NER/LNER Petrol Inspection Car

micklner

I have very luckily obtained a 4mm 3D print of the NER Inspection car via JCL on here . I have some photos and measurements via Jason for the NER period. It awaits a scratch chassis build at the moment, the chassis in the photo below is off another model.

Does anyone have access to any photos or other information of the vehicle in LNER usage?

I am presuming at the moment it was repainted into mock LNER Teak livery from NER Crimson/Lake ? , a possible colour scheme for the interior  seating would also be of interest please. 

In case anyone hasn't seen this before some photos of the vehicle and the excellent 3d print.

ner railcar 1.jpg

ner railcar new no 1.jpg

ner railcar new no 2.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Ken Hoole did a booklet with drawings and photos  on the NER railcars [and buses], long out of print but an e-version was available via the NER Autocar website at one time.

Walsworth Models does a fine kit for the smallest NER railcar in 7mm Scale, I've yet to build mine.

• Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, Dava said:

Ken Hoole did a booklet with drawings and photos  on the NER railcars [and buses], long out of print but an e-version was available via the NER Autocar website at one time.

Walsworth Models does a fine kit for the smallest NER railcar in 7mm Scale, I've yet to build mine.

I actually have a copy of the Hoole Book ,it has sat on a shelf for years , I never realised it covered Railcars, I thought it was just Buses. Sadly it has the same photo I posted above.

However one useful thing is mentioned, the car carried Teak livery in LNER days.

many thanks

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing it running about :)  Photo on it's way.

If anyone's interested, the other model is by Chris P/Dave, who has put in a chassis and painted it. You can find it here (page 45 1/2 way down):

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Darryl Tooley said:

No 23769 appears in LNER livery as fig 58 in Part 10A of the RCTS  'Locomotives of the LNER' series. It looks very much to have a grained finish.

D

Do you mean 23768 ? 3768 was destroyed in a fire in 1921, and a larger new design was a replacement vehicle becoming 23768 in LNER days.

I have not seen  any mention of  3769 ever being renumbered ( so far). 3769 is the one I am building at the moment.

• Agree 1

Hello Mick

interesting little prototype this one and will follow with interest as I might also have a go a building one.

RCTS 10A gives 3769 renumbering date as March 1927. Also describes the interior as 2 settees and 8 armchairs- all with backs to the sides. There was a table in the corner of the saloon over the petrol tank. No mention of colour scheme for the seats though

North Eastern Record vol 2 has a bibliography that states  info for 3768 in The Engineer  1912, Railway Gazette 1912 and Railway Engineer 1912. 

Can pm you the page numbers if you want to investigate these further.

Jon

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Darryl Tooley said:

Definitely 23769.  The number is clearly visible, as are the clerestory and roof radiators, which the new 3768 didn't have.

D

Thanks for info. If you get a chance can you PM a copy of the photo to me please. I will have a look on eBay for a copy of the book as well.