Which class 37 had the Railfreight General livery?

MrB

Does anyone know which class 37 had the Railfreight General user on one of its sides for a short non-traffic spell?

I have seen a picture in the last year of the railway magazines, but couldn't find it when I went to look again for it.

Also if any one has any pictures it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Roy

The one I'm looking for never carried the general user in traffic, and had distribution on one side and the general user on the other with what looked like a yello name plate.

Regards

Roy

Do you mean 37673? IIRC this loco carried a yellow-backed 'Railfreight' nameplate for the launch of the new brand identity at Ripple Lane in October 1987.

That sounds like the one i'm looking for.

Thank you,

Will have to keep an eye out for photos now.

Roy

Do you mean 37673? IIRC this loco carried a yellow-backed 'Railfreight' nameplate for the launch of the new brand identity at Ripple Lane in October 1987.

Rats. I replied this morning saying it was 37673 and then had an attack of doubt. Should have stuck to my guns...

37403 also carried General logos on one side only for one night only in July 1989. When they were replaced with RfD logos it ended up with Class 47 spec logos.

That's also an interesting one, was thinking of modelling one of these less seen locos.

Thanks

Roy

Hi all

37403 carried this livery for one night only i think it may have been for a Railfreight callender night-time shoot on the Forth Bridge

the callender showed all the new liveries coal metals etc iat this time i think the loco was named Glendarroch.

regards

Dave

Thanks Dave, looks like the callender would be a bible for the liveries.

Will have to keep an eye out for it.

Roy

• 6 years later...

What traffic would "Railfreight General" have been responsible for? I recall seeing the logo in promotional material and I know it was applied to a handful of locos.

Something at the back of mind suggest that General would have been used as an umbrella for multi trainload sector business, is that correct?

• 3 weeks later...

The November 1987 Motive Power Monthly has a slightly blurry picture of 37673 with the said "Railfreight" nameplates and Railfreight General user logos. I also read somewhere that the upper grey band was too light and so was quickly repainted.

I'd like a Railfreight General 37 either 104 or 403. I'm not sure which to do.

MPM really was a good magazine for full page colour photos at the time.

Cheers,

Andy

MPM really was a good magazine for full page colour photos at the time.

Agree that MPM was excellent.  I used to get it every month but foolishly disposed of them after I read them.  How I wish I still had them now!  It's the very period I now model!  Excellent photo references and livery changes, MPD allocations etc.

Editor was dibber25 of this parish.

If I spot one at a MRE or charity bookshop I'll buy it.  Was lucky enough to get a full 1990 set for £1 last year.

Single copies readily available on eBay but postage makes them expensive.

Archived