Cobalt PSU2+ power supply for NCE Power Pro

dasatcopthorne

Hi Guys.

This could just turn into a silly question but you know how doubts creep in sometimes.

I had to source a power supply for an NCE 5apm Pro-Cab/Power Pro system.

The spec is for 18vac input to the system unit.

I have an 18v DC Cobalt PSU2+ supply.

Does it matter about the polarity of the connection from the transformer into the NCE System unit please?

Dave

You need to work out whether you need a positive or negative centre - this will be shown on the PSU plug, and may be mentioned on the back of the NCE System unit.

That is assuming that the plug is actually the same size and that the power output is sufficient

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys.

This could just turn into a silly question but you know how doubts creep in sometimes.

I had to source a power supply for an NCE 5apm Pro-Cab/Power Pro system.

The spec is for 18vac input to the system unit.

I have an 18v DC Cobalt PSU2+ supply.

Does it matter about the polarity of the connection from the transformer into the NCE System unit please?

Dave

18vDC is entirely suitable for the NCE PowerPro.

The PowerPro that is to hand is marked 18vAC/25vDC MAX.

Connect the A and C terminals on the PSU-2 - they are clearly marked A as positive, C as negative. It doesn't matter which way they are connected to the PowerPro as the first component inside the PowerPro is a bridge rectifier [*]

Slightly O/T, but I have a DCCconcepts PSU-2 powering my Lenz LZV100 without any problems after my original Lenz transformer failed.

[*]Most DCC systems (there is one that does need an AC supply and I can't recall which one) have a bridge rectifier as their first component inside, so feeding with DC when the spec may say AC is OK

[*]

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

You need to work out whether you need a positive or negative centre - this will be shown on the PSU plug, and may be mentioned on the back of the NCE System unit.

That is assuming that the plug is actually the same size and that the power output is sufficient

Thanks Iain but you missed the point.

The NCE system unit quites that the requred input should be 18v AC.

My PSU2+ Power supply is 18V DC.

Is there any problen supplying the NCE system box with DC instead of AC? Nothing about a Centre tapping.

Dave

18vDC is entirely suitable for the NCE PowerPro.

The PowerPro that is to hand is marked 18vAC/25vDC MAX.

Connect the A and C terminals on the PSU-2 - they are clearly marked A as positive, C as negative. It doesn't matter which way they are connected to the PowerPro as the first component inside the PowerPro is a bridge rectifier [*]

Slightly O/T, but I have a DCCconcepts PSU-2 powering my Lenz LZV100 without any problems after my original Lenz transformer failed.

[*]Most DCC systems (there is one that does need an AC supply and I can't recall which one) have a bridge rectifier as their first component inside, so feeding with DC when the spec may say AC is OK

[*]

Cheers,

Mick

Mick.

Thanks for confirming that.

I'll connect it up.

Cheers

Dave