TTS Decoders - Updated JMRI Decoder File - New Update 25/4/20 Britannia, Rebuilt Merchant Navy and Function Labels added to all Locos See page 3

beejack

• RMweb Gold

After recently purchasing and fitting a separate class 31 TTS Decoder, I connected up to JMRI decoder Pro to add it to my locomotive profiles. 

When decoder pro read the chip it could tell me it was a TTS Decoder but couldn't identify it any further, I also noticed the decoder profile hadn't been updated since before the current crop of TTS locos and separately available chips have been made available and as such the Class 31 was not showing as an option to select.

As such I am looking to update the decoder profile so that it will successfully detect and identify the correct sound files using CV 7, CV 8 and CV 159.  JMRI has already been updated to allow this to work and I have successfully got the following to be identified by loco type:

LOCO/CHIP                         CV 7           CV 8      CV 159

Class 20                                 123            048          159              Successfully tested 

Class 31                                128             048          161              Successfully tested 

Class 37 (factory fitted)         120             048          147              Successfully tested 

Class 37 (stand alone chip)  132             048          147              Successfully tested 

Class 40 (D232)                    120             048          151              Successfully tested 

Class 47 (47401)                   120            048          149              Successfully tested     

Class 47 (stand alone chip)   132            048          149              Successfully tested     

Class 60                                  132           048          163              Successfully tested   

All of these are now identified correctly and decoder pro now selects the correct Loco in the profile

note:  CV 158 has been added as at least two locos have the same value in CV 159 and a composite product id has been used. 

The following have been added but still need testing:

• Class 08
  • Class 43 HST (MTU and Valenta)
  • Gresley Class P2 (Cock O’ the North)
  • Class 5MT Black 5 4-6-0  NEW
  • Hall Class 4-6-0  New   24/9/18
  • King Class  4-6-0  New 1/10/18
  • Merchant Navy 4-6-2 New 1/10/18
  • Peppercorn Class A1 'Tornado' New 10/10/18
  • Princess Coronation Class New 16/10/18
  • Castle Class New 16/10/18
  • S15 Class New 16/10/18
  • Lord Nelson Class New 16/10/18
  • Hornby Vent Van 8/12/18
  • J36 Class 0-6-0 31/3/19
  • Class 66  20/05/19
  • Class 50 24/5/19

The following locos have already been added by others, but I can't confirm they are correct and working.

LOCO/CHIP                         CV 7           CV 8     CV 158      CV159   Composite value

Class 67                                 120             048                         153

Duke of Gloucester                                   048                         131   
Flying Scotsman                                       048                         137
Fowler 2P                                                 048          10           143             2703 
9F 2-10-0                                                  048            2           143               655
4F 0-6-0                                                    048                         145
A4 Mallard & Gadwall                               048                         135
P2 Class R3246TTS              1                 048            0           133

Please note
The original diesel locos all had CV 7 set at 120 but with the new breed of stand alone chips these now seem to change and for Decoder Pro to perform properly the CV 7 value range needs to include all available chips

I have attempted to download as many of the TTS sound manuals as possible but Hornby seem to have removed most from their website at present so have not been very successful.

If any one can help with any of the TTS Locomotives or the separately available chips I would be grateful.

To be able to add any others such as the class 08, HST or Tornado I would require the following info:

• Locomotive type
  • Chip Type i.e. TTS factory fitted loco or stand alone chip.  
  • CV 7 value
  • CV 8 Value
  • CV 158 Value.
  • CV 159 Value
  •  

A list of the sounds on each function (especially TTS Locomotives) would be appreciated as I am finding it difficult to source the information to update the sound tab in decoder pro.

If anyone has a TTS fitted Loco or have bought and fitted one of the separate chips and could read the chip and provide the above info I would be grateful.  

The ultimate aim is to post the decoder profile on the JMRI user group for testing and hopefully get it added to the next version of JMRI.

I will update this OP with any info received and notify when the decoder profile is posted on the JMRI user group so anyone with JMRI can test it with their TTS locos and hopefully post here if decoder pro successfully detects it correctly.

Latest TTS Loco Decoder file

Rmweb no longer seems to support XML files please down load the latest file here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACbKTM44wgMhGH3XlJxgeufChkIky1x5/view?usp=sharing

Any issues please send me a PM

Latest TTS Vent Van Decoder File 

HornbyTTS_NonLoco.xml  added 08/12/18

Thanks to the following for info and testing 

cravensdmufan

SRman

Peter Beckett

Traction

RAFHAAA96

Hornby Hobbies

Brian

Edited to clarify chip type.
27/8/18 edited to add CV 158

edited 24/9/18 to replace file with updated file including Hall Class
edited 1/10/18 to replace with updated file including Merchant Navy and King Class

Edited by beejack
link to updated file including class 66 added
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have now uploaded the first update to the JMRI Hornby TTS sound decoder profile.

Updates include:

• Separating the class 37 and class 40
  • Adding the new CV values for the Stand alone chip for the class 37.
  • Adding the Class 20
  • Amending the class 66 to class 67 
  • Amending the sound function entries to reflect the differences between the different Diesel locos.

I have tested the class 31, class 37 both stand alone and factory fitted version, class 40 and class 47 all work using JMRI version  4.13.2 and and on an older version 4.9.8

If any one want to test the decoder profile it can be downloaded from the JMRI group if you are a member or send me a PM and I can send you a link to the file.

To upload the profile into JMRI carry out the following.

• Start decoder Pro.
  • under file select import decoder file.
  • select the TTS decoder xlm file and click open.
  • wait until the import completed box appears and click OK
  • close Decoder pro and restart.

Brian

Hi Brian,

This is an interesting and useful thread.

I have a Hornby Class 60 TTS sound chip, R8104 (which is excellent) fitted into a loco. I also have JMRI.

I have read back CVs on my NCE Powercab and the information you require for this chip is:

• Locomotive type  CLASS 60
  • Chip Type i.e. TTS factory fitted loco or stand alone chip.  STAND ALONE
  • CV 7 value  132
  • CV 8 Value  048
  • CV 159 Value  163.

Thanks for uploading data to JMRI - it will be very useful.

i like the TTS decoders - I have fitted 16 so far into classes 20, 31, 37, 47 and 60.  Particulary impressed with 20 31 and 60.

CDF

Edited by cravensdmufan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian,

This is an interesting and useful thread.

I have a Hornby Class 60 TTS sound chip, R8104 (which is excellent) fitted into a loco. I also have JMRI.

I have read back CVs on my NCE Powercab and the information you require for this chip is:

• Locomotive type  CLASS 60
  • Chip Type i.e. TTS factory fitted loco or stand alone chip.  STAND ALONE
  • CV 7 value  132
  • CV 8 Value  048
  • CV 159 Value  163.

Thanks for uploading data to JMRI - it will be very useful.

i like the TTS decoders - I have fitted 16 so far into classes 20, 31, 37, 47 and 60.  Particulary impressed with 20 31 and 60.

CDF

CDF

Thanks for the info.

I have updated the OP and I have added the class 60 to the decoder file. The file has also been updated on the JMRI user Group.

Give it a try on JMRI if you can.   I have also uploaded it to a file server and can provide the link if you want it.

Brian

I'll try to give you the Merchant Navy details in the near future. I actually took it out of the MN and fitted it into a Standard class 4, because I didn't find it at all convincing in the Bulleid loco.

In the original thread (can’t find it again now) about TTS coding in JMRI, CV158 was cited as an additional delineator between some locos as the LSB with CV159 as the MSB.

Should folk be looking at this CV also.

I will read those TTS I have today and report back any meaningful results.

Rob

I read both of my TTS decoders, one in a ViTrains class 37, removed from a factory-fitted Hornby 37, the other a Merchant Navy in a Standard 4MT.

Class 37 CV7=120, CV8=048, CV159=147

Std 4MT (MN) CV7=050, CV8=025 (I can't explain this - repeated checks came up the same), CV159=050.

These were read on the programming track with an NCE Power Cab. That reading for CV8 on the MN decoder is just weird!

• RMweb Gold

In the original thread (can’t find it again now) about TTS coding in JMRI, CV158 was cited as an additional delineator between some locos as the LSB with CV159 as the MSB.

Should folk be looking at this CV also.

I will read those TTS I have today and report back any meaningful results.

Rob

Hello Rob

Yes you are correct CV 158 has been used to differentiate between the Fowler 2P and the 9F and have high numbers for the identification of the loco of 2703 and 655.   Unfortunately there is no mention in the decoder file as to how these numbers were obtained.   

All the others so far appear to only use the three CV's originally requested.

I have amended the OP to include CV 158 as a valve required  

Brian

Edited by beejack

• RMweb Gold

I read both of my TTS decoders, one in a ViTrains class 37, removed from a factory-fitted Hornby 37, the other a Merchant Navy in a Standard 4MT.

Class 37 CV7=120, CV8=048, CV159=147

Std 4MT (MN) CV7=050, CV8=025 (I can't explain this - repeated checks came up the same), CV159=050.

These were read on the programming track with an NCE Power Cab. That reading for CV8 on the MN decoder is just weird!

Hi SRman

I'm also using the Power Cab  and had similar issues at first.  Both the class 31 and the class 37 reported CV 8 as 008.   Giving the track a clean helped but I think the power cab throws a wobbly every so often.

Do you have the sound manual for the Merchant as this will give you the values for CV's 7,8 and 159?  I'll hold off adding the Merchant for now but will add it to the OP

Interesting with regards the class 37 as my factory fitted class 37 came from the first batch of network rail 37's and CV 159 was 157.  Was your '37' from a later batch?

Brian

• Like 1

I have now uploaded the first update to the JMRI Hornby TTS sound decoder profile.

Brian

Brian,

thanks for picking this up, its only if users make contributions can the JMRI files be improved.  

When its done with some basic testing, can you add the file to the JMRI build please so it gets into regular distribution.  The link for that is here on this page, scroll down to "contributing" and then follow the stuff about raising an "issue" on GitHub.   Attach your new file to the "issue" you create and it will be picked up by the development team.  (There might be a couple of emails back and forth to establish who you are, and sort out copyright legal stuff).

http://jmri.org/help/en/html/doc/Technical/index.shtml

I wrote the original TTS files a long time ago, but I'm never likely to use a TTS decoder, so was always depending on others making contributions.  

- Nigel 

Edited by Nigelcliffe

Hi SRman

I'm also using the Power Cab  and had similar issues at first.  Both the class 31 and the class 37 reported CV 8 as 008.   Giving the track a clean helped but I think the power cab throws a wobbly every so often.

Do you have the sound manual for the Merchant as this will give you the values for CV's 7,8 and 159?  I'll hold off adding the Merchant for now but will add it to the OP

Interesting with regards the class 37 as my factory fitted class 37 came from the first batch of network rail 37's and CV 159 was 157.  Was your '37' from a later batch?

Brian

My 37 was also from the RailRoad Network Rail version (which I sold on, later).

I'll have another go with the 4MT later - it hasn't been run for a while so there could be  a couple of electrical gremlins in the reading.

Hello Rob

Yes you are correct CV 158 has been used to differentiate between the Fowler 2P and the 9F and have high numbers for the identification of the loco of 2703 and 655.   Unfortunately there is no mention in the decoder file as to how these numbers were obtained.   

All the others so far appear to only use the three CV's originally requested.

I have amended the OP to include CV 158 as a valve required  

Brian

Brian

CV158 is shown in Hornby’s Railmaster (RM) read-back listing as Loco Type and CV159 as Sound Mode. I can also get the odd direct reading from CV157 (value 5 or 6) but I have no idea what this represents.

I have also noticed that RM often incorrectly IDs TTS decoders from CV7 as either R8249 or Factory Fit 4 Function and then calls up the wrong CV listing to populate. likewise there is some disparity the TTS Class decoders listed in RMs ‘force decoder’ list and those read back direct using an Elite. This is obviously due to early TTS decoders having the same code as Hornby standard decoders, since changed

I will PM across my findings in a spreadsheet when properly drawn up.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Just tested decoder profiles for stand alone Class 47 and Class 60 TTS decoders.

JMRI reading from both decoders perfectly.

Thanks very much to Brian.

Thanks for the update 

glad it's working for you.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

LNER 2-8-2 P2 Class R3246TTS

cv7 = 1

cv8 = 48

cv158 = 0 (this cv not listed in manual)

cv159 = 133

As per Hornby Manual also read using JMRI

Peter

Hello Peter 

Thanks for the information

Would you be able to give me a list of the sound Functions or attach a copy of the manual as Traction has. Hornby have a link to the sound manual on their website but unfortunately it is behind an admin block and cannot be downloaded.   I can then update the file to include all the sound functions as well.

Thanks 

Brian

For ease of testing  I have now attached the latest file to the bottom of the opening post.    This will now be updated as more locomotive information is received.

The P2 will be added later this evening and the updated file will be available probably tomorrow evening.

Regards

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Hello Peter 

Thanks for the information

Would you be able to give me a list of the sound Functions or attach a copy of the manual as Traction has. Hornby have a link to the sound manual on their website but unfortunately it is behind an admin block and cannot be downloaded.   I can then update the file to include all the sound functions as well.

Thanks 

Brian

For ease of testing  I have now attached the latest file to the bottom of the opening post.    This will now be updated as more locomotive information is received.

The P2 will be added later this evening and the updated file will be available probably tomorrow evening.

Regards

Brian

Brian,

I will scan the TTS Manual today and see if I can convert it into PDF file

Peter  

Couple more ‘manuals’...

..not TTS but may be handy for JMRI anyhow.

More TTS to come once I work out how to find them on the iPad iBooks area.

Rob

Class-5-(Black-5)-LokSound-V3.5.pdf

Class-08-LokSound-V4.0.pdf

Edit: Anyone who downloads a file to an iPad gets the choice of how to open it. If you use Akrobat then you can browse to it later for upload to the forum. If you use iBooks then the only way I have found to get it to the forum is by emailing it to myself, then open it in Akrobat again, then it will be accessible as before.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96