If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

GW Models wheel press quartering jig

Green Diesels SYP

Hello to everyone at RMweb. I'm new to web posting but not to modelling having collected or modelled most of my life. Having recently retired I have decided to overhaul my Bachmann and Hornby steam fleet, converting to DCC and attempting to cure the stiff running and wobbly wheels that seems to afflict the majority of my fleet to some degree. Therefore I am seeking a GW Models wheel press/quartering jig as I have a feeling that it would make the task a little more straightforward. Recently missed out on an eBay offering so I know what they can bring online.  Nevertheless, if anyone has one, surplus to needs and interested in selling and posting to me in Tasmania, Australia, I am happy to look at your terms. Please PM me – I think is the correct procedure!  Cheers, Malcolm

I think the last one on eBay went for £50 ish. So well worth buying direct

I have one which I have not used in anger yet, I understand with Gibson wheels its best to mate plastic washers to support the wheels, but cannot remember which thread showed you how to do it

Have just spoken to George and while he is still supplying the wheel press, it is for finescale wheels and unsuitable for Hornby/Bachmann.  I'm unclear as to the distinction here but will take George's word for that. Perhaps a more experienced chassis tinkerer than myself could enlighten me here and maybe save me from purchasing an unsuitable jig?

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Green Diesels SYP said:

Have just spoken to George and while he is still supplying the wheel press, it is for finescale wheels and unsuitable for Hornby/Bachmann.  I'm unclear as to the distinction here but will take George's word for that. Perhaps a more experienced chassis tinkerer than myself could enlighten me here and maybe save me from purchasing an unsuitable jig?

The jig is for use with 3mm axles and uses the 1mm screw that forms the core of the crankpin assembly to set the quartering.  I use mine for EM finescale wheels.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

As in Gibson ? (3mm = 1/8th  or have I got that wrong ?)

Gibson 3mm, correct, 1/8 is a tad bigger at 3.175mm.  There is a 3mm guide pin to line up the wheel square which is pushed out as the axle is eased into place, clever design.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

The crankpins on current Hornby Scot/Patriot wheels and other RTR models  make the current press unsuitable for using original manufacturers wheel sets. The crankpins are too large which is a pity really as many newer models have quite satisfactory  wheel sets compared to days  gone by. I have been attempting to make use of as much of the original parts from a defunct Scot chassis as possible on a replacement Comet chassis but have encountered problems all the way. It is a pity really as any saving is being eroded by the issues being encountered. I am beginning to think it would have been easier to go the same route as everyone else and use alternative wheel sets gears and motors.

trustytrev.:)