passenger brakevan - brake gear

Hi,

Ive been building a Rother Valley passenger brake in O but put it aside while i figured out the brake gear, the drawing im working from doesnt show any, the photo isnt clear and close enough.

photo and drawing down this page

http://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/light railway modelling/light railway modelling rvr.html

my model in O. which hasnt yet got any brake gear until ive decided on the arrangement

brakevan_rother_(6).JPG.a47aaca59db642bfa480bcd05f4d8c8c.JPG

but then i came across these 2 of brake van chassis' by Gloucester for East India on the Historical railway images Flickr, which gives me most of it. it is interesting that there isnt any direct connection with the centre shaft and the inner brakes but just to the outer and then there is some sort of connection to the inner hidden behind the wheels which of course will have a crank to reverse the direction

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124446949@N06/48536230056/in/photolist-2ecDoxG-2fmUdvx-2gWZzgp-2gWZNJ1-2gWZC5q-2gWYSdG-NPzTwT-ByurMT-BXpXGh-CN4SGp-28hwrpU-2ecD8WY-2gWHa85-253obeg-21jtNRK-Z3eDDA-V4uaUh-MZayvV-USwWzh-TQuAuo-V7Zmy6-C9SR8V-BjLXBi-PQgMEK

India Railways - East Indian Railway - EIR mineral and freight train brake van (underframe) (Gloucester Railway and Carriage Works, February 1903)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124446949@N06/48536377592/in/photolist-2ecDoxG-2fmUdvx-2gWZzgp-2gWZNJ1-2gWZC5q-2gWYSdG-NPzTwT-ByurMT-BXpXGh-CN4SGp-28hwrpU-2ecD8WY-2gWHa85-253obeg-21jtNRK-Z3eDDA-V4uaUh-MZayvV-USwWzh-TQuAuo-V7Zmy6-C9SR8V-BjLXBi-PQgMEK

India Railways - East Indian Railway - EIR mineral and freight train brake van (underframe) (Gloucester Railway and Carriage Works, February 1903)

My main query is the brake gear for passenger brake vans in the UK and if they follow the same way above how is the hidden part mounted the he chassis. its difficult for my to find any photos or drawing that show what i want

I don't know if this is of help, it's a partly assembled Slaters LMS brake. The are a couple of rocker arms within the wheels which work the brake yokes when pulled by the brake rods:

2009_0219Image0113.jpg.73fed31a1f3ed52f52e6704a9aafe039.jpg

• Thanks 1

Typical British PBVs had brakes like the Gloucester brake above, but with the addition of a vacuum or Westinghouse cylinder operating through a crank on the central brake-shaft. The connection from that brake shaft to the brake blocks, including the lever work to make the outer brakes pull against the inner brakes, is fairly standard. Note that all the brake rods are worked in tension: no push-rods in typical claps brakes. Six-wheeled PBVs typically had brakes on the outer axles only because the inner axle had  too much sideplay for brake blocks to align with the wheels.

HOWEVER: the drawing and photos to which you linked show that the RVR brake is atypical in that it only has brake blocks on one side of each axle and doesn't seem to have a brake cylinder. This is somewhat unusual.

It looks to me like the RVR van has a brake pull-rod from a crank under the handbrake standard that goes to a rocker arm at the other end of the vehicle: this is the upper rod in the drawing. The rocker is pivoted in its centre, which is attached to the brake yoke outside the right-hand axle. The top of the rocker connects to the pull rod from the handbrake, and the bottom connects to the other, lower pull-rod which goes back along the van to the left-hand brake yoke. When the hand brake pulls the top of the rocker, the centre of the rocker moves towards the axle pulling on the right-hand brakes and the bottom of the rocker moves away from the axle pulling on the left-hand brakes. This is broadly the clasp arrangement more typically applied to one axle, but spread here over two axles. 

If the RVR van was always at the back of the passenger train, was always manned, and if the passenger vehicles were all vacuum brakes (as per the other photo and drawing), then I think it would be legal for the PBV to have vacuum through pipes but not actual vacuum brakes. If the train divided accidentally, the fitted vehicles would be stopped by the loss of vacuum and the guard would stop the van with the handbrake. This would work for a slow-speed railway.

Edited by Guy Rixon
  • Thanks 1

Hope you have noticed the foot boards below the guards door, particularly the long top one which extends out to level with the end of the buffer housing. There were similar ones under the doors of the coaches too and they were used by the guard to move from the van down the train from vehicle to vehicle on the move on the outside of the train between vehicles when the line opened to enable him to check tickets, hence the length of the upper ones so he didn't have to make a very big stride. The window end of the van was always marshalled towards the coaches to enable this.

If you are interested I am going to be producing cast resin  sets of just sides and ends for the RVR coaches in 7 mm. in the next couple of months and hoping to have them available for sale in the New Year.  The sides have the solebar as part of the casting and a recess to locate the glazing in the back and the ends have the buffer beam  as part of the casting. If I can source the rest of the parts for my own build of these easily I may later upgrade these to a full kit minus wheels but this will be some time in the future.

Phil Traxson

Port Wynnstay Models

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 1

Just had a look in the Wild Swan "Kent & East Sussex Railway" book by Brian Hart and there is no vac brake cylinder obvious in any of the pictures of the van but it may be inside the van next to the hand brake, which was not that unusual.

Interesting book for light railway enthusiasts, typical Wild Swan quality, plenty of interesting pictures and maps, quite easy to read but very informative but unfortunately no drawings. Made even better for me by the fact I picked it up in 2012 from a book dealer in Llandudno, from a stack of more than a dozen, for half price.

Phil Traxson

Port Wynnstay Models

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 2