Manor liveries in 1947

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone help with a livery confirmation for me please?

At the weekend I finished off the build of the body and tender for my model of 7804  Baydon Manor (see the Mitchell Manor posts on my blog).   However after searching through my books I have still yet to find a photo of this loco taken in 1947 in order to confirm the livery.

I have checked GWRJ no7 and 7804 is not listed as being in black, so I am assuming green with G W R, however would welcome confirmation. 

7F45BAC0-C09B-426E-BF26-876209A3BC49.jpeg.26f417a804bdc5c0a980fb50f727257b.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
To correct loco number after getting myself mixed up!

• RMweb Gold

According to Peto's Register, 7804 had a scheduled Intermediate repair/overhaul at Swindon in January 1946. Someone better informed than me will hopefully be able to say whether an Intermediate included a full repaint.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have done a little more research this evening although I am no closer to a confirmation.  According to the Pen & Sword book 7808 had a general overhaul into unlined green in 1948 at Laira.  So it would either be in black if it was repainted during the war (it isn’t in the GWRJ list although it is not a definitive list I suppose).  Or it would be in very weathered pre war green (unless it was cleaned up a bit when it visited Swindon in 46 potentially having the tender re branded at the same time).   Then there is the question was the tender GWR or G crest W given that Manors carried both...

still clear as mud.....

Right now I think green with GWR sounds the most plausible so I think I will have to go with that, unless proved otherwise...

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2019 at 20:36, gwrrob said:

7804 was very camera shy but I think she would have been green in our period Rich.

I think you are probably right, just a bit of a pain she was so camera shy.  You’d have though being one of the few Manors in the Bristol area some of the most prolific photographers of the period frequented that they would have got a photo.

As a sample

7817 June 46 black (plated windows)

7811 1946 black (plated windows)

7805 green GWR ex works 1946 (Russell)

7806 1948 all over filth, can’t tell livery 

7808 1948 green

7814 May 1948 at Plymouth green GWR 

7807 July 1948 green with G crest W

7808 August 1948 green shirt button, it’s listed with churchward tender no 2349 and specifically mentions the shirt button.  However I question the date given GWRJ 7 has this loco painted black in ‘43

7818 late 47/48, green G crest W

7819 1945 black with plated windows 

so thats 3 of 9 black,  1 of 9 unidentifiable, 2 of 9 in green with G crest W, 1 in green with shirtbutton and 2 in green with GWR

Edited by The Fatadder
Added another loco
  • Informative/Useful 2