321 by A.N Other, it'll be a long time before the 317s and 445s get done so they still have a niche market.

On the manufacturer's front, Heljan, no thanks, not after the 86, Hornby, forget it, it's not a Pullman or a kettle, Bachmann, I think a 319 is more likely sometime next century, so for speed, quality and interaction with the community it only leaves Revolution and/or Rapido, which is no problem anyway.

In theory, I can alter the poll to cater for alternative modes, I still want to respect you and No Decorum as you have both made a valuable input for this idea.

However, as people have posted here, it may be a bad idea to list off all these different classes in case I lock the thread again. It would be Just my luck!

Shame the poll can't cope with multiple answers as I would be up for both NSE and Silverlink in a Class 321/4.

As for the Bratchell option yes we know they are there and make up a nice unit but unless you are prepared to spend a long time adding details they don't come up to modern RTR levels of detail - and why should they, they were launched to enable average modellers to get a very nice, pretty accurate model fairly quickly and with average modelling skills. If someone like revolution and Rapido were to come forward with an RTR model it would no doubt be a top notch model, but at a price. I don't think it's an either-or situation, Bratchell have a lot of Mk3 based kits in the range and even if the 319 gets picked off by Bachmann, and the 321 by A.N Other, it'll be a long time before the 317s and 445s get done so they still have a niche market.

On the manufacturer's front, Heljan, no thanks, not after the 86, Hornby, forget it, it's not a Pullman or a kettle, Bachmann, I think a 319 is more likely sometime next century, so for speed, quality and interaction with the community it only leaves Revolution and/or Rapido, which is no problem anyway.

I have updated the poll to reflect the class 321/4. I'm sure I may be missing a few liveries but corrections can be made, 

If the N gauge version gets the green light, which I don’t think it has yet, i’m Sure we will see in the fullness of time, with or without this poll, a OO version, since the OO market is many times larger than then N, and hence more profitable...

If the N gauge version gets the green light, which I don’t think it has yet, i’m Sure we will see in the fullness of time, with or without this poll, a OO version, since the OO market is many times larger than then N, and hence more profitable...

The closeness of RevolutioN’s effort for their N-gauge model was the main reason behind this poll. Despite having a drop of numbers since the CAD’s were made, there could surely be a way to get them upscaled for an OO scale model?

If the model were to be made without this poll, that would be brilliant but it seemed a good idea to try and make something a possibility.

What about a 318, or 319 or even a Stanstead express livery 322?

I even believe there were some mk3 body EMUs on the SR, I am sure they would do nicely as well.

The 455, 456 and 442 were MK3 based iirc. There may be others but I can't recall.

The 455, 456 and 442 were MK3 based iirc. There may be others but I can't recall.

There may be a fair few others, but detail differences may be a pain in terms of tooling. These lines of EMU's were previously suggested so the hopes of follow ups is certainly intriguing! If the bodies of the 455/456 and 442's of the centre cars are similar, minus the under frame details, then this could end up being cost effective whilst allowing for multiple variations. One can live in hope!

Whilst I do appreciate the detail the big manufacturers can churn out now, don't underestimate the smaller manufacturers for what they're capable of (cavalex pga anyone?!) and I do like supporting 'the little guy'. On that basis if I did vote then it'd probably be RevolutioN, but not sure they'd want to compete with another smaller supplier.

... so for speed, quality and interaction with the community it only leaves Revolution and/or Rapido, which is no problem anyway.

I'm surprised that there is no mention of Realtrack in the poll?  Rumour has it that Charlie and his team are capable of knocking-out a mean DMU/EMU...  ;)

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1

I'd be happy with Realtrack but seeing as they are only on the second batch of liveries with the 156, which has loads of paint jobs yet to be announced, and following that the 142 I suspect they are fully occupied for the next couple of years.

There may be a fair few others, but detail differences may be a pain in terms of tooling. These lines of EMU's were previously suggested so the hopes of follow ups is certainly intriguing! If the bodies of the 455/456 and 442's of the centre cars are similar, minus the under frame details, then this could end up being cost effective whilst allowing for multiple variations. One can live in hope!

As I said in one of the other topics, classes 317, 318, 319, 320, 321 and 322, plus 455 and 456 all use the same basic body shells, with variations in front end designs and window sizes, toilets, and equipment. I forgot about the class 210 DEMUs as well, but they are probably a step too far!

As I said in one of the other topics, classes 317, 318, 319, 320, 321 and 322, plus 455 and 456 all use the same basic body shells, with variations in front end designs and window sizes, toilets, and equipment. I forgot about the class 210 DEMUs as well, but they are probably a step too far!

I’ve taken that into account. :) that could have been added to the list as well! In account to one of the forum members, it may be wise to focus on one project at a time and then if this is successful, then campaign for other class members then. From your advice, the ability to achieve all this is With the tooling is Sound!

Because I was recommended to focus on the 321/320 first, I ended up locking my older EMU poll. To be honest it looked promising but if someone could restart that poll, it could lead to some interesting results.

I agree it is better to concentrate on the small set of very closely related classes first. My point was that they could easily lead to the other variants as follow-ons in the future. Obviously, some of those types would be easier to do than others ... the 322 was really a minor variation on the 321 to start with.

My own interest is really on Southern-based units - possibly the nearest to the 320/1 would be the 2-car class 456, which shares the cab design, but has the additional jumper cables and bits and pieces covering them.

But yes, concentrate on your initial ideas first. :)