Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

There was another build on RMweb that used Shapeways or someone similar to build canopy supports using rapid prototyping. Can't remember the layout now though. Maybe send Shapeways the CAD file for a quote? Can't imagine me ever having the patience to build hundreds of little posts to any level of accuracy!!!!

Impressive work Ron, particularly using 20 thou in the heat of Spain! I suspect your easiest method of doing the support columns other tham commisioning some from one of the small casting manufacturers will be to construct a master out of brass and then possibly casting them yourself out of resin. Once you get the production line going its not too bad!! Top brackets out of etched brass? Geoff taylor did some for Caleyman for his Eskmuir layout - they look fairly similar and it might be worth checking Geoffs website out.

http://www.gtbuildingsmodels.co.uk/

Andy

There was another build on RMweb that used Shapeways or someone similar to build canopy supports using rapid prototyping. Can't remember the layout now though. Maybe send Shapeways the CAD file for a quote? Can't imagine me ever having the patience to build hundreds of little posts to any level of accuracy!!!!

Hi, Ian

Rapid prototyping is expensive for anything other than commercial ventures

3D printing I have tried, but the surface finish is just not up to much

Looks like resin moulding is the way forward, just need to build a master. I am thinking of using resin moulding to produce the remaining 14 piers for the viaduct

Cheers

Ron

Great start, Ron!

There's also York Modelmaking (http://www.yorkmodel...delrailway.html) who do laser cut pieces which might be of use. Saw them mentioned in one of the 2011 Challenge threads.

I have seen their work, but it costs far too much for what you get. Maybe ok for the occasional one off, or for exhibition layouts working to deadlines with more than one person contributing to the costs

Ron

Impressive work Ron, particularly using 20 thou in the heat of Spain! I suspect your easiest method of doing the support columns other tham commisioning some from one of the small casting manufacturers will be to construct a master out of brass and then possibly casting them yourself out of resin. Once you get the production line going its not too bad!! Top brackets out of etched brass? Geoff taylor did some for Caleyman for his Eskmuir layout - they look fairly similar and it might be worth checking Geoffs website out.

http://www.gtbuildingsmodels.co.uk/

Hi, Andy

As I suspected Geoff's etched brackets are a different design and size. May have a go at producing them in plastic first before going for an etch - 102 needed on 51 columns

Cheers

Ron

Going to a meeting on Monday night about resin moulds and casting stuff that cannot be purchased in a store. Should be interesting. If I learn anything I will let you know!

Currently my knowledge is restricted to silicone rubber moulds for making bricks.

Hi, Andy

As I suspected Geoff's etched brackets are a different design and size. May have a go at producing them in plastic first before going for an etch - 102 needed on 51 columns

Cheers

Ron

Rather you than me Ron, but if it proves onerous its worth giving Geoff a call to price the etchings as you already have the artwork - He did the window frames for my goods shed on New Hey as they were an oddball size and i didnt fancy evenings messing with microstrip :blink:

Going to a meeting on Monday night about resin moulds and casting stuff that cannot be purchased in a store. Should be interesting. If I learn anything I will let you know!

Currently my knowledge is restricted to silicone rubber moulds for making bricks.

Hi, Ian

I was just about to order the silicone rubber and casting resin, but will wait for any info. you can get, just in case as this will be my first venture into casting, etc.

Cheers

Ron

Rather you than me Ron, but if it proves onerous its worth giving Geoff a call to price the etchings as you already have the artwork - He did the window frames for my goods shed on New Hey as they were an oddball size and i didnt fancy evenings messing with microstrip :blink:

Hi, Andy

Thanks for your info. much appreciated

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

With starting work on the station canopies, I forgot to post the pictures of the finished Span Beam S2B (179mm long) -

40_091143_550000000.jpg

40_091143_550000001.jpg

- just making up another batch of trusses so I can start Span Beam S2A (370mm long)

post-10633-0-31836200-1310230371_thumb.png

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ron, I would reccomend etching for the support brackets. I did mine for Green Ayre in 0.3mm brass (1/2" plate in 7mm) and designed them to fold over to give some thickness. The test etch went fine and the production ones should be with me shortly now that I'm back from holiday. The columns are resin castings made from a brass master and cast with M2 threaded rod (bought from an aero modelling shop) through the centre so that they can be screwed down. I used York modelmaking for the glazing bars but they are pricey. Once my production etches arrive I will have a go at making a couple of awing panels with getters etc to see how everything goes together.

Jamie

Note to myself, if you don't watch this thread everyday, don't be surprised by how much has been done :lol:

Hi Ron,

looks like you have made a good start on the station canopies as well as continuing with viaduct spans. Will you be splitting the station canopies into another thread or keep them within this one?

Colin

Hi Ron, I would reccomend etching for the support brackets. I did mine for Green Ayre in 0.3mm brass (1/2" plate in 7mm) and designed them to fold over to give some thickness. The test etch went fine and the production ones should be with me shortly now that I'm back from holiday. The columns are resin castings made from a brass master and cast with M2 threaded rod (bought from an aero modelling shop) through the centre so that they can be screwed down. I used York modelmaking for the glazing bars but they are pricey. Once my production etches arrive I will have a go at making a couple of awing panels with getters etc to see how everything goes together.

Jamie

Hi, Jamie

I have already produced the etching drawing ready to go

Just have to make the master column ready for the mould production and the castings. The threaded rod for fixing the columns is a good idea which I will take up, Thanks

The glazing bars, etc. will be produced from plastic strip over a template, painted and then fixed over frosted glazing sheet - in a similar way to the Train Shed gables

Cheers

Ron

Note to myself, if you don't watch this thread everyday, don't be surprised by how much has been done :lol:

Hi Ron,

looks like you have made a good start on the station canopies as well as continuing with viaduct spans. Will you be splitting the station canopies into another thread or keep them within this one?

Colin

Hi, Colin

Have at least three build projects on the go at present

I will keep the canopies, etc. all in this thread, so as not to confuse followers of these builds

Have now started the build of the 65ft station turntable - table first then the well - this will be a slower build, fitting it in between the viaduct and canopy constructions

The first batch of viaduct deck beams are under construction

Will post pictures, etc. when I have something meaningful to show, etc.

My two week break ends tomorrow, so will be able to speed things up a bit yes.gif

Cheers

Ron

Hi, Colin

Have at least three build projects on the go at present

I will keep the canopies, etc. all in this thread, so as not to confuse followers of these builds

Have now started the build of the 65ft station turntable - table first then the well - this will be a slower build, fitting it in between the viaduct and canopy constructions

The first batch of viaduct deck beams are under construction

Will post pictures, etc. when I have something meaningful to show, etc.

My two week break ends tomorrow, so will be able to speed things up a bit yes.gif

Cheers

Ron

As if watching your build of the viaducts wasn't enough, three projects under way together will probably have me watching this thread all day now! <_<

Colin

Nice work, Ron. I really like your methodical approach to complicated structures - it's the only way, I think.

Best, Pete.

Hi, Pete

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated

For large projects methods and planning are paramount

Although some may say 'there's method in your (my) madness' laugh1.gif

Cheers

Ron

As if watching your build of the viaducts wasn't enough, three projects under way together will probably have me watching this thread all day now! dry.gif

Colin

Hi, Colin

Don't have a webcam set-up rolleyes.gif, so you will only get updates either late night or early morning (dependant on stage completions and photo lighting conditions)

I only model in the evenings, and produce drawings,etc. during the early morning - as it's too hot, and I have SWMBO tasks during the main part of the day yes.gif

Cheers

Ron

Hi, All

I have had a request to build and sell bridge components - not really on, as it would cut dramatically into all my ongoing layout structure construction

However, I would consider one-off unique bridge constructions - preferably scaled prototypes - the more spectacular the better - if anyone is interested just PM me

Ron

Sorry Ron - I thought our mould making session was last night but it turns out it is about two months away! If you need info on moulding materials etc, look for suppliers to the film and TV industry. The local company here in Brisbane is called Barnes and they have a mind-boggling range of stuff to choose from. I use a product called Pinkysyl silicone rubber compound to make my bricks but you may need a harder material to create resin products from.