Another Rebranding

So the locos are gonna be white with a yellow diamond logo, or they're peeling off the bump hat logo and replacing it with this on the current livery?

"Excellent work Tarquin and you managed to use the same old railway clichés. Golf?"

C6T.

Ahh, another job given to a six year old with crayons.....

Should have got the old team back that did railfreight sectors.......now that was inspired

Roundel got paid handsomely Rob, that's on record. If Colas paid anywhere near as much for this, they were robbed.

C6T.

Never mind the logo, it's the words that accompany the Youtube presentation of it that deserve some attention:

On the occasion of its 10th anniversary, Colas Rail is adopting a new corporate visual identity.

The company is being transformed and has adopted a new graphic charter and a new logo, the third since it was founded in 2008. Colas Rail has opted for the Colas Group’s symbolic yellow diamond, a logo that reflects Colas Rail’s entry into a new period of growth.

It is essential to keep in mind that although it is not our famous helmet, this new emblem reflects the fact that safety remains Colas Rail’s key value and a 24/7 preoccupation for our personnel at all times for everyone’s safety.

Meanwhile, the only sign of the rebranding on their Rail website, www.colasrail.co.uk, is a link under Recent Tweets to https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1042434872097337344, which in turn links to the Youtube video mentioned in the OP above.

Not even a press release on the website.

But the diamond/lozenge logo does appear on their Projects website, www.colas.co.uk, 

while the bitumen site, www.colasproducts.co.uk, has yet another logo.

It seems a bit disjointed.

Edited by eastwestdivide

Indeed they do!  Who ever writes all this bumpf?  Colas have only been in the rail business for ten years and have a new graphic charter (whatever that is) and a new diamond logo, although how this reflects a new period of growth is unfathomable to most.

I rather liked the 'cycling lion' at least he looked impressive whichever way he faced! :scratchhead:

Brian.

• Like 1

Nearholmer is right. It’s not s re-branding as such as the diamond logo has always existed within the Colas group and has been ever present when talking about the wider Colas group as long as I’ve worked for them.

It’s more about having a consistent brand image across all colas and colas rail groups.

In terms of the locos, as with freigtliner whilst you might see the odd one in a slightly revised livery I suspect the reality will be diamond decals to cover the helmet logo. The cost of re-branding locos is significant not least the time they have to spend out of traffic being unproductive hence why you won’t see a wholesale re-branding.

For what little it’s worth, I never liked the helmet logo anyway. To me, it looks military, like a logo for an American war or a tasteless computer game based on one, rather than signifying “railway”. I guess it’s supposed to signify ‘construction’, but I’m not sure I ever saw a hard hat like that on a construction worker.

post-26817-0-41417000-1537537785_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer

For what little it’s worth, I never liked the helmet logo anyway. To me, it looks military, like a logo for an American war or a tasteless computer game based on one, rather than signifying “railway”. I guess it’s supposed to signify ‘construction’, but I’m not sure I ever saw a hard hat like that on a construction worker.

Totally agree, a hard-hat is totally unsuited to use as a corporate logo in this sector.  This is far more appropriate.

So here's my rewrite of the bumph.

Original:

On the occasion of its 10th anniversary, Colas Rail is adopting a new corporate visual identity.

The company is being transformed and has adopted a new graphic charter and a new logo, the third since it was founded in 2008. Colas Rail has opted for the Colas Group’s symbolic yellow diamond, a logo that reflects Colas Rail’s entry into a new period of growth.

It is essential to keep in mind that although it is not our famous helmet, this new emblem reflects the fact that safety remains Colas Rail’s key value and a 24/7 preoccupation for our personnel at all times for everyone’s safety.

Rewrite:

On the occasion of its 10th anniversary, Colas Rail is adopting the yellow diamond corporate identity of its parent company Colas Group.

The company is being transformed [by xxx*] and is entering a new period of growth [through yyy].

While the famous helmet logo may be disappearing, safety remains Colas Rail’s key value, and a 24/7 preoccupation for all our personnel.

i.e. don't mention the fact that you've had 3 logos in 10 years (it just sounds desperate), and forget the waffle about symbolic yellow diamonds.

*At xxx I'd add something about exactly how it's being transformed, and at yyy something about this growth. But not being privy to that information, I can't elaborate. Maybe if they're expanding away from just infrastructure trains to more general freight, that's the reason for abandoning the (construction worker's) helmet.

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Premium

Never mind the logo, it's the words that accompany the Youtube presentation of it that deserve some attention:

Meanwhile, the only sign of the rebranding on their Rail website, www.colasrail.co.uk, is a link under Recent Tweets to https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1042434872097337344, which in turn links to the Youtube video mentioned in the OP above.

Not even a press release on the website.

But the diamond/lozenge logo does appear on their Projects website, www.colas.co.uk, 

while the bitumen site, www.colasproducts.co.uk, has yet another logo.

It seems a bit disjointed.

Interestingly if you log on to that site then click "about us" you get a page with the yellow diamond!

Keith