Danemouth OO

Danemouth

Nice work so far Dave! Keep it up...

All the best

Simon

Thanks for the encouragement Simon.

I've learnt loads on the first attempt but you reach a point when you know it will never be quite right in your eyes. I know that the compromises would eventually get on my nerves so it's time to put it down to experience and start again!

My interest is operations rather than building and my skills are barely average so whatever I build with be straightforward with the emphasis on running trains.

This has come just right for me - I retire in just over 12 weeks time - that's 86 days today :-)

Regards,

Dave

p.s. I do like St Mary Hoo.

Guest oldlugger

Yes, I hope you have a great retirement Dave. Building model railways at this time could not be a better activity in my opinion.

All the best

Simon

Sorry to hear that Danemouth has hit the buffers. All railways (real and model) are a compromise, but I'm sure its been a good learning exercise for you and I'm looking forward to Danemouth mk2.

Enjoy your retirement.

Dean

Sorry to hear that Danemouth has hit the buffers. All railways (real and model) are a compromise, but I'm sure its been a good learning exercise for you and I'm looking forward to Danemouth mk2.

Enjoy your retirement.

Dean

Thanks Dean, Nick & lmsforever for your good wishes - roll on 30th November - I've been working without a break since 1965 and am now ready to retire!

Danemouth has been a great learning exercise and I've only pinned the track to a fair bit may be salvaged with a bit of luck. Filling the turntable hole in will be interesting though!

Dave

Hi Dave.

Practice makes perfect!

We'd never learn anything if we didn't make mistakes.

One day I will build a better model....

I think I'd be inclined to put house backs with a rear alleyway runing along parallel with the tracks and perhaps a few larger buildings representing BnB's and a hotel or two.

I am developing a dislike for railways that have streets of shops or house fronts facing the tracks, my experience of travelling on the railways being that buildings tended to face away from the railway rather than front it. I also tend to agree with you that embankment walls is also an overused scenic feature.

>SNIPPED

There are examples of a road alongside a railway, with houses that front onto the road and railway.

Coming into Northwich Station from Greenback for example.

I would think that quite a few areas were built up after the railway was built, and the road run alongside the railway.

There are examples of a road alongside a railway, with houses that front onto the road and railway.

Coming into Northwich Station from Greenback for example.

I would think that quite a few areas were built up after the railway was built, and the road run alongside the railway.

Absolutely right Sarah,- but I am a trfle limited in my choice - assemble card kits yes but much beyond that and my inate ham-fistedness well .........

On the existing layout I ended up with the space for the backscene being 6 inches wide narrowing to 3 inches at one point.

I haven't decided whether the new layout will be rural or urban but that will depend to a large extent on what prototype I select in the end.

Regards,

Dave

My problem is that scratch building the architecture is not my forte

Sarah,

I don't for one minute suggest that it didn't happen, I can think of several where it did, even examples with a very high embankment with a road on top and houses facing onto the road and railway. my point was that my recollection of travelling on the railways is more of looking at the back gardens of houses or the backs of terrace houses then the fronts of them. Perhaps I just find that more interesting!

I also think sometimes modellers miss a trick, there can be far more modelling interest in back gardens, back alleyways and the backs of houses then the front and it must be said a road takes up an awful lot of space.

However at the end of the day its Dave's railway and he should model what he wants.

Hi Rovex (I like the screen name, by the way!).

You are quite right, backyards are far away more interesting!

And the space taken by the road is a bit of a waste, unless you happen to like road vehicles, and model a period where you can have a traffic jam.

Dave,

There is nothing wrong with card kits. I happen to like them, and plastic kits as well. Virtually all the buildings on Ffrwd Locks are kits, though I have changed most of them around a bit.

That is the real plus point with kits, it is quite easy to change parts, or even to mix two or more kits together. This is the famous "Kit Bashing". The training ground for "Scratch Building".

You only have to look at the layouts featured in the magazines, to see how many people use the kits. (This can make a good game as well, spot the kit!)

For an example of both a card kit, and the value of back yards, these cottages are a card kit from Metcalfe. (The goods shed is mainly from Wills plastic kit parts.)

DCP13450.jpg

BM3MtTankRailwayCottages2MOD.jpg

Hi Rovex (I like the screen name, by the way!).

You are quite right, backyards are far away more interesting!

And the space taken by the road is a bit of a waste, unless you happen to like road vehicles, and model a period where you can have a traffic jam.

Dave,

There is nothing wrong with card kits. I happen to like them, and plastic kits as well. Virtually all the buildings on Ffrwd Locks are kits, though I have changed most of them around a bit.

That is the real plus point with kits, it is quite easy to change parts, or even to mix two or more kits together. This is the famous "Kit Bashing". The training ground for "Scratch Building".

You only have to look at the layouts featured in the magazines, to see how many people use the kits. (This can make a good game as well, spot the kit!)

Sarah,

Good point about bashing card kits, a friend of mine did a brilliant job of turning the Metcalfe Church into low relief. I am not afraid to give that I go; looking at their new GWR Wayside Halt kit to see if two kits can be merged to build a bigger station.

I really like the Metcalfe kits as photos in this thread show; I did try a couple of Superquick kits but they didn't look that good when placed alongside the Metcalfe ones.

I have looked at plastic kits e.g. the Ratio Station kits but I know there is no way I could achieve the standard of painting I would be happy with! So for me it's either card or RTP - looking forward to seeing the Bachmann version of Highley Station when it's released.

At the back of the new layout I would prefer either the backs of houses or a country road depending on whether I go rural or urban. Oh, and I want a station carpark to plant those bus and car model into - in many ways this layout is also a nostalgia trip for me.

Regards,

Dave.

Hi Dave.

The Metcalfe kits score over the Superquick kits in some ways. They do seem to be well planned.

The Superquick kits have their plus points, and they have been around almost as long as I have!

It would take a bit of planning to mix the two makes, as Metclafe seem to be more "Northern" and rural (Stone built and so on.) and Superquick seem to be more "Southern" and Urban (Brick built, etc.)

Yes, painting is one problem with plastic kits. It usually takes longer than putting the kit together. I suppose this is why so many Airfix Spitfires were flying around in "Works Grey"! ;)

I tend to agree with the previous post - Metcalfe kits suggest Lancashire/Yorkshire and points North thereof to me, whereas Superquick kits shout "Home Counties" to me.

Have you ever looked at the Prototype Model card kits of actual GWR structures.

They are a bit long in the tooth now but with care can be made up into fairly convincing structures.

They can sometimes be obtained new or picked up on Ebay at reasonable prices when no "daft" bidders are active.

I tend to agree with the previous post - Metcalfe kits suggest Lancashire/Yorkshire and points North thereof to me, whereas Superquick kits shout "Home Counties" to me.

Have you ever looked at the Prototype Model card kits of actual GWR structures.

They are a bit long in the tooth now but with care can be made up into fairly convincing structures.

They can sometimes be obtained new or picked up on Ebay at reasonable prices when no "daft" bidders are active.

David,

Never heard of them until somebody mentioned them at the club last Monday - now there's a coincidence!. I did a quick search on Google but there don't seem to be many stockists.

As it happens I will be operating on a layout at the Cardiff Show in October - I will be trawling the traders looking for them and other bits and pieces which is not something I normally do.

Regards,

Dave

David,

Never heard of them until somebody mentioned them at the club last Monday - now there's a coincidence!. I did a quick search on Google but there don't seem to be many stockists.

Regards,

Dave

http://www.freestonemodel.co.uk/userimages/forum.htm - You might need to click at the bottom of the page to get to the front page of the site.

I think this site may be the spiritual home of the Prototype Models card kits range as well as several other card kit ranges that I had lost track of.

Unfortunately it would appear that the speed of re-releasing many kits in the various ranges is rather slower than glacial at the moment

http://www.freestone...mages/forum.htm

I think this site may be the spiritual home of the Prototype Models card kits range as well as several other card kit ranges that I had lost track of.

Unfortunately it would appear that the speed of re-releasing many kits in the various ranges is rather slower than glacial at the moment

Thanks for the link David, as you said all the GWR stuff appears to be out of stock; it will be interesting to see if anybody has them at the Cardiff Show.

Brian BR2975 tells me that one of the dealers at a small show in Swansea last weekend was selling them.

Regards,

Dave

I have looked at plastic kits e.g. the Ratio Station kits but I know there is no way I could achieve the standard of painting I would be happy with!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Buy a small, relatively cheap kit building first - bring it to the club one Monday, and we'll start from there.

Messrs Taylor & Kent, and others like them had to start somewhere Dave.....

Brian

Archived