Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

Following on from the last page's Amberley "lakes" shot ... at least, I assumed that's where it was, here some of the same class:

Please stand clear of the edge of platform 3; the approaching trains is not scheduled to stop at this ssscchhwwwussshhhhh........

post-8351-0-68180800-1391202327_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Sorting a few old negative I found this taken at Tyseley in 1987. It was the last train from the old Moor St hauled by Clun Castle. I had been messing around at the time trying night shots so set the camera to the get the station exposed correctly.

The camera was Pentax ME Super with HP5 film which I had been using earlier to get some retro atmosphere shots at Moor St.

Quite accidentally I got a Ghost Train effect as the loco passed me.

post-9767-0-59178800-1391722544.jpg

Photo C E Steele

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Remains of Halls Road, Crosskeys 2012

7979128860_f86e2bca38_z.jpg

Halls Road by cymro76, on Flickr

I am definitely getting on a bit - I travelled over that on a train -  and just to show off it was not only a train but a special train which I organised partly to use folks' time during an NUM strike but also to make sure I got a trip over the Halls Road Tramway (as once was).  Class 37, a couple of Grampus and a brakevan - er almost exactly 40 years ago :O .

• Like 2

I am definitely getting on a bit - I travelled over that on a train -  and just to show off it was not only a train but a special train which I organised partly to use folks' time during an NUM strike but also to make sure I got a trip over the Halls Road Tramway (as once was).  Class 37, a couple of Grampus and a brakevan - er almost exactly 40 years ago :O .

I did my A-levels in Crosskeys 1992-94 and used to wander around this area during my lunch breaks. This footpath leads down from the Monmouthshire canal above, crosses Halls Road on the level here and then up and over the Eastern Valley line by the footbridge. I was amazed to find it all still exactly the same 20 years later! The only difference is the Eastern Valley line now has passenger trains to Ebbw Vale again instead of steel trains.

Here is the Halls Road viaduct where the line crosses to the other side of the valley at Pontywaun. The viaduct is listed as the eastern abutment contains the first arch of the original tramroad viaduct:-

12692192093_a5aa5f144a_c.jpg

Viaduct by Stuart, on Flickr

Your mention of travelling on Halls Road has me thinking - I *must* have seen coal trains on the upper end of the line before it closed but I can't specifically remember them. One of my favourite places to be taken as a small child was the level crossing at Cwrt-y-bella at the top end of Oakdale colliery. The disused line to Markham colliery crossed a lane and disappeared into the undergrowth, protected by a rusty searchlight signal. Sadly I don't think we ever took any photos though.

I was reminiscing about all this on Christmas Eve in Tasmania, when I realised that it had been a very long time since I stood and watched a coal train go by:-

12692536304_5fd45d9dcf_c.jpg

Coal Train by Stuart, on Flickr

Edited by sparks
  • Like 3

There's something I find rather fascinating about your latest, Western Sunset!

I like the way the 'rhythm' of the curved line of seats echoes that of the orange doors along the train.  At first, I didn't like the waste bin but it does echo the tower above the train, and the people add human interest.  Even the circular sign on the path fits into the composition  - it should be a GWR 'shirt button' :)  (though not at that location!)

An extra millimetre on the RHS would have got the whole of the end of the train but perhaps cropping a little off - back to the orange - would avoid that slightly unfinished look?

I prefer this to some of your other recent shots where the train seemed too 'incidental' to the scene.

Mike

Edit - I didn't expand the pic to see that it is, in fact, complete :)

Edited by MikeOxon

MikeOxon, on 24 Feb 2014 - 09:50, said:

There's something I find rather fascinating about your latest, Western Sunset!

I like the way the 'rhythm' of the curved line of seats echoes that of the orange doors along the train. At first, I didn't like the waste bin but it does echo the tower above the train, and the people add human interest. Even the circular sign on the path fits into the composition - it should be a GWR 'shirt button' :) (though not at that location!)

An extra millimetre on the RHS would have got the whole of the end of the train but perhaps cropping a little off - back to the orange - would avoid that slightly unfinished look?

I prefer this to some of your other recent shots where the train seemed too 'incidental' to the scene.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Your comments are always most appreciated (honest!). If you click on the image you'll see the whole train. On this website, the right hand side of images often don't appear. Hence the need to left click the picture with your mouse for it all to show.

Thanks Mike. Your comments are always most appreciated (honest!). If you click on the image you'll see the whole train. On this website, the right hand side of images often don't appear. Hence the need to left click the picture with your mouse for it all to show.

i should have realised that you would have got it right - I corrected my earlier comment :)

Mike