Identify this Unusual Industrial?

To quote Victor Meldrew: "I don't believe it!".

Look what I've just found - I never thought to do a search for Black Hawthorn 1033 before posting, but this worksplate sold at auction a week ago (£2,250), with the following description:

Worksplate BLACK, HAWTHORN & CO ENGINEERS GATESHEAD ON TYNE No1033 1891 ex 0-6-0 ST OC used at West Hallam colliery Ilkeston and named Bernard believed scrapped circa 1941. Oval cast brass face restored.

post-17823-0-99322400-1543532622_thumb.jpg

I'm not convinced this is the one, so any ideas?  The weather board looks a bit Hunslet-like with those square windows, but not much else.

Edited by Osgood

Very in testing loco. You would have very little problem fitting a motor in it. The chimney looks a bit Heath Robinson. Not the original is suspected.

With the extra dead buffers it was either running with civil engineering wagons or the like of the NER P1 hopper.

Any idea of the date of the photo?

Marc

Interesting - I have no clear sense, but the chimney cap and nameplate lettering style look quite 'Hunslet' to me but that's less than conclusive. The loco pictured is clearly a side tank and not a saddletank and clearly has inside rather than outside cylinders which rather rules out the Black Hawthorn... 

The better way to confirm would - I reckon - to find the appropriate IRS handbook and see which of the two machines worked with a Hudswell, Clarke saddletank (in the shed) and what may well be a Manning, Wardle.

Adam

Edited by Adam

• RMweb Gold

To me, the overall look of the thing has a distinct whiff of the garlic about it, and there's more than one way to pronounce "Bernard"....

As for the chimney, I don't think it's been changed. The joint falls exactly where any sheeting between the tops of the tanks would have come if such was originally provided to prevent the large voids on either side of the boiler filling with soot, ash and rubbish.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Solved - thanks to a decent library.  It turned out to be the Hunslet - Wks no 587.  One of a pair, built with 586 in 1894.

I realised I had a copy of The Hunslet Engine Works by DH Townsley (Plateway Press - highly recommended by the way).

Here is a deliberately low res image of a page from the book, showing a convertible locomotive - one of a pair - supplied to the contractor S Pearson & Sons Ltd for use on the construction of the LD&EC Ry Chesterfield to Warsop line.  Later used by them on the GWR Patchway to Wootton Bassett contract (which employed over 45 locos).

The chimney and dome were collapsible to permit use in driving tunnel headings, hence the flange at chimney base.  Looks to be equipped for condensing (for underground work).

So the photo is quite possibly taken on one of these contracts,  explaining the rustic shed!

post-17823-0-50417300-1543602067.jpg

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 4

Solved - thanks to a decent library.  It turned out to be the Hunslet - Wks no 587.  One of a pair, built with 586 in 1894.

I realised I had a copy of The Hunslet Engine Works by DH Townsley (Plateway Press - highly recommended by the way).

Here is a deliberately low res image of a page from the book, showing a convertible locomotive - one of a pair - supplied to the contractor S Pearson & Sons Ltd for use on the construction of the LD&EC Ry Chesterfield to Warsop line.  Later used by them on the GWR Patchway to Wootton Bassett contract (which employed over 45 locos).

The chimney and dome were collapsible to permit use in driving tunnel headings, hence the flange at chimney base.  Looks to be equipped for condensing (for underground work).

So the photo is quite possibly taken on one of these contracts,  explaining the rustic shed!

attachicon.gifConvertible.jpg

Beat me to it! But for the sake of any additional info, here is the response from Peter Holmes on the IRS e-group:

"That's Hunslet 587 of 1894, contractor S.Pearson & Sons, used on

building part of the Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway

(later part of the Great Central). The loco was capable of conversion

to reduced height to fit a small tunnel heading, somewhere in the

Bolsover area from memory. Photos exist of the loco in use and there

are HE 'officials' of it, see D.H.Townsley's 'The Hunslet Engine Works'

(Plateway 1998) page 54. It had a twin, HE 586, called FRANCIS.

I suggest, from its condition, the photo was taken relatively late in

the loco's life. The two were apparently later used on the construction

of the GWR Patchway to Wootton Bassett contract. "

• Like 1

Thanks very much for getting this information DC - much appreciated.  And please thank Peter H.

I'm sorry I beat you to it (only just though!!).

I read a year or two back that DT was working on a second book on Hunslet, featuring their diesel locomotives.

I keep searching for info but nothing yet, has anyone heard anything?

As for the chimney, I don't think it's been changed. The joint falls exactly where any sheeting between the tops of the tanks would have come if such was originally provided to prevent the large voids on either side of the boiler filling with soot, ash and rubbish.

John

Or where the base would be if it had a saddle tank extending over the smokebox?

Either way, inside cylinders doesn't strike me as a common black, hawthorn trait, nor a saddle tank extended over the smokebox. Perhaps worksplates had migrated over the years and confused later observers?

Edited by brack

Since 587 was on the Patchway job, I have the relevant IRS guide!

From that, I can quote some of the dimensions: 2' 9" wheels, 11" x 15" cylinders and a 9' 6" wheelbase. From Patchway it apparently went to Kirk and Randall (Contractors) c.1905.

This begs one or two questions about the photo - there was only one Hudswell, Clarke on the Patchway job and that was an 0-4-0ST (444 of 1895). The loco' pictured seems to be an 0-6-0ST so it must be somewhere else...

Adam