Sanda Kan culls client list

DavidB-AU

http://www.modelrailroadnews.com/channels/n-scale/single-article-page/interesting-times/6fa58324da.html

The news is out: Sanda Kan, one of the largest contract manufacturers in China, is culling its client list. Already, S Helper Service, American Models and others have been informed that Sanda Kan will not accept any future orders from them. The scuttlebutt floating around the chatrooms is that the potential list of companies to be cut off could go as high as sixty.

The reason given is that Sanda Kan wants to focus on large clients like Lionel and Atlas. That may be good business from an accounting point of view, but it can put a lot of smaller companies at risk and will very likely mean “adjustments†for us.

Sanda Kan is owned by Kader Holdings, which is also the parent company of Bachmann Industries. Its clients include Atlas, Lionel, Walthers and Hornby. Presumably Hornby would be big enough to be considered a "large" client but this would put a question mark over (relatively) smaller brands such as Intermountain, Red Caboose, Brawa, Micro-Ace and Tomix (for DURM readers - and Austrains, Eureka and Trainorama).

Note there are at least three other Chinese manufacturers with experience in trains which could pick up some of the smaller clients. Regal Way is the contract manufacturer for Heljan and Dapol amongst others (for DURM readers - and Auscision and Powerline). Creative Master, part owned by Tamiya, does Athearn and other model ranges such as Corgi. Modern Gala does some smaller European brands such as RailTop.

Cheers

David

Hi,

Please note that Regal Way is not a 'contracted anything' for Dapol, and we have no contacts with them through either Hong Kong or any of the 2 Dapol factories we currently use, or indeed have used for the last 4 years.

I hope this helps.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Please note that Regal Way is not a 'contracted anything' for Dapol, and we have no contacts with them through either Hong Kong or any of the 2 Dapol factories we currently use, or indeed have used for the last 4 years.

Blame this site. The list on that has been repeated on many other sites since it was first written.

Cheers

David

Hi Dave,

Yes i understand.

What's annoying is that (no finger pointing in your direction here) firstly it was incorrect but written as fact, and secondly lazy journalism has perpetuated the 'myth' on other sites.

I have written to Gareth to ask him to remove this reference from his site however.

cheers

Dave

I can sympathize. I'm in the music business - one of my "beefs" is ensuring the right musicians get the right credit for their work even if they were just session musos. The amount of dross on the internet that gets repeated and treated as "gospel" is, indeed, laughable. I could spend half of my time on the computer correcting the musicians various listed for the track "Hurdy Gurdy Man" alone (and no Jimmy Page is NOT on it but John Paul Jones is....)

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Presumably Hornby would be big enough to be considered a "large" client but this would put a question mark over (relatively) smaller brands such as.... Micro-Ace and Tomix ...

Would be very suprised if Micro Ace and Tomix were effected...they produce considerable more in terms of production runs than Hornby (especially Tomix). Obviously for the Japanese modeller any risk to these two would have a significant impact...think of it in terms of UK modellers losing Hornby and Dapol...blink.gif

The amount of dross on the internet that gets repeated and treated as "gospel" is, indeed, laughable. I could spend half of my time on the computer correcting the musicians various listed for the track "Hurdy Gurdy Man" alone (and no Jimmy Page is NOT on it but John Paul Jones is....)

Best, Pete.

As the saying goes, "If you can remember the sixties, then you probably weren't there" :D

• RMweb Premium

So, what you are saying is that Bachmann now own part of Hornby??

I don't believe that is the case.

Think of it this way. Kader owns many bread rolls one of which is called Bachmann and another is called Sanda Kan. Hornby owed money to Sanda Kan and if the post above is accurate they have bought their way out of debt by purchasing part of that bread roll.

So Bachmann doesn't own a part of Hornby but Kader and Hornby both have some ownership of the same roll which is called Sanda Kan. Taking a bite each, if you like!

Hmm, I guess it depends on how you look at the statement by the poster. I took it to mean that Hornby owed money to Sanda Khan and SK took an interest in Hornby in payment of that debt. Therefore, if it is true, then because Kader now own 100% of SK, they also own part of Hornby, as well as owning Bachmann. So in effect, Bachmann, through their masters Kader, own part of Hornby.

That all supposes the statement has any truth to it. And I must say I don't really believe it.

Archived