7mm FS Turnout kit

bgman

One for the workbench later.

Please let me explain why.

Having made virtually all of the turnouts ( using Templot the templates )  for a new O Gauge layout in progress I needed some two bolt chairs for the plain trackwork.
So I took a big gulp and placed an order with a "certain supplier" some two and a half weeks ago fingers firmly crossed !!!
After several telephone calls my order arrived which was wrong and had to be returned due to three bolt chairs being sent, which was described to me as having a "Tea Pot" moment !
The correct items finally arrived on Tuesday of this week.

In the meantime I decided to place an order on Monday of this week to try a product new to me for three turnout kits from a company called Greenwood Model Railway. I had pondered a purchase previously when seen at a show but hadn't got a specific plan at the time.
A very courteous telephone conversation was had, order agreed, paid for and arrived this morning on time and correct, that is all I need and also almost half the cost of the other suppliers kit !

IMG_1506.jpeg.a429e1f98ac2dc74585b1a04a9242e68.jpeg

I shall look forward to building this turnout over the coming weekend knowing that everything is there.

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Frogs are pre-assembled, switch blades made and just needs assembling, so in my view it is kit of parts.

Hope this answers you question.

Kind regards

G

• Thanks 1

I would also say that the pre-assembled frogs come in a laser cut template ( giving them protection in the post )  which to my mind can be a bonus if further frogs wish to be made by inserting your own cut rail into them .

G

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bgman said:

Frogs are pre-assembled, switch blades made and just needs assembling, so in my view it is kit of parts.

Hope this answers you question.

Kind regards

G

Am I correct in assuming the £82 version is a complete kit which has been pre-made ?

3 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Am I correct in assuming the £82 version is a complete kit which has been pre-made ?

I cannot answer that John as I didn't enquire, sorry.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, hayfield said:

A photo of the kit components would be interesting if possible

John,

It's what is shown in the photograph above, all relevant chairs ( Exactoscale ) laser cut base, switch blade ends done, laser cut gauges ( I will probably use my own but these appear to be spot on when placed on my own turnouts ) and pre-assembled frogs.

Chair layout plan is available to download from the site and for anyone who has built their own from a Templot plan before I think it would come second nature to be honest, and a quicker alternative.

Hope this helps.

G

4 minutes ago, hayfield said:

G

Thanks for the reply

I was more interested in seeing how the common crossing has been assembled and switch blades finished off

Very quick shot taken on my iPhone

IMG_1509.jpeg.43c0df920ba4035279943b6b43fb6b45.jpeg

Frogs are very sturdy, hope this answers your question.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this, I have bookmarked Greenwood.  Sadly it comes a tad late since I just finished the last two turnouts for my layout.  At least I think I did unless I decide to change course again.

These do look good.  I like Exactoscale chairs, I've been using Peco.  I also note that tie bars are available, mine are JLTRT.

Is the base 3mm thick?  It would need to be to match Peco/C&L plain track.

Cheers

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, brossard said:

Thanks for this, I have bookmarked Greenwood.  Sadly it comes a tad late since I just finished the last two turnouts for my layout.  At least I think I did unless I decide to change course again.

These do look good.  I like Exactoscale chairs, I've been using Peco.  I also note that tie bars are available, mine are JLTRT.

Is the base 3mm thick?  It would need to be to match Peco/C&L plain track.

Cheers

John

John,

When I began making turnouts I too started with Messrs. Peco just to try my hand as it was at the time C + L were in transition.

I am certainly happy with what has arrived, plus the customer relations throughout the purchase.

All items are available to order separately and quick to be sent out.

I did ponder on using their tie bars but like you I am using the JLTRT ones from MMI now that they have been made available again. Bought a few packs last year when they were re-released, just in case !

The bases are 3mm and when placed against Peekaboo bases are an exact match so are compatible.

ATB

G

p.s. throughout this post I must state I have no interest other than being an extremely satisfied customer and will continue to use this supplier in the future. 

Hmmmm.  Better and better.  I had a quick look at the site and noted that components are available separately.

I build my crossings in a similar manner to the kit, as a separate sub-assembly.

I'll have to give them a go at some point.

John

• Friendly/supportive 1