Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Could you give any more details on the source of the strip cutter and whether you think it'd work well on 5 thou? I don't have a guillotine either currently but i'd like to find alternatives to the ruler and knife approach I currently try.

I was under the viaducts last week on a visit to Deansgate so its great to compare how well you've captured them on the model.

Could you give any more details on the source of the strip cutter and whether you think it'd work well on 5 thou? I don't have a guillotine either currently but i'd like to find alternatives to the ruler and knife approach I currently try.

I was under the viaducts last week on a visit to Deansgate so its great to compare how well you've captured them on the model.

Hi, Craig

I can't remember if I have given details of the strip cutter before. I know I prepared a review of it sometime back, so I must have forgotten to post it

So here goes -

The tool being reviewed is -

Master Airscrew - Model MA4000 - Balsa Strip Cutter

Manufacturer - Windsor Propeller Company, Inc. Rancho Cordova, California, USA

Supplied by - Sussex Model Centre, 57-59 Broadwater Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN14 8AH

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk

Cost - £6.59 + p&p

post-10633-0-52754700-1314292926_thumb.jpg

The cutter comes complete with a No.11 scalpel blade

Range of adjustments

Cutting width - 0 to 20mm (continuous adjustment by knurled knob)

Cutting height - 0 to 8mm (set by blade height - clamped by two cross-head screws)

Examination of the cutter

Two possible faults were found which could affect the performance of the cutter

1. The face of the base which bears against of the plastic being cut was not straight/flat

post-10633-0-67509900-1314292969_thumb.jpg

This was due to shrinkage of the moulding between the base webs

This could affect the actual cut width

See A in the Summary later in this review how the reviewer checked that this would not have any adverse effect, and how to correct it if there was a possibility an adverse effect

2. Thread backlash

This allowed the blade carrier to move by up to 12thou affecting the cut width

See B in the Summary later in this review how the reviewer checked and reduced this to almost zero

post-10633-0-21292700-1314293042_thumb.jpg

Cutting Tests

Tests were carried using 10thou and 20thou plasticard

The plasticard must be placed on a firm, flat and non-slip surface and held firmly whilst using the cutter

Test 1 - Cutting 20thou plasticard

Blade set to 80thou width and blade tip to 12thou above base

Keeping cutter base tight to edge of plastic, the cutter scribed the plastic from end to end of a 200mm piece of plasticard

The plastic strip was then snapped from the plasticard, and the width checked at a number points along its length with a digital caliper

The width was seen to be within 0.5thou of the nominal set cutting width

Test 2 - Cutting 10thou plasticard

Blade set to 80thou width and blade tip to 5thou above base

Keeping cutter base tight to edge of plastic, the cutter scribed the plastic from end to end of a 100mm piece of plasticard

The plastic strip was then snapped from the plasticard, and the width checked at a number points along its length with a digital caliper

Test 3 - Cutting 10thou plasticard

Blade set to 40thou width and blade tip to 5thou above base

Keeping cutter base tight to edge of plastic, the cutter scribed the plastic from end to end of a 100mm piece of plasticard

The plastic strip was too narrow to snap without distortion, so the plastic was turned over and scribed again. The strip was cut clean through from the plasticard. The width checked at a number points along its length with a digital caliper

Conclusion

The cutter performed well within the required tolerances of ±1thou, and is recommended for cutting thin strips from plasticard, reducing the requirement for purchasing microstrip

Summary

A. Before the blade is fitted to the cutter place a straight edge against the face of the base

If the point (say C) on the face where the blade is fixed and the cutting width is measured from is not touching the straight edge, then the cutting width cannot be set correctly

The face should be filed flat until the point C does touch the straight edge

B. Before the blade is fitted to the cutter, grip the cutter base in one hand and the blade carrier in the other hand, and attempt to move one against the other. Any perecptable movement is thread backlash

Strips of 5 or 10 thou plastic should be fixed either side of the knurled knob, between it and the blade carrier to reduce the backlash

Alternatively there is a screw head showing behind where the blade sits which can be tighten holding the knurled knob tightly with the other hand. Overtightening will prevent the knob from turning completely

post-10633-0-59656600-1314293022_thumb.jpg

------

Found some problems when cutting long 20thou/10thou strips -

The first score/cut is OK, but when I turned over the sheet to score/cut from the other side to complete the cut, I found the the strip has sprung up and keeping the cutter tight to the sheet makes it spring up even more - resulting in a strip which is wider than required and has a bevel edge

post-10633-0-43769000-1314293364_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-91186000-1314293387_thumb.jpg

So to overcome this problem, a simple finger spring was developed and fixed to the strip cutter - this keeps the edge of the sheet/strip flat against the cutting mat good cut to be made

post-10633-0-06649700-1314293407_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-20292000-1314293427_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-94138200-1314293447_thumb.jpg

It works fine now - cut strips are now OK

Hope this answers a few of your questions

I haven't cut a lot of 5 thou plasticard with it yet, but seems to work OK

Cheers

Ron

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

The overhead bracings for the first two viaduct span/deck sections are complete & fixed -

post-10633-0-28345400-1314482396_thumb.jpg

Span #1

post-10633-0-90569500-1314482421_thumb.jpg

Span #2

post-10633-0-18777000-1314482444_thumb.jpg

Span #2 - slightly different view (test bracing beam in background)

.. have project problem now, running out of storage space for more viaduct sections - will have to speak to SWMBO about some slight re-arrangements (temporary, of course)

- alternatively, may try and complete the train shed roof structure, but even this will need storage space (but of a slightly different form)

I have an idea which will have to discuss with SWMBO, and hopefully she will agree (she usually does as it doesn't interfere with her domains) :meeting:

- be back soon with the agreement :sungum:

.. to be continued - one way or another >>>>>

• Like 3

Just plain commonsense did it, and of course I got the usual retorts - 'I hope isn't going to make a mess' and 'I hope you don't think I'm going to get up there and dust that lot' :nono: - other than that it was all plain sailing

Well it's going to be a 2.4 metre x 1 metre overhead open frame shelf structure at approx. 1.5 metre above the floor over my modelling/computer desk - SIMPLES :sungum: (too high for SWMBO to dust)

So I will complete the Train Shed Roof structure, then continue with the viaduct

Cheers

Ron

• Like 2

I take the Man Cave is taking Spanish-time to complete then?

It's part of the reason I decided to make my modelling empire a part of the underside of the house - out of sight, out of the way, just keep checking for ants, cockroaches, skinks, spiders and the odd furry marsupial.

I take the Man Cave is taking Spanish-time to complete then?

It's part of the reason I decided to make my modelling empire a part of the underside of the house - out of sight, out of the way, just keep checking for ants, cockroaches, skinks, spiders and the odd furry marsupial.

Hi, Ian

Given up worrying about the building licence - it will come when they decide to get back from the holiday season, etc.

Geckos and ants are the main interlopers - geckos will be no problem as they are only after insects - ants will be dealt with ongoing

Anyway on with the modelling

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

those spans look great, and it's good to know you got your storage permission sorted out. Will be good to watch another aspect of your project take shape. :clapping_mini:

Colin

Hi, Colin

Thanks for your multiple Like This, and your comments - have been told by SWMBO that I must continue with both the Viaduct and the Train Shed at the same time, as she is watching the construction and likes it :triniti:

So it looks like I will be using both pairs of eyes and hands :rolleyes:

Going to have to sort out a bigger worktable though :scratchhead:

Cheers

Ron

Modelling table duly installed - even SWMBO helped me bring it up from the underbuild storage area - I'm sure this is leading up to something cool.gif

post-10633-0-54556300-1314547554_thumb.jpg

The existing restricted model storage space can be seen in the background

Now in the process of reprinting the Train Shed Roof structure template to replace the scrappy one on the 1200mm x 600mm plywood work surface sitting on the 1200mm x 1200mm modelling table

Doesn't it look spacious compared with my present A3 portion of the A2 cutting mat small.gif

Have to go to the Brico (DIY store) tomorrow to get the wood required for the overhead shelving - then its full steam ahead

Ron

• Like 3

The Train Shed - a reminder -

.. a few pictures of progress to date - last build was April 2010, so it is about time to go for completion

post-10633-0-80106800-1314549155_thumb.jpg

Eight single spans not shown - Six of which have still to be completed

post-10633-0-53226100-1314549211_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-71882400-1314549258_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-21596500-1314549311_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-19975800-1314549362_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-13872400-1314549397_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-96395000-1314549434_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-65129800-1314549486_thumb.jpg

Build status -

post-10633-0-26603300-1314550044_thumb.png

Plan showing extent of progress

Red - complete

Blue - to be completed

.. to be continued >>>>>

• Like 8

Ron!!!!

Now this next comment might be seen as maybe taking some of the fun out of it...... But I have a question.

Taking into account that a lot of the structures such as the viaduct and the station roof use such a large number of multiple and identical components. Is there an economic consideration to finding a business that can produce the parts quickly from your CAD drawings?

Or is the Spanish heat prolonging the madness and forcing you onwards to construct your unique creation, knowing full well that only you have the parts.... What is the Spanish for "It's mine !..... all mine I tell you!!!!!!!!"

One again. Good work fella.

Ron!!!!

Now this next comment might be seen as maybe taking some of the fun out of it...... But I have a question.

Taking into account that a lot of the structures such as the viaduct and the station roof use such a large number of multiple and identical components. Is there an economic consideration to finding a business that can produce the parts quickly from your CAD drawings?

Or is the Spanish heat prolonging the madness and forcing you onwards to construct your unique creation, knowing full well that only you have the parts.... What is the Spanish for "It's mine !..... all mine I tell you!!!!!!!!"

One again. Good work fella.

Hi, Nile

If the object was to make items for others, as say a business venture, then yes, finding a manufacturing business that could reproduce the parts in quantity would be the way to go

But for a one off the cost would be prohibitive - the material cost may be the same, but the setting up costs, labour costs, overheads and profit would all be on costs, which I don't have to pay myself

The cost of plastic to build the Castlefield Viaduct is well under £40 inc p&p to Spain

Whilst I might be constructing these models for myself, I don't really consider them in that light - 'Lo mío es mío te digo' - or I wouldn't be sharing all the build info, etc. with you and all those following this thread

If anyone requires prints of the parts templates/drawings, you only have to ask

Cheers

Ron

Ron!!!!!!!!

You got half of Central manchester on your shelves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm off to put my hands in a mincer)

Cheers

Nile

Hi, Nile

I wish there were more - you would think that during the latter part of the 19th century and whole of the 20th century that all the streets and buildings in Central Manchester would have been photographed and archived/published in some form or other - but no, some very distinctive buildings appear to have been built and used for over 100 years, and still no photographic records/building plans, etc. available, except OS maps - talking to other Mancunians, they can recall the buildings, but not in sufficient detail to even attempt a model - 20 to 40 years after demolition the memory fades quickly

Cheers

Ron

So who is going to keep it all clean and dusted when its finished? :O

Magnificent modelling, all the same :derisive:

Hi,

Guess who - me of course - too much detail, etc. will be on the layout to allow SWMBO anywhere near it with a duster :nono:

Don't seem to get a lot of dust inside the villa - must be the mountain air :sungum:

.. mind you it doesn't stop the duster and Dyson dance being performed every afternoon - must be a habit bred in the UK :scratchhead:

Cheers

Ron

Come to our place - the Australian climate means all you remember is diesel and dust. We built the house facing west - dust all the time into the man cave!

Hi, Ian

So your prevailing winds are from the West also

The underbuild/railway room access is on the East side, so the wind won't be blowing in that side. With a bit of luck it should draw any dust out :taunt:

Cheers

Ron

Well I've made a re-start -

The roof span template is in place ready for the curved plastic strips to be positioned and held temporarily by panel pins

post-10633-0-59992000-1314569049_thumb.jpg

Will report as the build progresses

... to be continued >>>>>

Hi, Colin

Thanks for your multiple Like This, and your comments - have been told by SWMBO that I must continue with both the Viaduct and the Train Shed at the same time, as she is watching the construction and likes it :triniti:

So it looks like I will be using both pairs of eyes and hands :rolleyes:

Going to have to sort out a bigger worktable though :scratchhead:

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the thanks, it's nice to see who appreciates what you post on here, even if they don't comment on it. :clapping:

If you are under orders to complete both the train shed roof and the viaduct now, how long before you will be told to start getting the baseboards ready to fix the structures to (think there are a few people who read this waiting to see the baseboards under construction as well :D ) I take it the train shed roof was kept in small segments purely for storage.

Colin

post-10633-0-37430600-1314630265_thumb.jpg

Purchased a few years ago, before the strip cutter came into the frame

(Edit: Photo added 16.05 29.08.2011)

Have just been gathering all the strip components for the Train Shed Roof build, and comparing the cost of Evergreen Plastic strip I beams EG274 (3.2mm height x 1.8mm wide) with producing my own from 20thou strip

The best price you can achieve is £2.99 (upto £3.11) per pack of 4 pieces approx 350mm long - that's about £0.75 per piece :scratchhead:

Using Javis 20thou styrene sheet in packs of 12 (approx 225mm x 305mm) for £4.91, and cutting into strips to make the same size beam

- I can produce over 35 beams per sheet - each sheet is approx £0.41 - that makes each beam is approx £0.012 each :mail:

I can make 62 beams for the cost of a single Evergreen beam, that is some cost saving :O

Time is a factor of course, but even for me who requires some 180 I beams (45 Evergreen packs ~ £135) against the cost of 5+ sheets of styrene at ~ £2.46

The cost savings of £132+ is substantial, and could go towards another loco :locomotive:, or 40+ packs of the amber nectar :drinks:- much better than 40+ packs of Evergreen :bad:

That makes me smile a lot :sungum:

- back to the strip cutter and cutting mat :victory:

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1